• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New M1078A1R

Third From Texas

It's standard on all military vehicles now - it's for charging NVG's, etc.
I'm not a big fan of the having the outlet there. I ran an extension from the outlet to the top of the dash. Eventually I plan on deleting the OEM location though. Passengers (especially German Shepherds) tend to knock anything plugged into the kick panel loose.

:)

20200919_173556.jpg

Last edited:

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I'm not a big fan of the having the outlet there. I ran an extension from the outlet to the top of the dash. Eventually I plan on deleting the EM location though. Passengers (especially German Shepherds) tend to knock anything plugged into the kick panel loose.

View attachment 905122
I would guess that the charger on the passenger side of the vehicle was a way to have a 12v charging port and not give the ability (to appear) to endorse operation of some sort of mobile device by the driver. Co-Driver or Observer could even have a legitimate reason to use the charging port.

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm not a big fan of the having the outlet there. I ran an extension from the outlet to the top of the dash. Eventually I plan on deleting the EM location though. Passengers (especially German Shepherds) tend to knock anything plugged into the kick panel loose.

View attachment 905122
Man even your dog gets it ! Why cant all the humans figure it out (bandana) !!!!!!

GCecchetto

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Okay another Newby question. The seller has not yet received the SF97, so I'm thinking it's probably unlikely he will in the next couple of weeks and then get it registered in Wyoming, which would make it very easy for me to register is in SD. If he has been unable to register the truck and does not have the SF97, is there a legal way to move the truck....without shipping it? I can just take the risk of driving it, and I do have it insured already, but seems very likely that over the course of a 2900 mile trip, some law enforcement somewhere is going want to know why there is no license plate on it.

Third From Texas

Okay another Newby question. The seller has not yet received the SF97, so I'm thinking it's probably unlikely he will in the next couple of weeks and then get it registered in Wyoming, which would make it very easy for me to register is in SD. If he has been unable to register the truck and does not have the SF97, is there a legal way to move the truck....without shipping it? I can just take the risk of driving it, and I do have it insured already, but seems very likely that over the course of a 2900 mile trip, some law enforcement somewhere is going want to know why there is no license plate on it.
Log onto your state DPS website and see if they sell temporary transport tags. I drove my across country with paper tags. Cost me like $30 and they're good for like 30 days iirc.

*you'll need the VIN and insurance

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You think that, but probably not. If you want the best mileage and if you don't yet have ECO hubs on the truck then you'll want to travel at 50 mph. Driving a bone stock M1078 - most law enforcement is going to assume you are military unless you demonstrate otherwise or blatantly break the law somehow.

I flew to Houston and already had my insurance paperwork sorted out. I had the truck's TX title but the truck had no plates - no clue why - never asked. Was followed by multiple stormtroopers and even waved at by a few on multiple occasions across Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, Nevada, and Oregon and never once had any of them ask for a piece of what was on offer. And since then my truck is registered to Utah and I do carry my plates in an envelope in the cab. I don't run my Utah plates and my friend across town doesn't run his Oregon plates on his 2003 M1078 and no one cares. Since COVID they aren't really pulling anyone over for expired tags anyway so that might be part of it. But we just decided we don't care anymore and aren't going to run them and if anyone asks they are in my cab and I'll just say they got stolen and I'm on my way to the hardware store to get new screws. The reality is - driving one of these trucks you are one of a couple possibilities in the eyes of law enforcement - US Army for which they have no real jurisdiction, someone that is clearly *not* of the typical peasant class they regularly extort for money and probably of little return value, not the easiest target, and as a former police officer friend of mine suggested - "Probably a retrumplican insurrectionist with hand grenades lies within and if I don't stop it no one will get hurt."

Carry all your paperwork. Wear an ACU/BDU cap and a brown t-shirt. Drive 50 mph like you hate your mission and are in no hurry to complete it and be sent to clean the latrines. You'll be fine.

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I did avoid California on my trip. For a lot of reasons and on my list at the time was potential Imperial Entanglements but I suspect the more rural areas would be alright just like it is everywhere else. Cops are people too (so I'm told) and the vast majority of them are going to see you and conclude an easier target will be along shortly and go back to their donut.

Third From Texas

most law enforcement is going to assume you are military unless you demonstrate otherwise or blatantly break the law somehow.

Carry all your paperwork. Wear an ACU/BDU cap and a brown t-shirt. Drive 50 mph like you hate your mission and are in no hurry to complete it and be sent to clean the latrines. You'll be fine.

So much this^

Never had a cop look at me while driving anywhere.

We popped a u-joint on the way up to do a trailer recovery from Red River one winter. Spent 24 hrs on the side of the road waiting on parts (generator running, work lights, TV antenna deployed)

Both DPS and the local sheriffs rolled up at different times because we'd been parked there so long. Both assumed were were a NG unit on maneuvers.

LOL

20191210_191228.jpg

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yup. I blew tire on the interstate and spent about 3 hours in the back of the parking lot of an LA Fitness (upscale neighborhood) changing it out. Had the sheriff stop and ask if I needed any help. I said nope got everything I need but thank you sir! They asked if my truck was a Unimog and I explained what it was and they said good luck and have a nice day. Again - no plates on display. They didn't even ask for my ID.

littlesfmtv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Emergency air and parking brake control lock:

Buy tools on Amazon and send them ahead of you. That's what I did for my drive from Houston to Portland.

The disconnect switch in the cab is a double pole single throw switch. One side operates the remote disconnect relay and one interrupts the ignition switch power. I added a keyed switch next to the disconnect switch that is in series with the ignition circuit.

Here's the schematics for the A1R:

!!!!!! Thank you for this. I am so bad at finding these nuggets of info on the internet.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks