• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Kansas HMMWV owner

Kaz

Looks like other people are doing introductions, figured I'd do the same. Name's Justin but I prefer Kaz. Got the new M998 HMMWV in last night and I'm getting a grip on the little repairs it needs. Nothing too bad so far, though if that PCB is bad it'll be a bit pricey, just a couple other minor things. Will be doing some searching around here and just joining seemed like the thing to do.

85 USMC M998

Welcome from Detroit. If you have the old style PCB replace it ASAP. Also add the ground kit or equivalent that Kascar sells. There is a lot of good folks and info on this site.

Flyingvan911

Welcome from Kansas City, MO. Be sure to look up the threads on the KAMO rally help each fall at the D-Day Adventure Park in Wyandotte, OK. It's a bunch of fun. We haven't had a HMMWV down yet. I'd like to see one in person in it's natural habitat. It will be happy on "Route 25," the roughest trail in the park (as has as large MV's go).

Kaz

Thanks for the welcomes.

If you have the old style PCB replace it ASAP. Also add the ground kit or equivalent that Kascar sells.
I've got the PCB on the way, I went ahead and ordered the plugs as well, from a guy I was on the phone with for a little tech support on the keyed ignition he makes. The wire tags were a little different than his instructions and one was labeled entirely wrong. Works now though.

Do you have any pictures to post of your newly acquired MV?
I'll log into the site from my phone and try. Haven't found a way to get pics from the camera on the PC.

Be sure to look up the threads on the KAMO rally help each fall at the D-Day Adventure Park in Wyandotte, OK. It's a bunch of fun. We haven't had a HMMWV down yet.
Cool, I'll have to look into that. Would be glad to bring it down if I can make it.

I will be at Ft. Riley on Mon. Keep that snow stuff away as this southern boy is allergic. :)
Well the last time I was asked to influence the weather I did a rain dance, but since I was at work and you have to do those in the buff it caused some problems. I had to go to a seminar and missed a couple days work... and it didn't even rain...

TehTDK

I've got the PCB on the way, I went ahead and ordered the plugs as well, from a guy I was on the phone with for a little tech support on the keyed ignition he makes.
Got a link or something on that guy?

jeffy777

I got mine in September. HumVee.jpg I added the keylock. I just order mine from Amazon at $70. It works well. I am planning painting mine a dessert camo with black accents(black under-carriage). I joined the board right about that time. I think I am going to buy the aluminum metal roof, back and locking doors from Plan B. I am still awaiting some paperwork from GovPlanet. I have had mine inspected by some mechanics (I looked it over but what do I know). I tested capabilities and went through creeks 30" deep and climbed hills 50 degree angle and it did great. Other than my paperwork and stuff I seem to have an issue where the alternator loosens and the v-belts get some slack. So I am going to buy some new v-belts and try to be more of a man tightening the brackets hopefully that issue will be resolved.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I got mine in September. View attachment 657122 I added the keylock. I just order mine from Amazon at $70. It works well. I am planning painting mine a dessert camo with black accents(black under-carriage). I joined the board right about that time. I think I am going to buy the aluminum metal roof, back and locking doors from Plan B. I am still awaiting some paperwork from GovPlanet. I have had mine inspected by some mechanics (I looked it over but what do I know). I tested capabilities and went through creeks 30" deep and climbed hills 50 degree angle and it did great. Other than my paperwork and stuff I seem to have an issue where the alternator loosens and the v-belts get some slack. So I am going to buy some new v-belts and try to be more of a man tightening the brackets hopefully that issue will be resolved.
Not sure which alternator you have but there was a known issue with the stock 60amp bracket set up. I believe the rear support was weak and would crack. There is an updated support on flea bay.

Kaz

Nice looking. Are the door windows as clear as they look in the photo?
Thanks. They're not bad. Though I'm guessing they were better new. The stitching is starting to go bad in the doors, if that gives you any indication about their age.

Got a link or something on that guy?
The Military Guys. I've seen 'em referenced here, too. I don't know how many they had or anything though, he did mention they go through them pretty quick.

I got mine in September. ... I am planning painting mine a dessert camo with black accents(black under-carriage). ... I am still awaiting some paperwork from GovPlanet. I have had mine inspected by some mechanics (I looked it over but what do I know).
Looks good. I didn't want anything needing something as major as paint though. I had a project vehicle (an International Scout) I was going to do with a "friend" a while back that went south, so I targeted one that didn't show anything hinting at major work. I work in a mechanic shop and though I'm not one myself I've learned enough over the years to make a guesstimation of what I was up against. Do post it on the board when you finish your paint though. My paperwork was submitted Sept 19 and came back clear about two weeks ago; I can't remember the exact day they finished it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks