• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New here m931a2, what mods for power?

Mercuno

I bought the 18 wheeler looking one with a 5th wheel. It is a 2001. I took off the 5th wheel and little ramp and put a flatbed on it so I can mount my welder and tools because we build steel buildings in remote locations. I would like it to go a little faster(just a little, more on the low end would be better) but I really wanna be able to climb hills.

Why couldnt you put a modded out 6bt cummins in there and maybe get better fuel economy?? more aftermarket parts

how to you do the governor spring ?

I cant tell but seems like when I hit the mud only one side or the other spins, am i crazy

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
There is a thread on here on turning up the 8.3...maybe one of the search gurus will post a link. If you are using it as a cargo truck you should not need to tweak it much. Doing the air cleaner mod and opening up the exhaust will help a lot. My big arsed M927A2 will run 70 on level ground flat towing a M923.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I bought the 18 wheeler looking one with a 5th wheel. It is a 2001. I took off the 5th wheel and little ramp and put a flatbed on it so I can mount my welder and tools because we build steel buildings in remote locations. I would like it to go a little faster(just a little, more on the low end would be better) but I really wanna be able to climb hills.

Why couldnt you put a modded out 6bt cummins in there and maybe get better fuel economy?? more aftermarket parts

I cant tell but seems like when I hit the mud only one side or the other spins, am i crazy
This is because the truck has 0PEN differentials

Mercuno

So, did I make a bad choice or is it as off road capable as any other 5 ton? Found some links for modding the pump and air filter. What else can I do. Gonna put a lot of faith in this thing to keep us working. Just bought 300 bucks of oils and filters to take care of it and looking into the ctis today

Ddmk18

On a truck tractor your going to need to put weight over the rear to go anywhere off-road. They are to light to get any kind of traction.

Mercuno

I added about 800 lbs in steel, 800 lbs in welder 300 in torches and 500 in tools. I know its not much but should help. I wanna go to a meet and be able to hang with everyone at least, don't have to be the baddest. Plus I can fix just about anything lol.
IMG_20150515_123814849_HDR.jpg
IMG_20150515_123837638_HDR.jpg

Last edited:

nevrenufhp

A modded 6BT isnt going to be a very good heavy truck engine. Mod the 6CT, and have a great truck engine. Let's say either engine makes 500hp. The 6BT will have about 1000 pounds of tork at around 1900rpm. The 6CT will have about 1400 pounds at 1600rpm. There's enuf aftermarket parts for a 6CT to make it destroy the whole drive train.
Gov spring install in the link below. It's for a P-pump, but it's done the same way.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-ujIgFSIiU