• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New "in the can" motor

desertfox

RE: Re: New in the can motor

The time will soon arise when there will be no more deuces or older 5 tons and parts available from the government. Parts are already filtering in from China. I have 6 deuces and a multifuel 5 ton dump. 4 spare parts engines and I recently purchased a "in the can" rebuilt LDS-465 1A set up for a 5 ton. Complete with the power steering pump. I gave $1800 for this engine. The way I look at this is, considering my time to remove, rebuild, cost of parts, any machine work, shipping, etc, the cost of this engine was reasonable. With modified oil fitering systems and proper regular maintenance they will outlast me. 2cents

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Make sure it is actually new and not the motor that they took out. A friend recently bought a super clean NHC250 motor that was presented as rebuilt. He found out that the internals were trashed soon after its install so it was removed. Be careful unless you are positive it is a new motor. Are you sure the motor was not rebuilt in 1992? I thought the GOVT lost the rights to produce the MAN designed multifuel motor in the late 80s and that is what spelled the end for the M35A2. Perhaps, David Doyle can chime in as he knows much more than I do about this topic.
Well I thought '88 was the last year but there's a couple of people on another thread that says their manufacturer's data plate has dates in the early '90s. I've never known them to change a manufacturer's data plate (the plate with the engine manufacturer's name on it) after a rebuild. All I've seen had a seperate rebuild tag that had all the rebuild info on it.

jim-m35a2

No way in heck I'd pay more than a core price for something because it had shiny paint.

No guarantee = only buy it like you are buying a used engine.

Just because the paint is fresh doesn't mean it isn't being sold "as-is".

We might as well get used to the fact that as the military drops these vehicles, we will have to be more like the antique car hobby; rebuilding components as opposed to replacing them with "take out" units because all these "take out" units are gonna' dry up.

When the multi dies in my truck, I am gonna pull it out, rebuild it the right way, add a preluber and good filters and not worry about it. Because I know it's right and I don't have to worry about being 500 miles from home in a 15K lb. time bomb.
I believe Hercules still makes engine parts for the multifuel.

Jim
________
Extreme Vaporizer

Last edited:

JohnnyReb

Since I work my deuces, I use the old method my dad used when logging with used military equipment....buy 4 machines and keep 2 for spare parts. If a part breaks, take it off another running machine and then you have time to look for a replacement.

It is not as expensive as it sounds. Spare deuce will run you 2-4k. Not alot of money when you consider that you have a spare everything and the cost of being down is a running clock......