• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New HMMWV owner....sorta....questions?

ccf460

I just bought a trailer load of parts that are supposed to be a hmmwv minus the engine / trans/ transfer case. Looking at buying new ball joints, tie rod ends ,etc.. while assembling the suspension on the brand new frame rails. Can i go to like rockauto.com and buy parts from a civy H1? and if these parts are compatible, what year H1 do i go with? I have no idea on the year of the parts pile that I have?

KansasBobcat

I just bought a trailer load of parts that are supposed to be a hmmwv minus the engine / trans/ transfer case. Looking at buying new ball joints, tie rod ends ,etc.. while assembling the suspension on the brand new frame rails. Can i go to like rockauto.com and buy parts from a civy H1? and if these parts are compatible, what year H1 do i go with? I have no idea on the year of the parts pile that I have?
Looks like you have a project! Keep us posted. Kascar and MacMotors have been helpful. Your checkbook is about to take a hit! Good luck, Bob

ccf460

Yes, I am afraid I have bought into an expensive project. I have a 6BT that will go in it, just have to hunt down a trans/transfer case that will be suitable. I have a body that has been cut into 3 chunks (supposedly have all the repair panels), 2 brand new shiny frame rails, complete rear suspension chunk, front suspension chunk that is missing the drive flanges for the diff, calipers, rotors, etc., a wagon style hard top, dash, steering column, etc.

nattieleather

nopics Cause if you don't supply pics by internet law the project doesn't exists. :lol:

Please post some pics of your project so we can understand the depth of your situation.

KansasBobcat

Yes, I am afraid I have bought into an expensive project. I have a 6BT that will go in it, just have to hunt down a trans/transfer case that will be suitable. I have a body that has been cut into 3 chunks (supposedly have all the repair panels), 2 brand new shiny frame rails, complete rear suspension chunk, front suspension chunk that is missing the drive flanges for the diff, calipers, rotors, etc., a wagon style hard top, dash, steering column, etc.
Just a thought, if you have title you might want to consider buying one of the HMMWVs , nonrunning, that are becoming available as a source for parts. I think the cost would be less than buying one part at a time...I know. I am not offering any legal advice just a practical way to get the parts you need.

ccf460

No title, but NCDMV has assured me that building it from pieces they will issue a "custom built" title. Harder way to street legal one, but the only legal way. People may regret circumventing the intent and titling the "whole" hmmwvs that are being sold now. I didn't want to pay 20k plus for a truck that i was going to throw away the powertrain anyway. So far, hmmwv parts and 6bt, I have less than 7k in this one. If i have another 5~7k in finishing it, I will still have a better end product, i hope?!

KansasBobcat

No title, but NCDMV has assured me that building it from pieces they will issue a "custom built" title. Harder way to street legal one, but the only legal way. People may regret circumventing the intent and titling the "whole" hmmwvs that are being sold now. I didn't want to pay 20k plus for a truck that i was going to throw away the powertrain anyway. So far, hmmwv parts and 6bt, I have less than 7k in this one. If i have another 5~7k in finishing it, I will still have a better end product, i hope?!
As I posted on another thread, I started with a complete, running M998. I passed the 10,000 mark pretty fast doing almost all of the work myself with some help. For example, figure 800.00 to 1,000 for new wheel and radial tireson the surplus market. A decent airlift bumper with brackets 500.00 plus shipping. It goes on and on. I am not trying to discourage you but to share mistakes and experiences. Look forward to pictures. To end on a positive note, there should be more body parts, etc in the future

3dAngus

I have a couple of HMMWV transfer cases.
One is used in a case and dirty, unknown condition.
One is refurbished and repainted silver and in a case for shipping.
PM me if interested. Probably $400 for the good one, $150 for the unknown one. They are the original ones with ujoints, not the newer spline coupled ones.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks