• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

"New" M1008 won't start

kenz5380

So it has been a long while since I reported on this truck, but we finally got her fired up today. We tore the engine down leaving it in the truck for logistical reasons. A lot of people said we were crazy not to pull the motor out but we really didn't have room to do so in the 1 car garage and it ended up being not such a bad project to re-ring the 6.2 in the truck.
After the compression test showed such little pressure I spoke with a friend of mine who I have great respect for when it comes to his 6.2 knowledge. Because of the ether injection system that was in the truck he surmised that the engine had a condition of being "addicted to Ether" He described this as when prolonged ether use consistently dries the cylinder walls at every start and causes extensive ring wear. Then, the use of ether is required to create enough pressure to create combustion until eventually the rings just can not create any pressure at all.
This was pretty much exactly the case. The rings were worn down to barely anything and most of them simply fell off the pistons when we pulled them out. The cylinders had some minor pitting from moisture and dry cylinder walls, but no scoring. They cleaned up relatively well with a hone on a handheld drill. We didn't replace anything that wasn't broken as this was a VERY budget minded build and she fired on the first try this morning!!

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks