• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New M1031 owner with a NP205 Transfer Case Rebuilt question

biggestc69

As far as idle times go, during Operation Iraq Freedom we didnt shut our M1031 off for 4 days. Not a place where you want to chance a no start situation. The Humvee's did the same. All were 6.2 diesels.

As to the twin stick mod on the np205 The danger is only there if you pull the shuttle pins that keep the tc from going into front low and rear high or the opposite... you can twin stick it and not have issues just dont pull the shuttle pins one in the front and one on the rear they run the length of the tc from the right to left front and rear. Check the tm to better understand or check it using google images.https://www.google.com/search?hl=en....1.62.mobile-gws-hp..22.12.7350.0.lNWVDK1X_4I

Last edited:

cucvrus

I don't know about you. But running a V8 diesel engine to run a log splitter is sort of counter productive. At that rate he would be better off buying a $125. a cord load of oak. It would probably end up being much cheaper then running the truck and doing the mods you are saying. Or buy a used wood splitter. I see them in the fliers all the time for $500-$650. Thats just my opinion on the wood splitter idea.:-D It seems the person is trying to get rid of some of the unneeded leak points on the truck not add more.:wink:

If the pto thats being talked about is the one that came on the np205 in the m1031 it most likely wouldnt be the correct ratio for a splitter pump operated either direct mount or via a shaft to a remote mounted pump.. From memory of the m1031 pto its a 180% drive ratio.. If the OP would list the pto numbers if there are any listed on it I could look up the spec in my muncie pto book.

ETA: As to the log splitting hyd pump issue...If one already has a hyd pump direct mounted (raising hand Yes I have one for a winch in one of my cucv's (I own 4) it wouldnt take a tank of fuel to split a truckload of cut rounds) and it could be a backup if the other hyd splitter is out of service So I wouldnt discount the utility factor of a cucv hyd powered splitter but the issue I see is the pto that comes with the m1031 is the wrong ratio for use with a direct or divorced mount hyd pump.

Last edited:

Skinny

Even though it is cool to have it as a multipurpose tool, I agree in that you will probably be better off using the diesel fuel spent to directly heat a dwelling than burn it in a 6.2 to split wood. I think a hydro PTO is probably better off being a short term item like for a dump body or winch set up.

I have only used my genset for short term since the 6.2 drinks fuel spinning that thing for such little wattage produced. I run it for large demands then switch over to a much smaller set for lights/fridge/etc.

Seems like the NP205 PTO for a CUCV is needed and people pay decent money for...sell it and buy what you need instead of adapting it into something that isn't ideal.

For quiksilver1j a guide to getting your tc apart and back together.
again.
They are simple but knowing a few tricks cant hurt.. Ive used this web page in reassembeling a few np205's It was very helpful when you have parts laying about and dont remember / didnt take pictures of how this or that came apart.. Wait...did that shift fork go long end to the front or back ?

But do take plenty of pics and label them...

http://www.wideopen4x4.com/NP205RebuildGuide.html

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks