• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

new here

86k10

Hello, yes I'm new here and to the world of owning one of these fine machines. In fact I just purchased 4 of them a few weeks ago. I only have 2 of them at the moment but I have something to ask about one of them. It is a m1028 and I see in all the spec sheets I read that they have 135 HP but mine says 155 on the air cleaner housing. Is that right or am I missing something. Also It has been quite cold here the last few days but It has managed to start in the afternoon until today. It was trying to then out of nowhere it started acting like it was not even trying to fire. Turns out there is no power to the glow plug wires. I've noticed the wait light has been on what seemed to me an awful long time each time it was started cold. Did something finally take the trip? Thanks for your replies.

mangus580

sig, see the FAQ's on the left.

First things first, check for power on the input side of the glow plug solenoid mounted on the firewall near the Master Cylinder. If you have voltage on the input side, but get nothing on the output side, replace the solenoid. If you dont have power going into the solenoid, check the input side of the resistor bank.

86k10

No pics yet, but i'll get some as soon as the other 2 get here. I'm trying to decide which one to keep for me and probably just sell the other 3. I guess one may end up as parts since if I remember it has an injection pump missing and a broken windshield. But i'll get it home and decide. At the moment I am leaning toward keeping the 1028 even though the body is not as good as the rest. I was hoping someone could answer my question above about it having 155 HP, It runs like it too. And is it true it will have a locker in front? Since I am an avid 700r4 builder, which ever one I keep is going to get one. This is a great place to be I can see that.

mangus580

CCATLETT1984 said:
The 1028 have POSI in the front and the gov-lok in the rear. it also has a np205 transfer case (gear to gear) instead of the np208 that other cucv's have (chain driven) I would keep that one.
The only CUCV with the gov-lok in the rear is the 1009. ALL others have the Detroit Locker.

86k10

I did a quick check of the relay today and noticed that the resistor block at the back has nothing hooked to it. I didn't have time to get to involved with checking what went where but there is a big red wire coming from the junction block on the right hand side that used to be somewhere but is just hanging there doing nothing.

86k10

I'll have to take a closer look tomorrow when I have some time. By the way the other 2 arrived tonight but it's just to cold to look them over like I would like to. I hate winter anymore.

86k10

Well I figured out what they did, they took the big wire off the resistor and just ran it up to the block right above the the controller solenoid. I did manage to get another of my fleet running tonight, but I am wondering why when the engine is off and the key is on, the gen lights are not on, anyone have an idea.

84cucv

Glad to have you 86k10! Wish my m1028 had a 205 that wouls be nice, sure having a hard time finding one too.

Armada

am wondering why when the engine is off and the key is on, the gen lights are not on
Are you getting a full charging reading on the voltmeter? Not just in the green, but on the white post in the green.
Check gage bulbs first and the bulb socket for corrosion. They can be accessed from under dash. By design, if a bulb is bad, the gen wil have no output.

86k10

84cucv said:
Glad to have you 86k10! Wish my m1028 had a 205 that wouls be nice, sure having a hard time finding one too.
Yeh I wish mine had one too, but it is cool having a locking front diff. I really tried it out today by unlocking the left hub and it still spun the right tire, I like that. Anyway to answer about the charging in the green, it is just in the green, about one needle width past the white line. And what is the deal with the lights and blinkers not working all the time, that's another one to figure out But it is sure fun to mess with these machines. I was hoping another one of my 4 were a 1028 but they weren't. I got to get some pics this weekend for you all to see.

Armada

Anyway to answer about the charging in the green, it is just in the green, about one needle width past the white line.
Well, you are not getting full output from the gens. Needle should be on the white post in the upper part of the green, unless the glow plugs are cycling. First, pull the gen gage (idiot light) light bulb and replace, for both lights. Put in new ones. I've had the bulb fail before and the filament was still good. Check bulb sockets for corrosion and clean contacts. Report back.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks