• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Lower Radiator Hose- Which End Is on Engine?

rneely

Replacing the water pump and putting on new hoses. The lower radiator hose that I took off was straight and the new one has a slight off set and a short and long leg. Which end goes on the engine? In the picture, the upper one or the lower one?
Thanks, the tm just shows a generic sketch.

IMG_3019.jpg

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't recall any of mine looking like that but whatever end you put on the engine you have to cut one inch of it off. Otherwise it kinks and cuts down the flow.

welldigger

I believe the longer strait end goes to the water pump. Mine looked just like that and fit just fine. I believe it's the Napa hose that is an inch too long.

rustystud

I believe Welldigger is right about the NAPA hose.
Your right "Flyingvan" ,the hose from "Eriks" fits fine and it has that dogleg on the end. The NAPA hose is the one that is cut. I bought both to compare, just to see if the NAPA would be a good replacement since it's much cheaper and more readily available.

jatonka

New Lower Radiator Hose

Answering OP's original query: the end with the kink or offset goes to the water pump outlet, the straight end goes to to the radiator. Cut nothing. Napa hose is never right, the kink is there to miss alternator belts. All this is from sad experience. Jt out

TsgtB

Well, the new one is NOT like the one I took off.... mine had the spring in it, so,
we'll see how this goes.
After buying this hose and all my coolant and oil and filters and additives and new hand throttle cable...
I should only need the new starter terminals pressed on and be good to start her up TODAY.
Better get my batteries charged.

Jeepsinker

You can put the old spring in the new hose if it isn't too badly corroded. That's what I did.
If you try to put the hose on you'll see it only fits one way without being painfully obviously wrong.

TsgtB

It was just painfully painful.....
I didn't put the spring back in, wasn't much room to get a handle on the silly thing, but its IN.
I was SO close to taking it back out and cutting that inch off, but I didn't...
Rad support in, ground on, mounts on... didn't put the grill on yet.
I have my HD coolant and Kool additive, but didn't have any distilled water, so i'm getting that tonight.

TsgtB

The alternator was left in place, but I did have it pushed loosened and UP as far as it would go.

I am glad to be learning so much, that I will do "next time".... or pass along to someone else.