• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New M109 is home... Transmission leak? Help!

uoa

Leak update on page 2... Still need some help!

Made the trip from Stillwater to Ft. Riley with Warthog (WH from here on) today. Got to the truck, my first one, and looked it over... everything looked promising. I changed the batteries out while WH filled the master cylinder which was only a little low. Checked all the fluids, radiator was full, oil was good! I got in, checked for hydro lock, WH stood by the air intake. Pushed kill switch in, turned it over while WH gave it a quick shot of ether. It fired right up and idled like a champ! At this point some guys are cruising down the road behind us, one in a running deuce, the other being dragged behind in another deuce which was pouring out white smoke. I got started airing up all the tires, they were all about 10psi... that took a while. In the mean time, my truck is still purring, the two guys had made a couple passes... still dumping white smoke! We got my truck battened down and off we went! Did I mention the truck had half a tank of fuel? My truck cruised back to Stillwater at 75mph... I was behind him in my Deuce;-). But really, The deuce cruised back at 60mph at a little over 2500rpm. Speed was provided by the chase truck since the speedo cable in the deuce is shot. Stopped and checked the truck a few times, everything looked good! Dropped WH off at his vehicle, and noticed an oil drip from the slobber tube other than that and a leak at the IP, everything was good.

THE PROBLEM:

I got back to my house and noticed a rather large puddle of oil under the transmission. It is dark outside so I can't see much and I'm not all that familiar with this area of the truck. The pictures are attached. I can't figure out where it is coming from, its everywhere! The oil smells and looks like clean motor oil, honey colored... not dark. Any ideas where its coming from and what the fix is? Can I drive it?

Thanks,
Kyle

PS: WH has most of the pics from the day, I'm sure he will post them later.

Attachments

Last edited:

wsucougarx

Did you check your fluid levels before and after the trip? I'd wipe everything down, take it out for a drive and re-inspect to see if you can isolate where the oil is coming from

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I'd say the transfer input and outputs need seals. Not hard to do (I've done it to mine).

Really wanna diagnose it right? Buy some degreaser and clean the heck out of the bottom of the truck, then drive it a couple miles. That way you can really tell where it is leaking from.

Nice truck!

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Check the speedo cable. Since the speedo was jumping all around yesterday you may have a hole in the housing. I had one do the same "oil on the spare tire" trick. I had a hole worn in the speedo cable housing.

The trip was really uneventful. I really hate when that happens....:-D

After a long sleep, the old girl just needed a booster shot of "fire in the can" and off she went. I was really suprised how well she ran. 55-60 mph for 5 hrs.

Of course no recovery trip is complete without a drive thru Small-Town America and a stop at the Drive-Thru at McDonalds.

You did good Grasshopper.

Warthog

Attachments

Last edited:

migz

Looks like seals to me as well. One of my trucks had been sittng for in mil storge for 13 years before I got it out of GL. The seals in the t-case, transmission and engine rear main were toast a couple hours into our recovery and the underbelly had a nice coat of gear oil on it similar to what yours looks like.

uoa

Thanks again for the help on the trip Warthog!

Ok, so I recently remembered that the gear oil in these trucks is mineral oil... that is definitely what is leaking. I will degrease the belly and test drive... Does anyone know a source for those seals? Im currently scouring the TM's for the procedure, any hints would help.

Kyle

uoa

Also theres a breather on top of the tranny , if its stuck it will leak from what looks like the top of the tranny.
Thanks! That is what it looks like. The wires and cables at the top of the tranny are covered the thickest... some still have some drips coming off this morning. That is accessed from inside the cab by the shift lever right?

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can take the sheet metal off from the inside of the cab. There are three pieces. Take the center one off first. This is the one with the shifter. If you can't see the leak take the back (under the pass seat) cover off next. It may help to remove the pass seat first.

Memphis Equipment should have every seal that you will every need.

uoa

Ok, I tracked down the leak, the picture is posted below. The leak is right at the tip of the arrow, tightening that nut doesn't stop it. What is that thing and when I take it off am I going to loose gallons of oil? There is also another leak on the same hose that is coming out the front of that thing. That leak is farther to the front of the truck and tucked up above the transmission, I haven't gotten a good look at that. Both leaks appear to be high-pressure.

Attachments

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeap that the speedo cable housing. It isn't a hose.

Take a look at TM 9-2320-361-24P. On page 676, fig 259 has a diagram
I have included it.

The instruction to remove the cable are in TM 9-2320-361-24-1. pg 99-00 (or 769 of 1176)

It doesn't say to use thread sealer but I would. Anyone have any sugestions?

Warthog

Attachments

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The manual doesn't say anything about draining oil. Without looking I think it is above the fill line.

Here is the pic

Attachments

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
On second thought, your truck is toast. You need to get rid of it as soon as possible. I will come and pick it up and put you out of your missery.

Sorry man, thems the breaks

Warthog

Last edited:

uoa

On second thought, your truck is toast. You need to get rid of it as soon as possible. I will come and pick it up and put you out of your missery.

Sorry man, thems the breaks

Warthog
Dang! Ok, well just come whenever.:wink: I found some of your stuff that got left in the truck, I will be in OKC on Wednesday... I can drop it by then.

Well Warthog nailed it with the first guess on what the problem was, thanks a ton to everybody!

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks