• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New HMMWV from Vermont

AgentVermont

Hey everyone!

I just wanted to post up and quick intro and say hi. I'm a new owner of my first military vehicle. I picked up a 1985 M998 HMMWV and I'm in love. It definitely needs some work, but it's in great running condition.

I'm also a ham radio operator. It's been awhile since I did anything with it, but I'll probably figure out a way to mount one in the M998.

Dominic

AgentVermont

Thanks for the welcome guys. I attached some pics... =)

I actually met a couple of the GMMVC guys at the Hardwick parade two years ago. My buddy owns a couple of military Land Rovers. I'm looking forward to getting out to an event as soon as I can. Maybe I can come out to Northfield and help next weekend at the least.

Attachments

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Glad you got rid of the yellow paint too. HMMWVs are great vehicles. Overall its my favorite vehicle in my stable.

AgentVermont

I have to say...it was a **** shame what they had done with it. I'm glad I was able to rescue it. I've still got a lot of things to do, but it's miles above what it was when I picked it up. The tail lights and buckets should be here any day now, as well as the marker lights. Undoing the hood "customization" will be more of a winter project, but well worth it.

The guy couldn't figure out why something was shorting out...maybe it was that he had a ground wire going to a piece of fiberglass?

AgentVermont

Um, I think this deserves some 'Before and after' shots.

Yellow? :cookoo:

Square headlights? :cookoo:

Ground to fiberglass? :jumpin:

The hits just keep on coming! rofl
You asked for it! I'll get some good before/afters up this weekend. You'll be amazed that someone did what they did to this poor thing.

Flyingvan911

Nice vehicle. I'm glad you are going to "remil" it. There should be lots of places to fit today's mobile ham rigs. I have an Icom 706 with an auto tuner.

73's, KC0ERE

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It would probably easier to just put a new take off hood on it. they are easy to find.

AgentVermont

It would probably easier to just put a new take off hood on it. they are easy to find.
I'd have to agree with you on that. Some of the modifications they made to the hood is going to make it rather difficult to add back key items like the black out lights and signal lamps. I hope I can find a hood relatively local.

I've attached what I started with (yellow) two weeks ago, and what I've done so far (not yellow).

I spent the whole day figuring out what the **** he did to the head lights. I still don't have it completely figured out, but I do have high beams now. I pulled out about 50 feet of wire from what I think was a strobe light system. :confused:

I've got the correct tail lamps ready to pop in, just waiting on the buckets to get here. After that I'm working side marker lights and lots of leaks from various sources. =)

Attachments