• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

new here, I want a tank

pbnationrc

Hi, I am new here. I just have been looking around so this is my first post.

I have my first question, besides the money, how hard is it to acquire a tank?

I know you can go to auctions in England but can you go to Eastern European countries directly to save some cash?

Are there places in the States where I can buy from?

Basically I am looking for Soviet T models, later (newer) the better. And maybe a BMP-1. But I don't have enough money for two at this time, so my favorite is the T series.

Is there a special permit in the States where I can have the main gun still able to fire? Basically not demilled, like a Destructive Devices Permit for things like M203, RPGs, and special shotguns.

I am in Michigan. If I am forced to get demilled, that's not a problem. But if I can have a permit, that would be cool.

Anyone already have a T-72 or something close? What can you say about them? I am new to owning anything like this.

Thank you for your help,
pbnationrc

Last edited:

max1008

Since this is your first purchase your best bet would be to get ahold of an importer. They know the series of events that would be required to make the transaction quick and smooth. They usually have some really great hook-ups as well.

Flyingvan911

Several guys on here own them and have posted about the paperwork and expense. It is usually expensive and takes a lot of paperwork. It all depends on your money and patients.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you want the main gun operable, either move out of the USA, or be prepared to wait a couple of Administrations in Washington to actually sit in what you bought - it will take that long to get the proper clearances.

pbnationrc

Thanks for the replies.

Yah, I have been thinking about that after I posted and an importer seems like the best bet. I have the money, and defiantly the patience. My life is going on anyways, way not order a tank and wait for it!

Does anyone know about having a tank whos main gun can still fire? One that is not demilitarized and still legal? I would be willing to file for more permits, spend more money etc... Unless it is just way too much money.

Cleptomaniac

To the best of my knowledge you have to have it demilled before import. Then if you have a DD license prolly class 7. It can be reactivated. The cheaper way to have it shoot would be to retro fit it with a 50bmg in the main gun. Or a propane cannon. Something else to think about is a small wheeled like a Fox or Ferret.
These can be tagged and driven in most states.
Good luck

Augdog1964

Tank

Owning tanks and importing them is not for the faint of heart.

I've self imported several tanks, dug through old Russian military bases, attempted to negotiate with E. European's to get stuff out, you name it.

I can tell you the following:

1) You MUST have a big enough place to run them, and heavy equipment to work on them. If you don't have similarly committed friends or employees, look to lighter stuff.

2) You can forget getting an operational tank into the US. Not even museums can do it. It will not come in. I am a Class II Manufacturer as well, and you can basically not import DDs into the US. The breech ring must be cut, and a hole the size of the bore put into the high pressure area of the barrel.

3) For a first time effort, forget dealing direct with Eastern Europe. They do business differently than we do. It is based on long term connections and lots of cash. You will wait helplessly for years while the CZ or other government "approves" your paperwork. Its not getting easier, its getting harder due to EU and other "arms" control. Hurry up over there is 3 to 4 months... literally; something we would do in a week or less.

4) As you can see, T tanks are my love as well. They are relatively easy to work on, but documentation is horrible. Many different mods, and changes that are undocumented. Most of these tanks have sat out for years in extreme temps, they need lots of attention. E. Europe's judgment of condition is not even close to ours.

5) Finding reputable spare parts is a pain. Buy a second tank if you can... thats only partially a joke!

We have about all the tanks you can get out of Europe, save the T-64... which I'm still working on. If I was starting over, and could only have one, it would be the BMP-1 only. Fast, still operational all over so spares are easy, light weight, and easy to work on and pull armor etc. Honestly driving a tank sounds neat, and it is, but it is NOT like getting in your car and going for a drive... it is work. The BMP is as close to driving a car as any armor... even easier than my first "tank" a Scorpion.

PM me if you want more info. I can tell you that if everything above doesn't concern you, go for it. It is EXTREMELY cool.

smashcrashy

Armyjeeps.net (broker) has several tanks listed that are in the US, that'd save you a lot of hassle. I've imported British stuff and that wasn't too bad, Augdog sounds like the voice of experience on the Eastern European stuff.

Have you tried David Wang over at Army Trucks Inc, he looks like he has a T-55 available and in the US. If you switched to British or American armor it'll be easier to get right away. The British stuff is generally inexpensive, the American armor commands a premium.

Try a Ferret out, inexpensive, great fun to drive, can drive them on the roads and easy to work on. If you like them then graduate to the bigger stuff.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There's a Russian tank company called Tanks, Trucks and Armoured Military Sale. - Mortar Investments that specialize in the ComBloc stuff. A friend of mine poked around and they are the real deal. Check them out for what they have.

Be advised, everyone wants a tank. But owning one, even one that drives but the gun is demilled, requires a lot of money, space, patience, mechanical ability beyond what most people have, spare parts, heavy equipment and tools, a zoning commission/homeowners association that ignores you, and a very understanding wife. If you are missing any of the above in the list, you will not have a good ownership experience. Even the bigger trucks requires a bit of each of these, and guys I know who have owned BIG trucks say that they are much more fun to look at than own.

Think about this too: changing a wheel on a deuce is work. Changing a wheel/tire on a HEMTT is WORK. Now, multiply that by 10, so you understand how much WORK PAIN CURSING SWEAT TEARS and BLOOD it will be for you to repair a jumped track, replace a track shoe, repair a damaged transaxle, replace the main turret drive motor, lube the 4.2 million Zerk fittings on the vehicle, or even something simple like changing the oil in the engine.

I had some informal driver's training on the M48/M60 series tanks, benefits of being a friend of a 19Kilo, and believe you me, even sitting in the driver's seat, looking around you, you understand how much goes into the maintenance and operation of a 52-ton death machine, it overwhelms you. Just keep that all in perspective, just so you avoid the problem of having plenty of dollars for your new hobby, but not enough sense.

rickf

Don't forget moving said tank from A to B. Lot's of overweight and oversize permits and a truck big enough to do the job. You will be restricted from crossing a LOT of bridges so you could have to drive over a hundred miles just to go ten.

Rick

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Contract SS member "USSR", He is part of a broker outfit, has some nice stuff for sale EVEN a T55 ABLV, (Armored Bridge Laying Vehicle). If I could afford this, I would not give a Darn about transport permits.

Anybody can own a tank, but if everyones tank CANNOT get from point A to point B WITHOUT a bridge, then the ABLV becomes the MOST inportant ELEMENT in the whole unit.

ABLV = :grd:

Last edited:

rickf

Contract SS member "USSR", He is part of a broker outfit, has some nice stuff for sale EVEN a T55 ABLV, (Armored Bridge Laying Vehicle). If I could afford this, I would not give a Darn about transport permits.

Anybody can own a tank, but if everyones tank CANNOT get from point A to point B WITHOUT a bridge, then the ABLV becomes the MOST inportant ELEMENT in the whole unit.

ABVL = :grd:
Permits? We don't need no stinkin' permits! We got our own bridge!!!!!:D

woodwalker

ABVL = :grd:[/QUOTE]
heck yes it is and if you happen to run into a minefield works there as well

If you have the desire and money you can own one and get it around.
a live gun is only a $200-$400 tax stamp depending on how it's registered when you get it I don't believe the will import it with a live gun so it would have to be reactivated latter I know of several people with live artillery and tank guns so not a issue depending on state laws.( oh and money lots and lots of money)_

L1A1

Just an observation about this thread in general. There has been some real good advice given to the OP without being condisending or just plain sarcastic.
Matt

tigger

Medic.
In Memorial
Don't forget moving said tank from A to B. Lot's of overweight and oversize permits and a truck big enough to do the job. You will be restricted from crossing a LOT of bridges so you could have to drive over a hundred miles just to go ten.

Rick
Hogwash. we have members on here that can haul it with there 1/2 ton pickup and swear to you that they can leagaly do it because they run high octane gas and put more air in there tires!:grd:

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Contact Justin Wering and ask him about moving a M46 that was located near me out to Texas.

Big toys require deep pockets and the patience of Jobe.

I was in a tank battalion in Korea (did I mention I hate tanks?) and watching those guys replace the tracks on M1's broke me of any desire to own one except as a lawn ornament.

Good luck with that.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks