• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New M101A1 Trailer Questions

Ty Robbins

Welcome to my first post on Steel Soldiers...I use forums a lot for various other purposes and searched here before concluding that I needed to ask these questions. Thank you for your help and patience as I learn more about this culture I've just joined.

Yesterday I purchased this M101A1 via eBay from a surplus vendor in Kansas.

Side.jpg Front.jpg Back.jpg Bed.jpg Wheel-Tire.jpg

My goal is a durable trailer for camping and general cargo use to go behind our modified 4Runners. After looking at commercial options like the Mil-Trek and others, this trailer couldn't be beat for capability and cost. Other than the photos I haven't seen the trailer, but I have a good feeling about the vendor, so I am confident he's represented it well.

I know I will have many questions as I get this trailer ready for our Yellowstone trip in late August, but for now my questions are:

• What is the best way to register this trailer in Colorado?
    • The most recent forum post I've found is from 2008 and it basically says the simplest, most cost-effective way is to tell the DMV it's home built from a collection of surplus parts.
    • Is this still a valid approach? If so, what do I need to take to the DMV to do this?
    • If not, what are my options for registering it in Colorado and what documentation will I need?
  • Spare tires questions:
    • From the photo above, could somebody help me ID the correct model tire and rim for a spare?
    • Can anyone point me to a good resource, in Colorado if possible, to get spares?
    • The vendor in Kansas has a buddy who will sell me a spare, lug wrench and either a side or front mount spare bracket for $250; is this a good deal?
I know I will also have some reconditioning questions, but those will have to wait until I have the trailer and can inspect it. The photos suggest some minor surface rust, but I am holding judgment.

Thanks for your time,
Ty

Last edited:

MDSA

Your spare will HAVE to be on a rim off another M101A1 or M37. The 5 lug pattern is unique. Might be hard to find. Ask your vendor while you're recovering the trailer if he has an extra rim.

Metternacht

This post should have the info regarding tires for the M101A1 post # 3 has the link

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/trailers/24231-tire-replacement-options.html

just in Case here is the link to the sight by CGarbee with the tire info. Very informative: Michelin 1100r16 XL tires

hope this helps. Just remember to get Radial rated tubes if you get radial tires. You will also have to find someone to handle the locking ring rims. most tire shops won't, but places that deal with Agricultural / old trucks seem to be able to deal with them.

Good luck and enjoy the trailer. Get the Tm for it also. Lots of good info there.

jasonjc

Your BEST bet for pulling that trailer behind your four runner is to get a new axle. One with brakes and a common wheel/tire. You will be much better off in the long run.But this is just my $0.02

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
or just buy an M101a2

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My suggestion is if you can upgrade to the M101A2 like others have suggested, you will be far ahead. Between the brakes and the common wheels, its worth it. Rim upgrades are possible as well. If not you can always re-axle it to match the bolt pattern on your truck. Great trailers they are.

KsM715

Welcome to the site. If you become an active member (IE spend a few hours this weekend reading the forums) I bet you can find those 3 items for less than $250

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My rule is to never ever buy a vehicle that isn't already registered/titled, regardless of what the seller says. They, of course will tell you how easy its going to be to title it, but if it turns into a problem, it will be your problem that can turn into heartburn. Saying its home-made is a big streatch. Before you give the seller any money, the title should be conditional.

If you just get the 101A2, it will be set up for surge brakes and tubless 16" 10 ply tires.

Welcome to the site. Good Luck

Wolf.Dose

For your modern towing vehicle the M101 A1 probably is NOT the correct choise. The trailer is heavy (about 600 kg on the scales, 1340 lbs according to the manual), tire size is uncommon (9.00-16 vers 235/85R16 LR E on a M102A2), stud pattern is vintage, so at least an original rim is needed for a spare, no brakes except parking vers inertia brakes on a M101 A2, no hight adjustable landing gear with some 300 lbs tounge load loaded.
The trailer is good for someone who owns a M37 series truck or M715 series truck (some CUCV series versions allow the trailer, too). Even for a Hummer the trailer is not useable according to the manual.
These trailers were available for 250 Euro (actually some 350 US $ due to exchange rate) several years ago, tires with rims for some 50 Euro, used. But these times are gone.
I got my trailer from a dealer for this money, and I'm shure, he made good profit on that, for 15 years ago, these trailer sold as surplus for 50 US$ including transportation and tax and custom clearance.
Wolf

MDSA

Ty

We use our M101A1 all the time with a modern vehicle (Ford Ranger) to haul gravel (2700 lbs), mulch, firewood, and lighter items as well. NEVER had any trouble - just use common sense.

I know, common sense might be lacking, but then NO trailer is safe.

Yes, an A2 has surge brakes - if they work properly - so it might be a better trailer.

Looks llike the trailer you're thinking of buying already has a spare.

Curta1967

Hey Ty how is the trailer going?? I have an a1 also am building into a buyout camping trailer! Does anyone on here know of a spring swap out, it's 3/4 ton now would like to go with a heavier axle?? Thanks

Curta1967

Ok guys newbie here! I thought I had an a1 but it might be an a2, it does have the sliding breaking hitch. Does anyone know of an easy spring replacement to upgrade from 3/4 ton! Thanks for the help!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is a guy selling a 1 ton A3 upgrage on a famous auction site. What are you using it for that needs that much capacity?

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Ok guys newbie here! I thought I had an a1 but it might be an a2, it does have the sliding breaking hitch. Does anyone know of an easy spring replacement to upgrade from 3/4 ton! Thanks for the help!
The military under rates their equipment why are you looking to go heavier? I would imagine the springs are the limiting factor on the weight rating, not the axle.

citizensoldier

Just remember that 3/4 ton rating is for extreme off road conditions and on a flat road they can handle 1 ton or more. With that said I upgraded one of my M101A2s with add on coil springs from Carquest Auto. They slipped between the stock springs and the frame and mounted with a U bolts. It allowed it to handle full heavy loads of fire wood without bottoming out the stock springs and less sway coming out of the woods.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks