• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New here, thinking about buying an M1009

Does it sound like I would enjoy owning an M1009 based on my questions?

• Yes, you'll love it.

Votes: 9 75.0%
  • No, it'll be a nightmare for you to maintain.

Votes: 3 25.0%

• Total voters

RyanAnchors

Hey,
This is a nice website you guys have. I made a profile but had to edit it due to some of the rules related to content posted here that I noticed, so sorry if anyone caught the pictures before I fixed it.
I have been reading/lurking around here for about a week and I'm thinking about buying an M1009. I just have a few questions...

1. I do not have extensive automechanical experience, but I have read here and other places that these vehicles are actually a decent place to start learning as they're not "hard" to work on. Is this correct?

2. I am not sure how to buy one. There is a user here that I also saw on another forum named 100DollarMan.com that sells them in the $3,000 range not far from where I live. Should I try to buy one from GovLiq, 100DollarMan, a private sale here, or what? Any tips on what to look for? Any absolute no-gos I could quickly spot on one of these vehicles?

3. Are they reliable or will I constantly be dumping money and labor into them (other than routine maintenance)? I have a newer, reliable daily vehicle but I live about eight miles from work and would love to drive this there everyday.

4. Anyone else in here from Orange County, CA that can help me on where to buy and how to register/insure in California? Any idea how much registration and insurance costs on these types of vehicles here?

Thanks.
Ryan

RyanAnchors

Anyone?
Sorry for the super noob questions. I have searched and read some other threads, but just wanted some answers all in one place so I can go back and reference it quickly later.

Adrian A

I live in CA and registration is easy as long as you have the paperwork and bill of sale info. Just make sure that you have your vin # and all that stuff in advance. I registered my m35a2 and had to jump through some hoops because I did not have the vin info ju st right. A newer 1009 my be easy though. Try armytrucks.com they are in Santa clarita and the owner is Dave.

RyanAnchors

I live in CA and registration is easy as long as you have the paperwork and bill of sale info. Just make sure that you have your vin # and all that stuff in advance. I registered my m35a2 and had to jump through some hoops because I did not have the vin info ju st right. A newer 1009 my be easy though. Try armytrucks.com they are in Santa clarita and the owner is Dave.
Yeah I read that the SF97 from GL is not transferable, so I need to find one already titled if I'm not buying from GL.
Thanks for the link! I'll check it out.

Last edited:

dependable

Do you need a vehicle for daily use right now or is this a project for learning purposes? There have been a lot of threads about this sort of thing. Most 25 year old vehicles will have issues, and the CUCVs have a few extra due to electrical system. Try to use common sense.

RyanAnchors

Do you need a vehicle for daily use right now or is this a project for learning purposes? There have been a lot of threads about this sort of thing. Most 25 year old vehicles will have issues, and the CUCVs have a few extra due to electrical system. Try to use common sense.
As I said in the OP, I have a newer, reliable daily vehicle but I live about eight miles from work and would love to drive this there everyday. My car is a 2010.
So I guess I don't need it for daily use, but I want it for daily use and I'll still keep my car for backup or important trips that I can't risk breakdowns on.
I just want one that won't be on cinder blocks all the time. I understand the routine maintenance (glow plugs, etc) and I wouldn't mind learning a thing or two about cars on it, but I don't want to not be able to drive it and be dumping thousands into it.

I don't care much if it is pretty or not, just that it runs when I tell it to.

If I needed a primary vehicle, my common sense would preclude me from buying an M1009, but I don't need a primary vehicle.

Last edited:

cpf240

Yeah I read that the SF87 from GL is not transferable, so I need to find one already titled if I'm not buying from GL.
Thanks for the link! I'll check it out.
I'm not sure what you mean by that... I bought my M1009 from GL, picked it up in AZ, drove it to CA. Requested the SF97 from GL, took the truck and the paperwork to DMV, walked out with plates. No issues.

RyanAnchors

I'm not sure what you mean by that... I bought my M1009 from GL, picked it up in AZ, drove it to CA. Requested the SF97 from GL, took the truck and the paperwork to DMV, walked out with plates. No issues.
Yeah. I meant the SF97 is not transferable from the person who bought it from GL to others. Basically the person who buys it from GL has to title it. Some for sale on eBay say "includes SF97", but apparently they need to title it and then sell it to you. You can't just use their SF97.

Adrian A

I had no SF 97. Just two bill of sales. The two prior to me. Worked just fine. You may also need a vin verification. I did. I just don't. Remember exactly why.

Adrian A

Military trucks are designed for use and have manuals that are written to be used by 18 year olds with littleexperience and they are very detailed as to how to repair and troubleshoot. That being said, they are fairly easy to fix. This site has a huge wealth of info and people who are happy to help you answer questions as long as you do your homework and search around first. I have not had an issue that I have not been able to solve using the wealth of info from this site. Military vehicles usually have the rebuild tags and useful info about refurbishment written inside the hood and various other place. Just remember. If a vehicle has not been used much , many wear and weathered items will show up after you begin driving it. Try to repair it as close to the way it is designed so as not to make more problems down the road. This being said, I love my military truck.

ARYankee

From my own personal experience with MVs and the fact that I'm not very mechanically inclined, you souldn't be worried or intimidated. They are good to learn and tinker on. With the wealth of knowledge and help from here along with the TMs, you will do fine. The problem that you will run into is that once you start with one, you will crave more :)

RyanAnchors

Thanks for the insight guys. I'm a bit less intimidated now.

So I'm wondering if I should buy private party or from 100DollarMan.com
Would be nice to find one that someone has already replaces some hoses and what not on, even if it is a little extra.

cpf240

I'd suggest calling Hundy, as I'd heard he was moving away from trucks. I'm not sure if that includes the CUCVs, or just the larger trucks though. I know they show up on CL every now and then.

Durango_USMC

Do you have tools? That would be my first question. I'm still trying to figure out the electrical system, its a little different to say the least. Remember these trucks dont come standard with AC, radio/stereo, and engine noise is definitely louder than a civi vehicle. You may want to put more mileage and running time on the truck than 16 miles a day. Remember these trucks are still 25 years old or older and they weren't exactly babied by the first owner they will have issues... somewhere... but they all have a few little things here and there. Also with it being CA you may want to change out the locks and ignition, and keep the chain and padlock as another layer of security.

As far as deal breakers... well that depends on your resources and abilities. I like my M1008 despite its issues.

I forgot to add... I would go private party over GL. GL seems to be a crapshoot and the ones I've seen on there seem pretty rough compared to what the members here offer or some of the other dealers have available. Best of luck.

Last edited:

RyanAnchors

Do you have tools? That would be my first question. I'm still trying to figure out the electrical system, its a little different to say the least. Remember these trucks dont come standard with AC, radio/stereo, and engine noise is definitely louder than a civi vehicle. You may want to put more mileage and running time on the truck than 16 miles a day. Remember these trucks are still 25 years old or older and they weren't exactly babied by the first owner they will have issues... somewhere... but they all have a few little things here and there. Also with it being CA you may want to change out the locks and ignition, and keep the chain and padlock as another layer of security.

As far as deal breakers... well that depends on your resources and abilities. I like my M1008 despite its issues.

I forgot to add... I would go private party over GL. GL seems to be a crapshoot and the ones I've seen on there seem pretty rough compared to what the members here offer or some of the other dealers have available. Best of luck.
Sounds good to me.
I'm up for a challenge.
I don't care about AC/locks/body/etc.
As long as it isn't rusted out and not completely cratered with body damage, I don't care how it looks.
Tears in the seat, small dings, etc don't bother me.

I think they look more badass all used up haha.
Now I just need to find a decent running one for a decent price.
Probably not an easy task in CA...