• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New M1009 Owner Needs Help

RPMG

Hello All,

I became the new owner of a M1009 in great shape and have started the restoration! See pic below. I am trying to get a transimission shop to convert me to a 700r4 or a 4L60 which ever is more rugged. Here in Western South Carolina no one has done it that I can find. I know this has been a topic here many times but I am looking for step by step guide to doing this conversion so I can share it with the transmission shop. If anyone can help I would GREATLY appreciate it. My setup is:

85 M1009
6.2 Diesel
Stock 10 bolt axles
4:10 gears
4 inch Rough Country Lift
33" tires

I have read everything from changing the spline gear to moving the cross memebr to you do or dont have to cut the drive shaft to how to install the TV cable. I just need to gather this all accurately in one place. Again any help is most gratiously appreciated.

Thanks

Robert

Attachments

Last edited:

Jersey4x4

The 4L60 is a computer controlled unit and I dont know if the parts would be cost effictive to gain any benifit. The 700r is an OK trans if you dont plan on doing any 4wd stuff out of the ordinary. The 700r conversion should be easy since that was the civilian unit used in the blazer with the J engine and an option with the C engines You would be better off finding the entire trans/transfercase for a civy truck then to convert down from what you have. The 700r uses a 4 bolt tcase flange and the th400 uses a 6 bolt flange but the th350 uses the same flange as the 700r. Most all civy C/K series diesels had the 700r4 and np208 transfer-case and there are plenty of them around in yards and farms where the body has rotted away but the drive train is still there.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If your truck is stock, you have 3.08 gears and not 4.10s.

An overdrive with 3.08s will be disappointing.

muddog

Have you tried Jack Smith's Transmission here in town. Lance Smith is the owner and has been in the business for at least 35 yrs. He should be able to set you up with either trans you like, but it will most likely be expensive. I would try to find all of the parts and do the job myself if I was you. PM me if I can help in any way.
Harold.

jdeoliveira74

rpmg i have a civi truck with 700r4 and transfer case in my driveway i bought it as a doner truck because i needed some parts for mine. I am in southern nc

mutt1966

You need a 700R4 out of a Diesel a Gasser 700R4 is a different beast and the gearing cant be the M1009 ratio ya need 3.73 or 4.10's with the 3.08 you will have serious heat problums. Scott O&O

RPMG

The axels were regeared and have 4:10's. I have 33's on it and it screams at 55. If they were 3.08's I would be able to go alot faster. What is the difference in the 700r4 from a diesel versus a gasser?

Last edited:

Jersey4x4

There is no real difference other then the converter. The diesel converter is a 6 pad and the gasser is only 3. There were tons of differences to the 700r but not specific to gas or diesel and it was the same for any auto. Example, 32 roller sprag, kevlar clutches, HD Planet and so on are all upgrades that can be done and may be stock for certain applications. If you find one from a 4x4 dually with a 454 that most likely will have all the HD stuff in it and the bell housing is the same from the 454, 350, and 379

The axels wear regeared and have 4:10's. I have 33's on it and it screams at 55. If they were 3.08's I would be able to go alot faster. What is the difference in the 700r4 from a diesel versus a gasser?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would do a little research on the GM diesel forum as well as the hotrodders forums. Lots of little tidbits to learn and there are a few incorrect responses here. In a basic sense you need a 700R4 out of a 4x4 or plan to change the output shaft. The 4x4 trannys have a "K" on the side and use a heavy cast aluminum splash shield with struts to the motor mounts. If you plan to use the existing transfer case you will need to swap input gears. Another difference between gasser and diesels is the governor. If you equip a gasser tranny with the diesel governor and convertor, they will work fine. I can tell you from experience and with pics, not all diesel trucks had the 6 bolt convertors. As far as a TV cable, you will need to find the elusive tv linkage unique to the 6.2. Lots of little details but not too bad. Driveshaft should work OK. The 700 is a little longer but the adapter is shorter.

Last edited:

Jersey4x4

Oops I forgot about the TV cable. You will need the bracket for the cable to control the shift for the 700r. It needs the cable or it wont shift. The Gov is also the same but may need to be changed per your application. Not a big deal since they are about 19.00 and can be changed in about 5 min when in the truck. Every vehicle has a different weight and the gov affects that. There are right-ups on modification to the fly weights to make it shift as you would like it to. Factory the diesels all had a 6 bolt converter and may have been changed to the 3 bolt and they also don't all have the cast cover some used a tin cover with sheet metal screws. There is allot of work done from 1981 when the 6.2 700r combo was first introduced. I have the 10" thick C/K Parts books with part numbers if you need anything specific, I can scan pages and email them.

I would do a little research on the GM diesel forum as well as the hotrodders forums. Lots of little tidbits to learn and there are a few incorrect responses here. In a basic sense you need a 700R4 out of a 4x4 or plan to change the output shaft. The 4x4 trannys have a "K" on the side and use a heavy cast aluminum splash shield with struts to the motor mounts. If you plan to use the existing transfer case you will need to swap input gears. Another difference between gasser and diesels is the governor. If you equip a gasser tranny with the diesel governor and convertor, they will work fine. I can tell you from experience and with pics, not all diesel trucks had the 6 bolt convertors. As far as a TV cable, you will need to find the elusive tv linkage unique to the 6.2. Lots of little details but not too bad. Driveshaft should work OK. The 700 is a little longer but the adapter is shorter.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oops I forgot about the TV cable. You will need the bracket for the cable to control the shift for the 700r. It needs the cable or it wont shift. The Gov is also the same but may need to be changed per your application. Not a big deal since they are about 19.00 and can be changed in about 5 min when in the truck. Every vehicle has a different weight and the gov affects that. There are right-ups on modification to the fly weights to make it shift as you would like it to. Factory the diesels all had a 6 bolt converter and may have been changed to the 3 bolt and they also don't all have the cast cover some used a tin cover with sheet metal screws. There is allot of work done from 1981 when the 6.2 700r combo was first introduced. I have the 10" thick C/K Parts books with part numbers if you need anything specific, I can scan pages and email them.
I would like to see scans out of you C/K parts manual of a.4x4 sheetmetal cover. My books don't show that. I was also unaware of any HMMWVs with 700R4 trannys. What years did they use them?

Jersey4x4

The scans are no problem, as for the HMMWV I have no clue but I had a crate engine bought from the gov and it had all the brackets for the TV cable on it still so I kept it all for some reason and never needed it. I know it is a long rod, a plate and some brackets that connect to the IP and it goes under the intake with a fitting exactly like my gas 700r cable just in a different location.

As for price I am thinking maybe $20.00 total including shipping(If you are not in guam) I just have to find the HMMWV parts bin. I have the oil filter adapter and IP lines and maybe a dipstick also if needed.

I would like to see scans out of you C/K parts manual of a.4x4 sheetmetal cover. My books don't show that. I was also unaware of any HMMWVs with 700R4 trannys. What years did they use them?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks