• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New m1009 owner, odd sound.

pidgeon

Hi All,

I bought my m1009 last month from bottles in Utah last month. (great guy, very honest, btw). Of course, being from Oregon I didn't realize Utah DMV was closed on Saturday. Ehhhhh.... I drove the entire 760 miles back sans plates. Tie hair back, put on a camo cap, pray very hard everytime I pass a state trooper.

Anyhow, I've done a bunch of work so far. Master cyl was leaking, generic transmission vacuum leak problems, needed a new VRV as the old one was broken and now I'm in the process of designing an antenna system for it so I can use it as my field day radio platform. Now I'm here cause this one problem has me a bit stumped and scratching my head. I've got two ideas about what it is, but, y'all are the experts.

A couple of days ago I heard this mild clanking noise under the hood. Irregular. Speed or RPMs don't seem to effect it. It doesn't matter if i'm in gear or neutral. It sounds.... hollow and irregular, almost like a cable is tapping up against something hollow. Kind of like a penny in a metal jar, clanking around. Sometimes it's there, sometimes it isn't. It seems to be getting worse. It's not overly loud, but it is there.

It *seems* to be coming from front end of the engine compartment (although we all know how sounds are in engine compartments). I'm fairly technically competant but never dealt with a 6.2L before so, here is my unedumacated guess. IP/injectors or Water Pump. I'm leaning towards the water pump, thinking something degraded in there and is thunking around only because the beast isn't running rough nor has it lost power. Although, like I said, total guess.

Ideas? It doesn't sound like an expensive sound (and even if it was, I'll just rent a hoist and GL a new engine if it's something major like a cam going). I just want to get to it because I've had inexpensive sounds turn expensive quick.

-beth

pidgeon

More on this.

I drove into work today and heard the noise maybe 5 times the entire drive (20 minutes). The one time I've always been hearing the noise is when I turn the beast off. CLANK-clank.

I'm ruling out lifter/rod sounds for now, mainly because I can hear them tapping away happily with no interruptions or hiccups. I'll grab a set of belts this weekend and swap them out. When I'm in there I'll check to see if any of the things the belt rides on seem funny. I'm leaning towards something in the belt area.

Thanks all, if you have anymore ideas.... this one isn't one I've dealt with before and my google search is coming up with zilche.

Ah, the joy of owning something built 25 years ago....

datsunaholic

Have you done the simple? Like, with the engine OFF grab the fan and see if it moves side-to side. That's one of the sounds a water pump makes in it's death throes when the end bearing is coming apart. Of course, belt idlers make the same death noises.

pidgeon

Have you done the simple? Like, with the engine OFF grab the fan and see if it moves side-to side.
What's the fun of doing it with the engine off? :razz: No, I have't even dove in yet. Spent most of yesterday working on my homemade antennas for the beast. (2 meter and HF)

I'll check on it after work and see if I can get it to move. Never replaced a water pump on one of these. I've done one on a Ford 360/390 and one on an 'zu P'up and they weren't particularly hard. Can it be done radiator in?

Last edited:

91W350

Mine did that on the way home from the Lake of the Ozarks. I noticed it at the Lawrence toll booth and did not stop to check. Then at the Topeka toll booth, it was worse. I just headed on home. 120 miles later, I exited at MP 253 and it puked at the stop sign, gen light came on. The left alternator belt was missing a bunch of teeth. I stopped at Auto Zone and bought a new belt. Drove home and istalled it in the driveway. A week later I tightened it and we have been happy ever since. Glen

LionsLegacy

My M1009 makes a similar clanking. It's always there, but mine increases with RPM's. I've been told injectors, air intake, etc. I have listened to A LOT of 6.2's, and they ALL make the same noise mine did, so maybe there's something wrong, or it's just the fact that we drive around with tractor engines:D

firecontrol86

Have you done the simple? Like, with the engine OFF grab the fan and see if it moves side-to side. That's one of the sounds a water pump makes in it's death throes when the end bearing is coming apart. Of course, belt idlers make the same death noises.
so if you can move that fan easily that's a bad sign? if so mine's definitely headed out

pidgeon

Wellllll the verdict is in! I checked today and sure enough, datsunaholic was very very close. Fan clutch is utterly trashed. Very visable movement and I can see where bearings use to be. So, time to yank it. I should be able to get this out without ripping the radiator out, correct?

BTW, if someone has a spare fan clutch they'd like to sell, PM me, please.

Last edited:

pidgeon

Ok, yanked the fan clutch today. I'm surprised it was still holding together. The entire back end was missing!

Took me a whole of an hour and 15 minutes of that was walking to the neighbor to bum a 1/2inch nut since one of mine decided that it was going to go *poof* :/

On top of fixing the *clunk* some of the weird harmonics are also now gone. So, thank y'all, I appreciate the help.

-beth

66Reo6X6

Just a thought but it wouldn't hurt to check the water pump. Bought a car from a guy once that had a bad fan clutch. He had let it go long enough that it took out the water pump as well.
And if that wasn't bad enough he didn't change the leaking pump but just kept adding coolant until he forgot and overheated the thing and cracked the heads.LOL
Anyway bought the car for a good price and replaced the heads, water pump, and fan clutch and it turned out to be a great car. 1982 Olds Cutlas w/ v6 diesel.

beanman1

mine is making the sam wierd noise checked fan and it looks good i can see the power steering pump pully looks bent so checked it out and the bracket for the power steering pump is broke (the part that bolts to the front of the block)

cleb

I had the power steering pump come loose from the bracket and make a horrible vibration and some noise. These engines shake and rattle so much that half the bolts are bound to come loose at some point. I also had a bolt come loose under the valve cover. It holds the piece the rockers rock on. Lost compression on one cylinder and had a lot of awful noise. Luckily there was no permanent damage. Re-tightened it and was on the road again.

pidgeon

Yeah, water pump is something I plan doing soon. I checked it for leaks and wobble, but I'm going to swap it soon anyhow. I'm a firm believer in critical systems replacement on a rotating basis. Water pump in a month. Batteries in two. This summer replace my leaky windshields that are now gooped up with caulk. Letting my broken speedo cable go for a few months... well, I know more or less how fast I'm going... It's all about cucv physics. Drop an m1009 out of an airplane and it will accelerate to no more than 75mph. When it hits the ground it will have a broken headlight and a bent grill. The ground will have a 90 foot wide by 10 foot deep crater from which the cucv will not be able to climb out easily.