• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New M-923 owner

Ravenv1

I just acquired a 1984 M-923, plan on using for family expeditions. First thing I noticed is cramped quarters with battery box in cab. Was wondering about passenger seat, there seems to be no degree of recline with this seat. the seat back sits at about a 90deg angle to the seat bottom. Is this normal?

Raven

Last edited:

flashgordon

I just put 2 batteries in the side step box. The stock cables are long enough too. That helps.
I also bought 2 air ride seats one for driver and one for momma. They came from a you pull it for big trucks. They are recline able and more comfortable.

MO MV man

This project is definitely on my list of to-do's. Two comfy buckets would be awesome. MRAP or the like?

The box on the side of my M931A2 IS the box in the relocation kit, if I'm not mistaken?

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Raven,
Add a spin on oil fiter adapter kit to your list. Makes filter changes a breeze, I have them posted in the classified.
JC

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Raven the battery relocation kits are nice but they are getting more expensive all the time especially a NOS one, but it includes everything needed! I agree Scar59 100% on the spin on oil filter replacement, and if you decide against it just wait till you change the oil ONCE, it will be on your list. Good Trucks, nice to drive so Enjoy, you will have fun!
KK

Ravenv1

Well finally got to take the 923 out for a burn. Great truck!
So where do I start? First off I'm a forum newbie and a 20yr owner op who's sick of plastic cars. I'm no mechanic but can turn a wrench and know my way a little bit around big trucks.

I would like to know if I start a new thread for any issues I might have......or shut up and refer to the TM's, they seem to be the bible around here and are strongly referred to in many threads!
4 star generals and colonels, are those true military rankings or some kind of forum status to be worked up to. Begging the question, where's all the grunts?

Now for the truck, I have currently acquired a 1984 M-923, with the ABS upgrade and the vehicle seems to be reasonably sound.
Anticipated use: family excursions, tearing up some out of the way roads and sometimes just getting lost!

Would like to know if the 923 is in the 939 class or 809, seems confusing! can somebody explain the tags riveted to the inside of my door frame, triangle in shape with the letters MWO or WMO on them, last one dated 2011.

Got some fixes to do:

Pressure wash and detail.

install rear lic plate holder with light.

little paint hear and there.

Secure batts.

fix grease boot on front axle, leaking!

Int. light and CB

A little lubrication, naturally

And a decent backup lamp.

Lot's to do, to start.

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Raven,
Your truck is of the M939 family of cargo trucks. I strongly suggest you obtain the correct operators manual and other maintenance (tech) manuals and read, read, and read. All the info you need is contained in those manuals, all the answers are there. Also will make you a better mechanic, owner, and driver.
JC

Ravenv1

Are the Spin oil filter kits for the 923 with the 8.8l cummins could only find the one for the whistler multifuel.
Got a few miles on it and no problems seem to be surfacing. fingers crossed!
Heading into the mountains on the weekend, cant wait!

Last edited:

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The spin on oil filter adapter is for the NHC 250 Cummins (885 cu in). Real nice kit that accept the commercial spin on filters (Fleetguard, Baldwin). The kit comes w/ a Fleetguard FL 670.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks