• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New M105A2

voodolord

Ya I checked those out yesterday and theres no way Im spending $600. Im just going to put it up for sale. If I cant sell it I might put a new axle on it. Thanks for the help.

number9

I've got or had five M105A2's, two M105A3's, an M101A2, an M116A2, an M116A3 and an M101A3. By far my favorite is the M101A3. Perfect for pulling behind my GMC 2500HD and is 55" between the fenders vs 45" of the M101A2.

I'd suggest selling the M105 and looking for a M101A3.

I like my M105's and plan to mod them to make the perfect version IMO which will be the A3 bed & wheels on the A2 chassis (for the landing gear and air brakes). While I have pulled them with my pickup and had no issues, I'd not want to do it often. I love them behind the Deuce though.

Last edited:

top_prop

So why cant a surge brake actuator be used ? I know they can be had around the $100-150 range.

i'm new to all this, but as I understand it, surge breaks are pure hydraulic... if the lunette isn't being pulled forward by the truck it shifts aft, engaging the hydraulic break harder as it goes further aft...

The M105 has air breaks that actuate hydraulic breaks, so if one was to put a surge break in it would have to replace the air portion...

Having never seen the M105 in person, we'd need to know where the diaphram that converts air to hydraulic pressure is and interface the surge controller there... might be possible... I couldn't tell you.

Again I'm just speculating and waiting for an expert to weigh in.

I'm glad that the M105 I bid on by just seeing a bigger gross weight and not understanding they were airbrake trailers was just out bid... I'll shop around for M101's now seeing I've got a civie 2500HD truck with a solid electric break controller, and looking for a M1009 as well...

I'd really like to see a trailer FAQ as sweet as the Duece's faq at the top of the Duece forum...

Last edited:

AMX

My thought was to use the flex lines from the wheel cylinders ,then hard line the brakes to the master cylinder on the surge coupler. The surge coupler would be a ball mount so the lunette is deleted and so is the air system.

AMX

If you want to lower your trailer and put electric brakes I would put a Dexter 10000 Axle under it . I do beleive you would be very happy with this setup
I agree, that is a nice option. But you are talking about $1k modification while I was talking $150-$200 with new parts.

number9

I've gotten $500 for both 105's I've sold - and the 101A2 i sold, seems to be the cap around the area.

While the trailers are for sure worth the asking price on the civi market when compared to civi trailers, I'd never pay those prices when I can get one from GL for 1/2 or less.

voodolord

It cost me 250 to drive up there and get the trailer. 150 for the trailer. Ill either sell it or cut my losses and and modify it. Either way It was a good deal.

Last edited:

top_prop

My thought was to use the flex lines from the wheel cylinders ,then hard line the brakes to the master cylinder on the surge coupler. The surge coupler would be a ball mount so the lunette is deleted and so is the air system.
To me, the totally green newbie, who has hauled a few 9-12K trailers behind my 2500 HD with electric brakes (yes I know my truck isn't rated for it, but it did it just fine as long as I went slow and took smooth back roads), what you state above seams feasible and cheap...

If I had a M105, I was thinking that I'd sit it on a 7000# or heavier axle with electric breaks... probably have to get new rims and tires too. That looked like a grand easy and a bit of work. Just like others have suggested here.

But if I had a M105 and I could sell it, I'd cut my loses and get a M101...

Remember I'm just a newbie and my advise is worth what you paid for it.[thumbzup]

EDIT TO ADD: Oh, and if you do figure out the mod you are thinking of, please, please, please take pics and make a thread here! thanks!

Last edited:

top_prop

I'm liking this more and more... I have a friend who is a hobbiest welder... hmm...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks