• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New M1010 owner, Central California

dennisS

Keep posting pictures of what you are doing, I'm getting ready to upgrade the rear of mine. We use it mainly for camping and hunting. I have converted from 24V to 12V, eliminating the DUVAC system, and also a push button manual glow plug activator. Getting rid of the DUVAC was the best thing I've done eliminating all the starting and charging problems that I had.

Dennis

What ever happened with this build? I'd love to see the current results, and the progress of any of the other m1010 camper builds. I'm in process of building the same, although it has temporarily stalled out and I could use some ideas and inspiration to move forward on converting it.

HoJoPo

I never did get around to completing it, and found a good deal on a newer RV, so I sold the M1010 in June. Less than a week later, the new owner listed it on Craigslist, but I'm not sure if he sold it or not. The posting expired, it wasn't removed by the owner. He did buy the VW Westfalia kitchen with it, planning to build an expedition camping rig out of it.

I've actually been watching that thread lately. Your m1010 build is virtually identical to what I've wanted to do to mine. I've been recently coming up with cabinet designs to allow a sink setup and storage. I intend to keep the original benches since they offer great storage and a platform to build a seating area that will convert to my bed (full or queen size that allows you to lie across the box without having to move everything around at night). Can't wait to see how the bike rack turns out either! Do you have any plans for mounting any kind of roof rack? I'm looking for ideas for one so I can mount extra gear, kayaks, etc. Good luck on your build, and keep the updates coming!

stevoMT

I might put the bike rack on hold. I found a M1101 trailer and brought it home for about 900$, so I can drag my snow machine with me too. 2x6 aluminum rectangular tubing is what I was planning to use with that. I was thinking along the same lines with a cabinet console that fit over the passenger side of the bottom rack. Then keep it lore enough you could still utilize the backboard as a bunk over the sink and such. I was debating on splitting the drivers side of the box in the middle to allow for two people to eat at a table and face each other. It's a tough choice, I think it would make it more user friendly since I plan on living in this think for a while, but I think a person could make a table slide out from the cabinet area and utilize that for the wood that could go between the two elevated benches. I cut some 24" wide by 3/4" plywood to span between them and the entire rear turns into a king size bed! I wish I would have taken some measurements of the rear before I took off for the summer. I could be designing the box, but oh well.

In am planning on doing some kind of roof rack. That will be a stem of what raw aluminum I can get my hands on. I was going to have a couple of Jerry cans on the front of the box on both sides of the a/c. The more I think about it, that might be a good spot for storage as well. I found a used turbo kit last spring and after driving it a little with 37's I would like to install it for sure. Mainly because of all the mountain passes out west. Do you have any sketches of your cabinet ideas? I've been tossing around the ideas of making it a fully functional water system or keeping it simple. The other wisdom I seek is has anyone stayed in one of these much in winter? I called out in it a couple weeks last winter, but I didn't have the air heater working. My debate is do I insulate it now prior to AK the other work? I am thinking 3/4" super tuff ridged insulation on the inside walls then 1/4" marine Ab plywood to make it look nice, like a cabin or something. It wasn't too cold down in new Mexico and such, but I'm going to be doing some AK and Canada trips winter and summer. What a terrific truck through. One of the guys I worked with was injured and got to take a ride in an m1010 and remember a bunch of the details, like the a/c! So I have a lot of respect for these rigs and want to tread lightly on too major of mods. But on the other hand I figure if I can give it a new life and get it out there that's probably the best respect I could pay for the truck.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
stevoMT, you need to add your state of residence to your profile. It's one of the site owners requirements.

Thanks.

HoJoPo

Just talked to the guy that bought my M1010, he had a moment of doubt and had listed it up on Craigslist, but didn't get any interest after a few days and decided to pull the ad. He still has it and plans to build an expedition camper, he's following the "Mountain Turtle" build with interest, looking for ideas.

Goose007

Hello M1010 Guys! Im the guy who bought HoJoPo's m1010 about five years ago now. So glad I didnt sell it HoJo, I love it! Converted to 12v, did a starter Harmonic b ,glow plugs n a ton of maintenance stuff. First thing I did was drive it and mod, or fix the bugs till it was a reliable vehicle. Its gonna be the coolest m1010 ever, sorry stevo ;-). A combo between tactical apocalypse mobile and man cave camper. If I ever find your number ho po ill give you a ring.
Jim

HoJoPo

Hello M1010 Guys! Im the guy who bought HoJoPo's m1010 about five years ago now. So glad I didnt sell it HoJo, I love it! Converted to 12v, did a starter Harmonic b ,glow plugs n a ton of maintenance stuff. First thing I did was drive it and mod, or fix the bugs till it was a reliable vehicle. Its gonna be the coolest m1010 ever, sorry stevo ;-). A combo between tactical apocalypse mobile and man cave camper. If I ever find your number ho po ill give you a ring.
Jim
Glad to hear that you still have it... hopefully the 700R4 transmission upgrade worked out OK. I'll be doing a similar transmission swap on my amateur radio rig, a former Billings, MT Q2 news truck (1985 Chevy Suburban 2500) with 30 foot pneumatic mast in the middle of it. 350 V8 with TH350 transmission (why they special ordered that instead of keeping the 700R4...) with 1 ton rear leafs and 14 bolt rear axle, 2WD. Though I'm thinking about using a 4L60E or 6L60E with controller, since I can buy one new for not much more than the built 700R4 cost!

radio suburban sized.jpg

My cell phone number is still the same, by the way...

joshuak

Jim
Build thread? Pictures? Come on man, gotta give us something... LOL. :beer:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks