• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New M-1083 owner. So, here we go!!

RRaulston

Not a good day yesterday. I was running into town to get another pallet of brick when I started smelling diesel fuel. I pulled into a gas station and saw fuel dripping all over and the side of the engine wet. I lifted the cab and discovered my fuel filter spraying fuel. It split! Like just split! It was a Donaldson. They manufacture for CAT! Needless to say, there were none in town. CAT dealer said no longer made (CAT Brand) and Donaldson dealer is out of business. No NAPA, no nothing! So I tied a rag on it to keep it from spraying and it just dripped to the ground. Got the fire extinguisher on deck and drove 15 miles home. Oreilly overnighted a WIX and we are good to go. I carry a tow bar, spare everything, extra CTIS controller...and, now, a fuel filter. WTF over....?20230527_111202.jpg

Ronmar

So all the other damage was done taking it off? On the forward side of the filter where the hard line from the lift pump enters the filter, there is a T fitting. Hook up a 100PSI gauge there and check the base fuel pressure there. You may have a regulator issue or clogged return path to the tank. Should have 10 PSI when cranking, 20 PSI at idle ramping up to 60PSI by peak torque RPM(1400-1500RPM). Not sure how much pressure the lift pump is capable of generating, but too much is probably not too good for a sheetmetal skinned fuel filter…

I show how to hook up one in this video…

RRaulston

So all the other damage was done taking it off? On the forward side of the filter where the hard line from the lift pump enters the filter, there is a T fitting. Hook up a 100PSI gauge there and check the base fuel pressure there. You may have a regulator issue or clogged return path to the tank. Should have 10 PSI when cranking, 20 PSI at idle ramping up to 60PSI by peak torque RPM(1400-1500RPM). Not sure how much pressure the lift pump is capable of generating, but too much is probably not too good for a sheetmetal skinned fuel filter…

I show how to hook up one in this video…
ok will check it. The damage is from a chain wrench... That filter was pristine with only the crack in it yesterday. Only hand tight when installing the new one.... Thanks Ronmar!!

RRaulston

So, I was washing off all the diesel on the side of the engine and found this plate on the air compressor leaking quite a bit of air. I am also getting some engine oil around the vent of my brand-new air dryer. So, I guess it's rebuild time. Actually, I think I am just going to buy a reman unit and do a quick swap.... NAPA has the one pictured.....
20230527_112926_Moment.jpg
Screenshot 2023-05-28 184810.jpg

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's a good idea to replace or rebuild the compressor for sure. I can tell you that NAPA will not be able to get that compressor very quickly. It's an oddball and they will contact the supplier and they will find that it's "build to order" and you might be waiting a bit for one.

You could pull your compressor or find a used one from one of the surplus vendors and send it to Brake Systems Inc. My compressor went out due to lack of maintenance of the air system (dryer cartridge from '08 and they went above and beyond to get me fixed up - had to find a core compressor because my crankshaft snapped off and they found me one out of Texas:

RRaulston

It's a good idea to replace or rebuild the compressor for sure. I can tell you that NAPA will not be able to get that compressor very quickly. It's an oddball and they will contact the supplier and they will find that it's "build to order" and you might be waiting a bit for one.

You could pull your compressor or find a used one from one of the surplus vendors and send it to Brake Systems Inc. My compressor went out due to lack of maintenance of the air system (dryer cartridge from '08 and they went above and beyond to get me fixed up - had to find a core compressor because my crankshaft snapped off and they found me one out of Texas:

good to know. I am going to call them and maybe ill just send mine in for a rebuild. While I know I can do it, I have 62 thousand other things i'm doing and my time is running short...

Mavcaster

The newer A1R trucks use the Haldex N50011H

The benefit is easier/faster servicing. The drawback is the cartridge price - it's about $100 a year.

Literally though - it takes like 15 minutes to service. Really convenient.
Is this model pretty much a direct replacement for the OEM dryer? I’m relocating mine so mounting changes I’m not much concerned with but just making sure I don’t need anything else special for the air lines and voltage matches up.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Is this model pretty much a direct replacement for the OEM dryer? I’m relocating mine so mounting changes I’m not much concerned with but just making sure I don’t need anything else special for the air lines and voltage matches up.
Factory OEM doesn't have power for a heater in cold environments. Plumbing would be the same. Just remember "height" should be considered when you install.

Mavcaster

Factory OEM doesn't have power for a heater in cold environments. Plumbing would be the same. Just remember "height" should be considered when you install.
EDIT: Well guess I’m a little confused about the OE unit not having power for a heater. I’ve been reading around and seems either these upgraded units are either plug and play or they need the plug swapped out from the old dryer. I know my A1 has an electrical connection going into the dryer. If not for a heater then what would that be for?

Last edited:

TomTime

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I rebuilt the one on M1083A1 and it had a heater in it…well at least that what it looked like to me.

Look at #5, from Ronmar.

Tom.

Mavcaster

I rebuilt the one on M1083A1 and it had a heater in it…well at least that what it looked like to me.

Look at #5, from Ronmar.

Tom.
Perfect thank you, Ronmar saving me some money I think.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
EDIT: Well guess I’m a little confused about the OE unit not having power for a heater. I’ve been reading around and seems either these upgraded units are either plug and play or they need the plug swapped out from the old dryer. I know my A1 has an electrical connection going into the dryer. If not for a heater then what would that be for?
Well, either you got more than I did - or - I was slighted on my air dryer. When I removed mine for service there were no wires to connect and nothing I could connect to if I had wanted to.

These trucks were built under constant change orders.

RRaulston

The one I used, pictured above, fit perfect and came with everything. EXCEPT it is 12v. I didn't have time to order and wait for a 24v unit. Yes, the original one has an electrical wire to. I always assumed it was for a heater but could be wrong. I could have even used the original mounting clamps but decided to use the included mount. It was only a few hundred bucks...

coachgeo

WOW.... a 2023 up for auction in AZ.....hmmm.....

View attachment 899648
old topic..... there is a thread on this. thought it sold to a member here? maybe he rejected it based on the miss information??

RRaulston

Well, it's been a while. My dreams of making a crazy camper out of my truck changed. Living in the desert, we haul water. Our water company that delivers went out of business and guess what I did. The tank is 1350 gallons with a 225 GPM pump. Fills my holding tank in no time. The standpipe where I fill up at can fill the truck tank in about 3 minutes. The truck drove flawless and had zero issues with the load. 8.35 x 1350 = 11,272 lbs. It's only an 8 mile round trip on a gravel road and ill make it twice a month. I keep the truck in tip top shape and hope it's up to the challenge!
IMG_2163.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks