• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

new headlights

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes they are dot approved.
A word of caution.

There is no such things as 'DOT approved', in the sense that they do not get approved by DOT. When a manufacturer stamps 'DOT APPROVED' on an item, they're self certifying that the item complies with DOT standards. In many cases, they do not. There is a lot of stuff coming from china stamped 'DOT APPROVED', that doesn't comply.

FMVSS is a set of FEDERAL standards, that not all states have adopted. You will not be pulled over by the FBI for having the wrong headlight. In states which have adopted and codified the ridiculously out of date FMVSS, you can get cited for equipment that does not meet FMVSS.

As far as headlights, I'm getting a pair of 55W HIDs in a blacked out projector housing... Less than $100.

DO get 4300k, DO NOT get anything above 5000k. It turns blue, and you have nothing but glare, and the inability to see in inclement weather.

PRO-7X6-BK.jpg

Csm Davis

A word of caution.

There is no such things as 'DOT approved', in the sense that they do not get approved by DOT. When a manufacturer stamps 'DOT APPROVED' on an item, they're self certifying that the item complies with DOT standards. In many cases, they do not. There is a lot of stuff coming from china stamped 'DOT APPROVED', that doesn't comply.

FMVSS is a set of FEDERAL standards, that not all states have adopted. You will not be pulled over by the FBI for having the wrong headlight. In states which have adopted and codified the ridiculously out of date FMVSS, you can get cited for equipment that does not meet FMVSS.

As far as headlights, I'm getting a pair of 55W HIDs in a blacked out projector housing... Less than $100.

DO get 4300k, DO NOT get anything above 5000k. It turns blue, and you have nothing but glare, and the inability to see in inclement weather.

View attachment 413737
Well these are made in the USA and I doubt that a company in the USA that has a military contract would break the law and open their self to lawsuits for a few hundred headlights. Also if you get a ticket for your headlights just take it by a shop that can check the aim of the lights and have them checked and get a written report and take it and one of the headlights and printout of the website saying they are legal in to court any judge will toss the ticket. That all said I doubt you will have any trouble with these headlights because of the hard cutoff of the LED type lights.

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well these are made in the USA and I doubt that a company in the USA that has a military contract would break the law and open their self to lawsuits for a few hundred headlights. Also if you get a ticket for your headlights just take it by a shop that can check the aim of the lights and have them checked and get a written report and take it and one of the headlights and printout of the website saying they are legal in to court any judge will toss the ticket. That all said I doubt you will have any trouble with these headlights because of the hard cutoff of the LED type lights.
My intent wasn't to say that those particular lights weren't DOT compliant, more as a caution against people buying stuff just because it SAYS it is DOT compliant, even if it might not be.

That being said, ANYTHING other than the factory lighting is considered NOT FMVSS compliant, so by changing to LED, or even a replaceable bulb instead of a sealed beam, is technically in violation of federal law.

FMVSS 108 S7.7 clearly states that a replacement bulb MUST be the same as the original. It also states that one cannot substantially change the design of the bulb. By changing the method in which the light is produced, the housing, the reflector, the connector, etc etc you're indeed making a substantial change to the original design.

And again, my statement is to illustrate that 'DOT compliant' is a SELF ISSUED 'certification' (if you can even call it that).

Now, that being said, it doesn't matter to me. I've run HIDs in my last 4 vehicles, and will continue to do so. I also realize that I can get a citation for it, if an officer wants to make an issue of it, as I'm in a state that has adopted and codified FMVSS.

Don't invite the man into your life. :D

Using 7" Round Truck-Lite headlights for CUCV

I was just cleaning out my deuce and came across a spare set of the 7" Truck Lite LED headlights. I have them on my deuce and my 5 Ton. I started thinking why not put them on my M1009, I'd have to look back at which years, but Chevy had the 7" round headlights in the past. If I swapped the grill and front support I could run these I'm thinking. It'll be a little while before I make it home to look into this. If I remember the CUCV headlights were 12vdc and these are 24vdc. I could make a little pigtail and take my source power from the 24vdc and still use the stock light switch with a relay. Anyways, something I'm tossing around, I can't leave anything stock :) I love those LED headlights, and I already have a set laying around

07370-hr.jpg

Last edited:

MarcusOReallyus

Since they're LEDs they might work just fine on the 12v. Many of them operate across a wide voltage range. I'd check on that before modifying the wiring.

I was just cleaning out my deuce and came across a spare set of the 7" Truck Lite LED headlights. I have them on my deuce and my 5 Ton. I started thinking why not put them on my M1009, I'd have to look back at which years, but Chevy had the 7" round headlights in the past. If I swapped the grill and front support I could run these I'm thinking. It'll be a little while before I make it home to look into this. If I remember the CUCV headlights were 12vdc and these are 24vdc. I could make a little pigtail and take my source power from the 24vdc and still use the stock light switch with a relay. Anyways, something I'm tossing around, I can't leave anything stock :) I love those LED headlights, and I already have a set laying around

That would be really awesome! I always liked the way the round-light C/K's looked. Although, I believe you would have to change the fenders and hood in addition to the grill. They altered them slightly to make them more aerodynamic. The years were 1973-80 (1980 had some models with the old styled front end but with square headlights).

Maybe it would be easier to make some sort of round headlight bezels to work in place of the stock ones. Just thinking out loud (with the help of beer).

Cucvnut

2013-03-13_19-00-51_687.jpg

I am running a set of the truck lite 24V lites also they work great

You might have a bad ground? Are the lights pointed up high enough? When I got my trucks home the lights seemed extremely dim, I adjusted them up...........whaaala! they have been bright ever since......simple!
What he said. ^ ^ ^ Granted, these headlamps won't set the roadside brush on fire, but when working properly they are far from unsafe at night. Mine are acceptable at night as is, and when I use my hi beams, oncoming traffic instantly flash me. I'm happy with stock performance but will use halogen replacements when needed.

res0wc18

So where did you get those blacked out 55w hid`s? I bet they are made in china?

Has anyone installed the 6054 leds and compared performance?

Cucvnut how did you mount those to the grill?

res0wc18

"I drilled holes in the grill"

I assume theyre stud mount lights then? What part number, i was under the impression they were the m35 replacement lights

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks