• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New M1008!

Tailwheel

I've been searching for one of these for quite some time. Finally picked one up passing through Cincinnati. I purchased it with 54,000 miles and I've already put over 2,000 miles on her. Had some minor issues, but seems to be running great. She's left me stranded once when the front left spring bushing fell out at highway speed on Christmas day, fun stuff. The previously installed ORD bushing failed due to lack of lubrication, I re-installed new ORD bushings and it appears they changed the bushings shoulder design to allow for better lubrication, which is nice to see. I've also got a decent oil leak that needs to be fixed, but otherwise seems to be a decent truck.

The camper shell is going bye bye. If anyone is interested, its for sale on the Charlotte Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace for $450. I've also got some body work and paint to attend to in the spring, but right now I'm just enjoying the truck. I'm going to be giving Battlefield OD Green a go. I'm amazed at how fast it cranks up, just the slightest bump of the key and she starts right up, unless its really cold. I plan on eventually building some form of expedition rig, but I haven't decided what direction to go with it just yet. I'm sure I'll figure it out in the next year or two. Oh yea, its got a 4L80E and runs like a champ between 65-75mph all day long. It really struggles up hills though, but its a 6.2L, I expected as much.

IMG_1901.jpgIMG_1903.jpgIMG_1904.jpgIMG_1906.jpgIMG_1908.jpgIMG_1910.jpgIMG_1912.jpgTruck 1.jpgTruck 2.jpgTruck 3.jpgTruck 4.jpg

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You did good with that one! What controller for the 4L80E is she equipped with? Agree the topper needs to go.

Tailwheel

I don't remember the model, I can tell you when I get home from work sometime next week. It's mounted on the floor, has some adjustments and an immobilizer switch on the dash. It shifts pretty firm, but if you feather the throttle right at the shift point it does a pretty good job.

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
IDK, I don't mind the "topper". Security, weather tight, and I've seen MUCH uglier! LOL I also own a M1009, so "topper" might be in my green blood. NICE truck and congrats on the 4L80E !!

Tailwheel

Anyone have experience with any of the Painless wiring harnesses? I see they have several different options, even harness’ with all of the GM connectors available for our trucks. I’m not sure how similar they are to the CUCV harness, but it looks like I may need a replacement at some point. Someone has hacked up the wiring on this truck, badly, in multiple places. I’m assuming a chassis harness would be compatible

dependable

If you are running stock 24V, you will be better off finding a good used CUCV harness if it needs to be replaced. There are too many differences from stock 12V system to make an aftermarket 12V harness an easy installation.

Ajax MD

I've been searching for one of these for quite some time. Finally picked one up passing through Cincinnati. I purchased it with 54,000 miles and I've already put over 2,000 miles on her. Had some minor issues, but seems to be running great. She's left me stranded once when the front left spring bushing fell out at highway speed on Christmas day, fun stuff. The previously installed ORD bushing failed due to lack of lubrication, I re-installed new ORD bushings and it appears they changed the bushings shoulder design to allow for better lubrication, which is nice to see. I've also got a decent oil leak that needs to be fixed, but otherwise seems to be a decent truck.

The camper shell is going bye bye. If anyone is interested, its for sale on the Charlotte Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace for $450. I've also got some body work and paint to attend to in the spring, but right now I'm just enjoying the truck. I'm going to be giving Battlefield OD Green a go. I'm amazed at how fast it cranks up, just the slightest bump of the key and she starts right up, unless its really cold. I plan on eventually building some form of expedition rig, but I haven't decided what direction to go with it just yet. I'm sure I'll figure it out in the next year or two. Oh yea, its got a 4L80E and runs like a champ between 65-75mph all day long. It really struggles up hills though, but its a 6.2L, I expected as much.

View attachment 753478View attachment 753479View attachment 753480View attachment 753481View attachment 753482View attachment 753483View attachment 753484View attachment 753485View attachment 753486View attachment 753487View attachment 753488
LOL...did you re-mark that truck with the 13-ZR for "Zombie Response?"

Looks like a pretty clean M1008. Even the dash pad appears nearly new. Congratulations. It looks like you or someoe else has replaced the sealed bean headlams with LEDs. How's that working out for ya?

Tailwheel

I did not remark the truck, didn’t even associate the two. The LED headlights are great so far. I can tell they are a little cheap and probably won’t last long but they are working great for now

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks