• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New interior parts for my M1009 CUCV Blazer

RoyalxApple

I'm getting a restored M1009 from my grandpa but I want to add some "new" items such as air conditioning and a radio system. Any suggestions and where to get it done?

Last edited:

machinist75

I think the companies name is vintage air. They make a complete bolt on kit for the cucv's. Its 24 volt and looks factory. I think it's around $1000.:grd:

RoyalxApple

Air conditioning is being put in and being a 16 year old I need my music! I've only got about $300 and parents are giving about 300 so how do prices for radios go? I know I'll need to get it cut to put the stuff in.

Wile E. Coyote

Air conditioning is being put in and being a 16 year old I need my music! I've only got about $300 and parents are giving about 300 so how do prices for radios go? I know I'll need to get it cut to put the stuff in.
The radio 'hole' is the old-school GM one with a blanking plate over it as set up for the 80s GM factory radios. Any of your local electronics stores or car audio stores can hook you up with a stereo that will fit, and usually the installed price isn't that much different from the walk-out-the-door price (maybe even your local WalMart) so you might want to go that route.

Most decent car audio shops will have access to the adapter brackets and stuff to make the newer radios fit the old GM hole, though seeing these vehicles are getting on a bit they may have to order them in as there aren't as many around as there used to be.

Car stereo costs are all over the map (search online for some examples) depending on what you're looking for. The big challenge in those things is where to put rear speakers. I got a couple of low key boxes with 6x9's mounted to the tops of my inner fender wells on mine. They don't stand out at all so the vehicle still looks stock - but I have tunes. Good compromise.

hunderliggur

I just put in a Jensen Marine radio. Flat panel control head on the military radio bar and the remote electronics in a center console (or under the seat or wherever). Mine has AM/FM/USB/Ext. You can also add iPod/iPhone if you want to control it from the radio head. JENSEN JMS2212 AM/FM/USB/iPod/SIRIUS w/Weatherband from Amazon $215 + speakers. I got two PYLE PLMR24 3.5-Inch 200 Watt 3-Way Weather Proof Mini Box Speaker System (White) for $20 from Amazon and bolted the brackets to the shell bolt on the side pillars. I may have to paint them tan though!

Wile E. Coyote

That's brilliant...I never thought of going with Marine stuff. I'll look at that option when I replace this deck because -and word of warning to the original poster - if you do any sort of rough road driving with the M1009 - especially dusty summer logging roads - you will just DESTROY the average in-dash cd player/stereo after a year or so. When I crawl out of mine after a few hours of that kind of driving I'm so dusty I look like I changed race...and just about every screw in the dashboard has worked loose. I bought a good deck the first go-round but now the CD player is pooched -- first because of major dust -- secondly because of continuous, brutal vibration. It's probably...9 yrs old now...so the new ones might be hardier. Dunno.

Wile E. Coyote

Also, to the original poster on the air conditioning subject...the $1000 is probably the only way to go as even if you found one in the junkyard you could strip all the air-conditioning stuff off of, it would use a refrigerant called 'R12' which is now illegal, and converting them to run...R134, I think...would put you back up to the $1000.

I've also had lots of bad clutches on the compressors that they use for the air conditioning system in the M1010 CUCV Ambulance, one of which started a pretty decent fire. But, since it's always cold and wet in the PNW except for like...four days a year...we don't have much need for air conditioning.

(unless you're jammed behind the inevitable multi-car accident on I-5 near Seattle in the middle of August...then you start to think a bit differently.)

Gunfighter1

Anybody have a part number for the ac kit that will work on the CUCV? I couldnt find it on thre sight.

Red_506

I just put in a Jensen Marine radio. Flat panel control head on the military radio bar and the remote electronics in a center console (or under the seat or wherever). Mine has AM/FM/USB/Ext. You can also add iPod/iPhone if you want to control it from the radio head. JENSEN JMS2212 AM/FM/USB/iPod/SIRIUS w/Weatherband from Amazon $215 + speakers. I got two PYLE PLMR24 3.5-Inch 200 Watt 3-Way Weather Proof Mini Box Speaker System (White) for $20 from Amazon and bolted the brackets to the shell bolt on the side pillars. I may have to paint them tan though!
Can you post pics?

gafuller01

Anybody have a part number for the ac kit that will work on the CUCV? I couldnt find it on thre sight.

I tried to order the a/c kit from Nostalgic air about a month ago, and they said that they no longer sell the kit. Apparently they cannot get some of the parts from their suppliers anymore.

The only option I could find was the under dash universal a/c kit, but installing that kit would require removing one of the alternators and converting to a 12V system. I haven't done anything more about putting a/c in mine, but if anyone knows where to get a kit (other than Nostalgic Air) or even just the piggyback brackets and pulleys that allow the compressor to be mounted with both alternators I would like to know.