• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New injection pump and binding throttle mystery

Rrent

I bought a rebuilt injection pump from Hilbilly Wizard. I decided to have a local diesel performance shop install it. After installation they are trying to sort out a throttle that “binds at about 3/4 open”. They tell me it happens when it’s running, but not when not running. I know it’s a haircut over the phone - but any guesses on what might be the cause?

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
See, now they will have to pull it back off and hillbilly wizard will have to send it back to their rebuilder for warranty work.
Next time skip the middle man and have a highly reputable rebuilder reman your pump.

Rrent

See, now they will have to pull it back off and hillbilly wizard will have to send it back to their rebuilder for warranty work.
Next time skip the middle man and have a highly reputable rebuilder reman your pump.
Yep, maybe so… we will see.
The road to daily driver isn’t always that smooth or quick.

Rrent

Turns out:
I had an injection pump and lift pump installed. The throttle was sticking (at about 3/4 open) only when the engine was running. My mechanic found this 14066255 throttle solenoid was extending - but not retracting.
When unplugged the truck seems to run fine. What is it? What does it do? Where can I find one?

Attachments

dependable

That is fast idle solenoid, it is in circuit with IP timing advance and its purpose is to have faster, lower emissions warm up of cold engine. The part is getting hard to come by, especially at reasonable cost. If you can't find used or rig up a return spring, they cost about $150, last time I saw one.

It is nice to have fully operational, but is not really needed to use truck. One of mine has been non functional for years, truck runs fine, just slower, smokier warm up.

Edit; Also possible solenoid is fine, and the temp sensor on back of head that runs that circuit is faulty. If this is the case, it should be fixed, otherwise timing advance will be stuck on even if fast idle solinoid removed. If sensor is working, you should be able to hear timing back off a few minutes after cold start.

Last edited:

Barrman

It is easier for people to help you if you keep your problems to just one thread. I just answered your other thread to find the same question and pictures here.

Rrent

That is fast idle solenoid, it is in circuit with IP timing advance and its purpose is to have faster, lower emissions warm up of cold engine. The part is getting hard to come by, especially at reasonable cost. If you can't find used or rig up a return spring, they cost about $150, last time I saw one.

It is nice to have fully operational, but is not really needed to use truck. One of mine has been non functional for years, truck runs fine, just slower, smokier warm up.

Edit; Also possible solenoid is fine, and the temp sensor on back of head that runs that circuit is faulty. If this is the case, it should be fixed, otherwise timing advance will be stuck on even if fast idle solinoid removed. If sensor is working, you should be able to hear timing back off a few minutes after cold start.
Advance and fast idle both have power - even when the vehicle has warmed up. I unplugged both and started the search (on the truck) for the temp sensor that runs them. I was unsuccessful in my brief search (other things to do on the truck). Are there any tried and true easy to locate and/or change methods, for this sensor?

dependable

I just checked a CUCV, and the sensor is indeed on drivers side head, in the back, behind the #7 cyl of intake manifold. You can confirm this by checking continuity from fast idle circuit to sensor.

The sensor I remembered on passenger side is on some civy 6.2s, on CUCVs there is a plate blolted in that place.

Rrent

I just checked a CUCV, and the sensor is indeed on drivers side head, in the back, behind the #7 cyl of intake manifold. You can confirm this by checking continuity from fast idle circuit to sensor.

The sensor I remembered on passenger side is on some civy 6.2s, on CUCVs there is a plate blolted in that place.
I found -what I think/thought- was the glow plug sensor and the oil pressure idiot light [picture], on the back left (driver’s side). I was going to hook-up my oil pressure gauge here. Plan on searching for the sensor (again, idiot light - this one for water temp) on the front also left head.
F156E441-D44E-4A0A-BFE0-BDCD5BE22971.jpeg
I hate even that little bit of exposed wire. Maybe a new plug - how hard could that be to find..?

Rrent

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks