• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New M1009 Owner Speedometer Problems

richey5663

Hello All, I am new to Steel Soldiers. I joined the Army just as they were phasing the M1008/9s out and have always wanted one. I bought a 1984 M1009 from a steel soldiers member that needed tranny work (3rd was out) for a steal and she is a work in progress. As I was limping her to the nearby tranny shop, the speedometer went out. I figured when they rebuilt her that it would fix it. It did not but the tranny shifts smooth like new. I pulled the dash off yesterday and cleaned the panel (lots of dirt and dust) and got everything working right except the speedometer. The cable is new (the old one is still lying there and I am about to remove it). It is firm to the speedometer and the tranny but the squire box component the it screws into on the tranny is really wobbly (which doesn't look right to me but I have never messed with one of these before). Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all!

Last edited:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to Steel Soldiers.

Spend some time reading the CUCV Wiki page, while there download all the Tech Manuals,
Cucv Wiki - Steel Soldiers::Military Vehicles Supersite

and the CUCV FAQ

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/20600-faq-thread-cucvs.html

Now to your question.

The speedo cable connects to the ransfer case, not the transmission itself.

Most of the time speedo issues are the plastic gear that gets chewed up from lack of lubrication of the speedo cable inside of the speedo cable housing.

Section 4-10 on the TM 9-2320-289-20 Technical Manual covers removal of the Speedo cable and Section 4-10.1 shows you how to remove the speedo gear.

Warthog

Bobert

Does the odometer still work?

If it does, It could possible have a bad spring in the speedometer. Mine went out and I eventually took it apart to replace it and there is a spring coiled up around the needle shaft behind the face plate. One end should be glued down and mine came off. It bounced around for a while and then just quit.

You can replace the speedometer and just swap the face and the number roll over to the new one easily.

richey5663

Thank you all so much! I just had a new windshield put in and got her registered today. I will take her for a few spins around the block and check the odometer. If not, my weekend project will be the speedo cable housing! I forgot how much I missed driving the CUCV!!!!! Thank you all again!

flewbyu

You can test the speedo/odo with a cordless drill hooked to the cable at the xfer case. Can't remember which way to spin, though. Anybody know off the top of their heads?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks