• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New M1009 Owner

BigRix

I have been lurking for awhile and finally pulled the trigger when the right deal came along.

Sort of a basket case that the previous owner didn't have time to finish. I hope I'm up to the task. Converting to a stick shift. Most of the parts are there except for the flywheel and possibly the pedal bracket. Already has a 4" lift and 35" tires.

The plan is to get her drivable, work out the bugs, fix the rust, and put in 1 ton axles.

The only bad part was that it was a 2.5 hour drive from home.

Recovery went ok except my Expedition decided to start have driveability problems with the heat. It was 105 today. So basically I drove home in rush hour traffic at 55 mph with no a/c. I'm beat but at least it made it home.

And some pictures.

Attachments

donalloy1

Looks like you and I have a few things in common. Especially the cancer battle. Been doing rust abatement ever since I got mine. It's a struggle but worth it! Kids and I run almost everyday and love the beast. Semper Fi. Welcome to our world, DMLII sends....

CycleJay

Welcome to Steel Soldiers BigRix...

From a fellow M1009 owner here in Marietta, Ga.

Looks like you got a project on your hands, good luck with it.

Let all of us know how it goes with updates and photos.

Barrman

6.2 engine still? Just buy a clutch for a 1985 K30 truck at your local auto parts store. That is the 4 speed out of a K30 you have in the back already, right?

AlwaysInATruck

If you don't mind me asking. What'd you pay? I just got something similar and Id like to relate. People have been tellin me they don't make those Baja claws anymore so you might wanna hold onto thoseif that's even true. I've been drivin mine for 2 weeks now and love everything about the truck. Do your blackout lights work? Has it been converted to 12v? Congrats man I hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine

BigRix

I'm not sure what the trans/transfer case is out of but I know it was a gas motor so I don't have the right flywheel. Perhaps the previous owner will chime in here. Turns out I bought it from a SS guy and didn't even know it till the deal was done.

I'd rather not say what I paid just yet but I think it was a good deal.

Still 24v. Have not powered anything up yet so I don't know about the blackout lights, but everything is there.

I'm actually considering a 700r4 as I will be driving it on the street a lot.

1984M1009

I'm the previous owner the tranny is out of a 1987 k5 with a 350 the transfer case would be a 32 spline

I never was able to get the black out lights to work but I never looked into trying to fix them

Get a flywheel for a K30 with a 6.2 it has the same j code engine napa has them for a reasonable price

Last edited:

TXM1009

BigRix Congrats on your new purchase. I just bought one back in November myself. And it is a work in progress. I have some holes that need patching and a noise to isolate and repair. Good luck with your repairs and upgrades.

BigRix

Interesting what you find in these old vehicles.

What I can only imagine what is a " You can't borrow my M1009" chain bolted and welded to the seat frame. Were these wrapped around the steering wheel?

And a set of sargent chevrons.

I have now dubbed this truck "Sarge"

Attachments

TXM1009

that is the purpose of the chain and I used it till I changed my locks and ignition. All the cucv's used the same key.

BigRix

Decided to go back to a TH400 so I ordered a flexplate and bolts from the parts store.

This also gave me the opportunity to see if it will start.

I put up a youtube video to let y'all know how it went.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34YaxvscDTg&feature=plcp[/media]
Hopefully I will be checking out a trans tonight after work. Not feeling like shifting a manual any more. The knees aren't what the once were.

BigRix

After getting it running I noticed the volt meter was not in the green. I had 14.4 volts to the front battery and 12.3 to the rear. After searching and researching about charging systems I found the right alt was not charging but when checking voltage at the alternator, isolated ground to power terminal I had 70 volts. I thought I must have an internal alt problem but decided to check further before condeming the alt. Printed out the diagram from CUCVElectric.com and started tracing wires. No continuity on the power wire from right alt to buss bar. Turns out the fuse links had been cut and relocated to an aftermarket fuse box and the main power wire was trying to charge through a 15 amp fuse, which was blown. I pulled all that out and wired the fuse links back in. Problem solved.

Is this a common modification, removing the fuse links? I woud think they were more durable than fuses and if they were to be replaced it would be with something like a circuit breaker.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks