• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Intake

rustystud

073.jpg074.jpg076.jpg Here's some pictures of my new Donaldson "Topspin" pre-cleaner. It seems to be a pretty good unit. The side of the housing has a slot (seen in picture 2 ) at the top and when driving air is forced in causing an impeller to spin. This spinning forces the large particles of dirt and dust to fling outward and then drop out the bottom of the housing. I've noticed the impeller also spins just from the intake of air from the engine running. We will see if this keeps the main air filter cleaner like they claim it does. For those wondering about the tarp over the cab. I have a soft top so to protect it and keep it from leaking I tarp it over whenever I'm not running it.

HanksDeuce

If I could provide a minor correction to your post above. It looks as though the topspin takes air in from the bottom perimeter, and as the impeller blades in the top of the housing spin the dust/dirt particles are accelerated and shot out of the 2 slots in the sides of the housing. How much is this Intake?

Here is a YouTube video of the Topspin in action:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwfYnsRbveg

jbayer

If I could provide a minor correction to your post above. It looks as though the topspin takes air in from the bottom perimeter, and as the impeller blades in the top of the housing spin the dust/dirt particles are accelerated and shot out of the 2 slots in the sides of the housing. How much is this Intake?

So does that mean the slot should face back, and not forward?

rustystud

Here is a YouTube video of the Topspin in action:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwfYnsRbveg
Yes I think your right Hank. The directions that came with it where rather vague. I haven't seen this video either. I guess I have to rotate the housing to point the slot back towards the truck. The directions said you needed to keep the slot clear for air movement. I ASSumed it meant to allow air in not out.

montaillou

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just now came across this thread and being as it's been 2+ years, how do you think the performance of the pre-cleaner has been to the life expectancy of the air filter?

rustystud

Just now came across this thread and being as it's been 2+ years, how do you think the performance of the pre-cleaner has been to the life expectancy of the air filter?

It helped a whole lot. Since then I replaced the whole filter to an A3 style for more room in the engine compartment. That style has it's own "pre" filter on it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks