• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

new heater core or just a hose?

natemccabe

I noticed a small puddlle of coolent today. Looks like it's commiing from behind the heater inside the passenger compartment. I see no fluid coming from in the engine compartment, just in the cab. Haven't taken anything apart yet and I'm hoping it's just a loose connection to the heater core. Any ideas?

natemccabe

any chance I can just cap off the line to the heater for now? Don't really need the heater at the moment. I just don't want to have the whole thing blow up in my face and can't really afford the heater core at the moment.

OL AG '89

Disconnect the hose get the adapter and then fasten them to something so their not just flying around in the engine compartment....... Look at 9-2320-289-20P for illustration on heater core..... because these don't have a lot of "factory installed options" job is not as bad as a civvy model.... i.e no a.c ducting, no insulation.....
If you have the correct tools and a helper maybe a two hour job remove / replace

Midnight Rider

Can someone tell me what size the adapter is?

Apparently my heater core gave up the ghost. I've got antifreeze in the passenger floor board now. I don't have time or money to replace the core at the moment, so I thought I would just bypass it for now as stated above. But I can't find what size adapter I would need.

It'll be a cold ride to work, but at least this way I won't smoke myself out of my truck for the time being.

ralbelt

I just picked one up at NAPA, they call it a reducer for the heater hose , 3/4 to 5/8, as stated above cheap money. I also want to change out my core as I get a smell of antifreeze when the heater is on.

BIG_RED

When i thought my heater core went, I cut up an old bike frame (3/4" ish tube) with a hack saw and used 3" of it, rammed the heater hoses on both ends and used the hose clamps from the heater core to keep the hoses on. Then copper-wired it to the fender. It turns out the hose had a hole in it like an inch from the end, and new hoses saved me. That's when i found out I have a brand new aluminum heater core :p. Drove a few hundred miles without heat, but I was back on the road with a screwdriver, hacksaw and garbage pile bicycle :) good luck!

Midnight Rider

I just picked one up at NAPA, they call it a reducer for the heater hose , 3/4 to 5/8, as stated above cheap money. I also want to change out my core as I get a smell of antifreeze when the heater is on.

Thanks,

I ended up calling over to the local NAPA after I made that post.

That is what I ended up getting. It cost me about $7 and that was for the adapter and 2 new hose clamps. I wasn't sure if the existing clamps would be usable again.

rnd-motorsports

Just take the large hose off the heater core and the small hose off the crossover pipe above the pass alt and install the large hose that you took off the heater core and tighten clamp that simple no need to buy anything when you have time a heater core is about 30 dollars for a non ac truck :beer:

Midnight Rider

Just take the large hose off the heater core and the small hose off the crossover pipe above the pass alt and install the large hose that you took off the heater core and tighten clamp that simple no need to buy anything when you have time a heater core is about 30 dollars for a non ac truck :beer:
It's only that simple if you can get the hoses disconnected from the heater core. I fought with that for about an hour this morning before work. I finally gave up and just cut the hoses, then spliced them together.

I'll need new hose with the new heater core, but that is probably a good idea anyway.