• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Guy

Steve1031

Hi everyone! Noob here. I just bought a 1986 M1031 today. I have a couple of questions. First, is this truck worth more with the big box on the back? Reason I am asking, I would like to put a regular pick up bed on the back. Is this a no-no in the eyes of the collector types? Secondly, this truck seems to have some of what I call "torque steer" When you are cruising down the road at light throttle, then floor it, the truck veers to the left. If you take your foot off the gas, it veers to the right. Basically, any sudden change in throttle, the truck is all over the road. I thought maybe the axles were loose on the springs, but they look ok. Granted, it has been many years since I was a 63B, but I do not remember these things driving this way. Thank you all for your advise and I will be searching this wonderful site!

Steve

1986 M1031

davidkroberts

welcome...

and its your truck dude, do whatever makes you happy you dont have to answer to anyone except yourself and maybe the wife. As far as the truck shifting on you Ive never heard about that happening, are the bushings worn out?

4bogginchevys

my 1008 was doing that just last week, it was my draglink...loose in the "socket" on both ends. I suspect that a loose stearing box (old and tired) could also be the problem sometimes. Mine started doing it about a week after I greased it....must have pushed out the only support left! While your there have a buddy shake the steering wheel and give it a good once over on the tie-rod. Good luck:-D

Scarecrow1

Welcome and hello ,
I don't think the Question of worth is really that important . What you want out of the truck is. As far as the steering problems you need to get the truck on a lift and search for something loose or broken . Don't stop until you find the problem . That isn't safe for you are anyone else on the road with you. Good luck .

Crash_AF

Hey Steve,
It's your truck, do what you want with it. If you do decide to get rid of the electrical stuff in the box, I'm looking for some parts for my 1031. Drop me a PM if you're interested.

Thanks,
Joe

Stonepicker1

Hi everyone! Noob here. I just bought a 1986 M1031 today. I have a couple of questions. First, is this truck worth more with the big box on the back? Reason I am asking, I would like to put a regular pick up bed on the back. Is this a no-no in the eyes of the collector types? Secondly, this truck seems to have some of what I call "torque steer" When you are cruising down the road at light throttle, then floor it, the truck veers to the left. If you take your foot off the gas, it veers to the right. Basically, any sudden change in throttle, the truck is all over the road. I thought maybe the axles were loose on the springs, but they look ok. Granted, it has been many years since I was a 63B, but I do not remember these things driving this way. Thank you all for your advise and I will be searching this wonderful site!

Steve

1986 M1031
Steve,

Check your rear tires, if one is worn more than the other or diferent size it will cause your"torque steer"

jimmy-90

A while back I used to drive around in an 84 bronco that had a 9" rear swapped into it with a detroit locker. That thing always had REALLY REALLY bad torque steer and would even jump gear teeth once in a while. It would make a very noticable clang when it loaded up and jumped a tooth. Eventually that diff self-distructed by breaking teeth off the ring gear. I never was able to find out wether the locker was defective or if the whole ford third member was set up wrong. Just a thought that it might be your locker malfunctioning. I'd definately start by inspecting the steering components first though.

SmokeyDod

I have a M1010 to do what you are saying. In my case it was the tires. Worn differently and also later found out one on back had broken wires in sidewalls. Changed tires & no problem. Of course this may not be your problem..

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
As for the collector value, I would say, yes it would affect the value. The 1031 is much more rare than a 1008 (pickup). Assuming the box is not rotted out you should be able to sell the 1031, buy a 1008, and still have change left over.

4bogginchevys

have you considered keeping the origanol equipement and modifying the truck to suit your needs, you can always spend a weekend putting it back to origanol form if you want to sell it..........:-D

acmunro

I notice with my trucks that have the Limited Slip Diff in the front (M1031 has this), if the front hubs are locked in it steers kind of funny. Might want to check the locking hubs (see if they are actually unlocking) Good luck with the truck.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks