• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New M1009 owner lift ?

kmm2736

Hi,

I plan to use B52 kit from DIY. I have access to a nice salvage yard with plenty of old 3/4 and one tone Chevy's. I plan on Pulling 2 sets of 3/4 52s and doing the swap. My rear spring on my M1009 look beat. For another tech note on my swap I was thinking of using ORD zero rate add a leaf for an extra inch of lift, any downs sides to pushing 4" 52 swap to a 5" lift? (transfer case drop?)

ORD site info:

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] A longer spring will come back farther on full compression and with a stock length shackle, will probably hit the frame. This provides a really harsh bottom out and cause a lot of extra stress on the frame and spring hangers. That’s why our shackles are longer than stock.
[/FONT]

Another question is what is the preferred length of shackles to use for the front with a 52 swap. DIY has a 7.25", 6" and 4.5".

Thanks in advance for any input!!

RedneckMilenko

Honestly, with how old the motor mounts are I wouldn't use a t-case drop without changing them. A lot of stress is on them in the first place with how much vibration the engine emmits in the 1st place, you add the stress of a different angle than originally planned you may end up with failures. They sell poly mounts for replacements but I'd try to go with a SYE to change your drive line angles. Just remember, if the angle coming off the back of the T-case isnt within 2 degrees of the angle going into the back of the diff you're more than likely going to have a fair amount of vibration. That's what I've heard anyway, please correct me if I'm wrong anyone.

rickf

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The angle is correct, should be as close to equal at both ends as possible. The exception to the rule is if you have a double cardan joint at the transfer case end in which case the differential should be rotated close to straight. Keep in mind that it will rotate up on acceleration so you want it down a few degrees to compensate.

Rick

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks