• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New here, M884 how does the 4x4 work

cr500f150

Ok you guys im new here and to dodge, but im looking at buying this m884 from a guy and was curious how the 4x4 works because every brand is different and what not, so are you suppose to shift to park or neutral to shift the 4x4 to something different like loc. Also to run up the rd does it hur to shift 4x4 in N and then colum into D?

Blythewoodjoe

I, like you didn't know any of this so I bought a factory dodge owners manual on ebay. I read it the other day and it is a very specific procedure and I will have to read it again to remember it. There where several for sale from different sellers on ebay the other day. If I get the chance I will read it and post it, but I'm real busy at the moment. Maybe one of the old timers here will chime in.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK, this truck is full time 4x4. Transfer case has 5 selections; Neutral, low, low lock, high and high lock. The transfer acts as a 3rd differential allowing the front and rear axles to travel at different speeds. It works like this in low and hogh positions. High and low lock locks out the differential action in the transfer case and forces both axles to travel at the same speed. Use these selections only on loose or slippery surfaces. Most transfer case shifts need to be done with tranny in neutral. Exceptions are from high to high lock and back and low to low lock and back. Welcome to the site and post pics of the 884.

Elwenil

Ditto and to add to that, when the transfer case is in one of the "Loc" positions, it acts like a normal part time 4WD with the hubs engaged. You should not run the truck in the "Loc" position on pavement as it will cause the drivetrain to bind. Download the TMs here on SS and make sure you grease the front wheel bearings often.

cr500f150

also what i was wondering how about traveling up the rd can i just stick the 4wd into N and drive up the rd, so that the front isnt being used?, I will get pics as soon as i can, also ive been reading how the millitary strips the trucks off its copenents and it looks like it has everything, extra battery tras, extra plugs, the steel crossings in the back for what ever shelter they stuck in the back, and etc...

Elwenil

No, neutral is just that, neutral. You will get no drive to either axle and you will be coasting down the road. The front axle is always engaged and there is no way to unlock the hubs. There are Milemarker kits on the market to convert the axle and transfer case to part time, but they are expensive.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The 884 is a shelter carrier and factory has a second 28V 100A electrical system besides the regular 12V system.

cr500f150

when i drove it i could of sworn i had transfer case in N while trans in D and it drove around fine, i couldnt tell weather front was engage or not

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks