• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New M101a2 and I need help with Pintle

JKUenvy

Hello all,

First thanks for all of the information on this site. It's been very helpful with my recent win and I'm preparing to drive from Kansas to Fort Polk, LA to pick up my new trailer.

Following the advice of others here, I picked up a magnetic trailer light kit and zip ties for the trip home. I also went to Northern tool and purchased an 8 ton pintle (item 23264) and a pintle receiver adapter (8" x 2" Item 605685) for my 4 door Jeep JK. After bolting it together, I think I may have some problems.

1. My pintle hitch height is only about 24".
2. I don't know if the diameter of the lunette will fit inside the 8-ton pintle. http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200514188_200514188
3. The pintle barely clears my spare tire and doesn't appear to open fully.

Here's the pictures:
M101a2.GIF
image4.jpg

The drawbar eye dimension is given as 2" to 3" I.D. with 1-1/4 to 1-5/8" diameter section. Does anyone know the size of the lunette and if it will fit?
Thanks in advance.

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
The pintle should work fine, don't worry about the height either. The tire looks like it might be close, but that's easy enough to move for the trip home.

MtnSnow

The 8 ton pintle will work fine but sometimes will need to be massaged a touch to get the lunette to drop in (those from Harbor/Northern seem to occasionally fit tighter than others) At the height yours it at the trailer will be butt-end high but should still tow ok. Might want a high lift jack to help lower the trailer onto the pintle if by your self for the pickup as I don't know if the trailers jack will lower it enough.

JKUenvy

Thanks Evil Dr. and MtnSnow. I'll remove the spare, and bring a big hammer for persuasion. I'm a retired USAF loadmaster and have moved a bunch of these trailers. I never imagined I'd own one. Our family needs a new camping trailer and I just couldn't bring myself to buy a harbor freight kit when I could own a military trailer.

I'm expecting to have to air the tires up, and hoping there's no brake or hub issues. I'll keep reading these threads. It appears this could be addictive.

Al Harvey

:ditto: The landing leg won't allow it to go low enough. Zip tie your military light harness to the trailer so it doesn't come off and drag. Also the safety chains will probably not rear your hitch, you might want to bring a piece of chain to run for a safety chain. Or you could loop a piece of chain around your receiver hitch and bolt it together (grade 8 bolt) then hook the trailer safety chains to it. (Hope that makes sense) If you don't use the trailers safety chains, zip tie them so they don't drag, I had one that was just wrapped over the tongue and it bounced off and was dragging. Not sure if your familiar with the trailers, but the two handles on the front of the box need to be in the up position to release the parking brakes. Good luck with your recovery.

Gunner USN

I recovered a M101A2 last spring from Wisconsin. I used the 2" receiver pintle hitch and that worked just fine. As for the safety chains, stopped at a local hardware store and picked up a pair of screw locked d-rings (with a 3000# rating each). the safety chains hung just fine. I would also recommend you taking a ir thermometer, to keep track of the hub temperatures (for the bearings). Just my 2 cents.

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The GL ladies at Ft Polk will probably use a fork lift to lift the tongue so you can fold back the landing leg and put the lunette on your hitch. I use Gorilla tape to secure the magnetic lights after having a couple bouce off, as well as the trailer chains. I use a bolt-on crank hitch from Tractor Supply (around $40) on my M101s to hitch and unhitch from my truck.

bolt on hitch.jpg

You've already got other good advice above. I'd also pull the cover, bows and sides to reduce wind resistance on your long ride home. Or just remove the cover, bows and front and rear gates if the sides are too tight. Since the trailer will be a little butt high, I also drop the tail gate and tape down the mag lights at the rear of the bed. The trailer should tow really well as long as the tire pressure is good and the bearings stay cool.

JKUenvy

I will. I plan to arrive early this week. I just need to call GL and make the appt. Thank you M109a2 and in advance to the Jeepsinker.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
As expected, it probably went without a hitch (pun intended). They are amazing trailers to tow unless you load them wrong.

JKUenvy

I'm following in the Harley footsteps. Your build is the one that inspired me to tackle the project. It has some rust on the frame that I need to take care of, so I plan on removing the bed this weekend. I was thinking about keeping it close to stock, but like you I have some brake issues. I think I'll remove the lunette, surge brakes, and replace the axle to match the jeep. I can't decide if I should re-paint it tan or white to match the jeep.

Where did you order your adjustable receiver parts? Does it all simply unbolt or did you have to use a grinder?

harleyhouse

My favorite store is ebay. I just searched the best price. There are a couple sellers that include either
a lunette ring or 2" ball coupler.

The lunette assembly all unbolts simply. Then weld the adjustable channel to the nose flat.
My 101A2 I cut off the landing leg pin lock. My M116A2 I left on.

I prefer the weld on jack stand though.

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks