• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New M1008 acouple of questions.

drewmech

So picking up my new to me m1008 today and noticed a few things on the truck. Wonder if anyone here knows the answer.

On the passenger side firewall right next to the terminal block there are 3 bolt holes looks like a bracket or something went there. Any ideas?

Passenger side hood bump stop has what looks like a hood pin. Was this just to lock the hood down? Or was some other accessory there?

Driveshafts in the bed and both sides of the truck show forklift damage. Is there anything I should look for under the truck? Never felt with a truck that had been forklifted before.

Thanks fellas
Drew

MarcusOReallyus

PO probably installed a different fuel filter and removed the stock filter. Trace the fuel line and see where it goes. If you don't find a filter, time to get one!

Hood pin was probably an unauthorized modification to prevent unauthorized parts scavenging.

Militia1776

Cpf240 you nailed it and yes it is very important and If you don't have one I would suggest getting a rancor spin on fuel filter .. When mine goes in getting one .. 400 series (from what I hear) is the one you want

Last edited:

1StumpJumper

I am up in Bellingham and have done quite a bit to my M1008 since I got it from GL.

I have the take off filter/base from when I did a spin on conversion you can PM me for details and to talk truck.

Jerrod

MarcusOReallyus

Passenger side hood bump stop has what looks like a hood pin. Was this just to lock the hood down? Or was some other accessory there?

Here's what a new hood pin looks like.

hood pin 2.jpg

They are installed on some racers to keep the hood from flying up at high speed, and some folks put padlocks through them to keep the inside stuff inside, and outside hands outside.

Yours is missing the reinforcement plate. Probably the easiest fix is to buy a new one. Otherwise, flatten, weld (or braze) the holes, and repaint.

1StumpJumper

The benefits of a spin on are the ease of bleeding after filter change or any time there is a disruption to fuel supply, and having filters that are more readily available.

The following has been covered many times before, but if I were to do it again First and foremost after the filter is to check all fluids before attempted fire up.

Then, clean all electrical terminals. This does several things, it obviously cleans year of crud an corrosion allowing current to flow better, identifies problem areas, and it familiarizes you with the electrical system. Print out applicable wiring diabrams and get after it.

Next, I would do the "Doghead" relay modification. This upgrades a small starter relay under the dash that is prone to stick on and cause starter run on and burn up the expensive 24v starter and or wiring. The upgrade is simply a more reliable relay. Straight forward and around $20.

Next, I would do is evaluate the condition of the charging system.

Once the charging system is in good order you can and should test your glow plug system. It is pretty easy to swap & upgrade the glow plugs so long as none are stuck/swollen. I also recommend adding a switch to bypass(override) the glow plug controller card for redundancy.

There will be many little issues that creep up, some cost, some don't. You need to be realistic about what these trucks are, a near 30 year old, slow moving, military vehicle with lots of gremlins, that has more than likely endured a cycle of sitting for long periods of time, getting used and abused then sitting, and so on.

drewmech

So digging threw the truck I found some cool stuff. Several inventory sheets for some M1A1 tanks and the Oregon National Guard was nice enough to leave me a handy manual. Other then that they seem to have looted this thing for parts. So far so fun.

Attachments

firefox

General
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wouldn't be too concerned about the hood flying up at high speeds.....

Sorry, I couldn't resist. I also own an M1008.

Skinny

Maybe if you park your M1008 behind the business side of a turbine aircraft...the hood may fly open then :)

Congrats on your purchase! Time to get comfy with the service manuals, a grease gun, and a voltmeter.