• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New here, just pick up a mep-016a

jcrockett222

Well this is my first, i call it treasure wife says junk!

I picked this up yesterday, been sitting out in the weather at an auction since rita. So i get it to the house and drain the gas and start working on getting fire, file the points and checking for fire at each pulg wire. I get to the last wire the wife is holding the wire to check for spark, and I pull the rope and it starts and scares the crap out of both of us. I had sprayed starter fluid in the intake a little earlier so it only ran for a couple of secs. (yes I got to sleep in the house)

Ok so ive drained the gas cleaned the glass bowl so i could see in it. but im not getting fuel to the bowl. So sould i pull all the lines fittings and pump to see what is going on. Like i said this is my first i know a bit about gas engines but i dont want to screw it up.

James

coyotegray

I would remove everything from the pump to the tank and clean it.

I have a mep-025a that sat for years and the fuel line to the bowl was full of stuff that looked like brown silicone sealant. You can reuse the flexible fuel line fittings and just replace the rubber fuel line.

I would just replace the pump. The parts for these are cheap

You can probably get anything you need from SaturnSurplus.com or ArmySurplusWarehouse.com. eBay is also a good source for odd items.

Here is a link to some of the TM's

Military Generators ==> MEP 016A

jbk

your probally going to need a carb. too. saturn has them but their not cheap $73.00 i just got one. be aware you cant run ethonal fuel in these, swells the float.

jcrockett222

So I cleaned all the lines all the way to the carb, I put the lines back on all the way to the pump. I then cheated a little and left the line open at in side of the pump and pressured the tank unlill the line filled. I tightened the line and then pulled the rope a few times and it started pumping.

I tightened all the lines gave it a shot of starter fluid, it started on the first pull. It ran for a few secs sputtered and just when I thought it would die it picked up the gas and ran like crazy. (should it run wide open.)

It ran for about two - three mins sputtered and died, pulled the rope and it started right up. It ran for about another min and sputtered and slowed down near to idle ran like that for about a min and died again.

I tried to start it again but it was like there was no spark. I work nights so I went in to get some sleep before work.

I got up a few hours latter pulled the rope and it started first pull it was real slow then it started running wide open. It ran for about a min and died again. I then notice that the choke was pushed toward the breather side, I put it in center position and it starts right back up.

I ran it for about three mins and then shut it off, was not sure how fast is should be running it was running wide open.

Also the first time I had it running nothing was showing on the gauges, the second time I got it running the first gauge showed ac volts about 150 and all the others showed nothing.

I guess my main question is should it run wide open, or should it idle until there is a load. I read a few of the other post talking about not to let it idle but it was for other models.

I'm going to read both manuals on the engine and generator tonight at work, I hated those dang manuals when I was one of Uncle Sams Misguided Children and they still dont look like a lot of fun.

Well I got to get ready for work.

Thanks James

jbk

How quickly did you notice it had damage the float..?
ran maybe 15 min. one day and the next day the damage was done.

dont idle that set you will damage the a/c regulator in short order. get yourself a meter to read frequincy 60 hertz 3600 rpm.

Last edited:

jcrockett222

Well while reading the manual, I discovered that the generator might work a little better if there were fuse's in it.

Both fuse's and caps are missing!

Any one know if there is a place near Austin/Houston that whould have them on hand or will I have to order them.

jcrockett222

Well I got it running and everything runs fine for about 5 min all gauges show good, and then it sputters idle's itself down and then dies. It will start right back up but will not stay running more than a couple of secs. I didn't rebuild the carb think that could be the problem.

james

Grega

I would take the carb. apart and clean it up. My 2 gens had brass floats so I was lucky. I think you can get the gaskets from Saturn Surplus. May want to get a new fuel pump with the primer lever. Makes starting easier. I found the corect fuel bowl screen and gasket at the local farm supply store. Alot of the older gas farm tractors used the same setup. If you havnt already, remove and clean the the gas tank. You may be sucking up some krud.

derf

Ethanol kills the carb float. Most gas has Ethanol mixed in.
There are ways to make the float resist Ethanol.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks