• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New M1165 owner with questions

greatjay

Hi all,

ive been a long time reader of these forums and always been a fan of humvees. Finally pulled the trigger and won one on iron planet. It’s an M1165. I paid more than I’d like to have but honestly it’s in great shape. It runs and drives, working ac, has all the hard doors and roof. Only things it’s missing are an odometer, the engine doghouse, and the driver mirror. It has a little bit of play in the steering wheel, and a very small oil leak under it. I’m thinking it won’t be that big of a deal to get all patched up. Hopefully... but if anyone has any tips for a first time buyer I’d love to hear what you have to say.

I know this model has more horsepower and a little increased capacity for pulling. I’m curious how this humvee would do in a truck pull. I’ve always wanted to enter my 1 ton pickup, but it is my only vehicle as of now and was always afraid about messing it up and not being able to get to work. Not that I want to mess up my humvee, but if s**t happened, no big deal I’ll fix her, I can still get to work (to afford the repair!) I know they’re really not meant to do that but I have seen a few on YouTube that were supposedly stock and did ok. Just curious.

Another question I do have that has been weighing on my mind, and I know you’re not supposed to talk about it on the forums, and I apologize in advance for this but I know nowhere else to go to actually talk to people k knowledgeable in this... how the heck do I get this thing registered so I can drive in on the road just like my pickup truck. I live in Pa. my head is literally spinning from what I’ve read online. Some sites say it‘s no big deal, and others basically say it’s impossible. I just want to get it registered to where I can drive it to the store or to work whenever I want. We don’t even have to talk about it on the forums, I would be happy to PM about it if anyone can guide me.

thanks for everyone reading and I’m forever grateful to anyone willing to give this newbie some tips on owning a beast like this.

thanks,
Jay

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Hi all,

ive been a long time reader of these forums and always been a fan of humvees. Finally pulled the trigger and won one on iron planet. It’s an M1165. I paid more than I’d like to have but honestly it’s in great shape. It runs and drives, working ac, has all the hard doors and roof. Only things it’s missing are an odometer, the engine doghouse, and the driver mirror. It has a little bit of play in the steering wheel, and a very small oil leak under it. I’m thinking it won’t be that big of a deal to get all patched up. Hopefully... but if anyone has any tips for a first time buyer I’d love to hear what you have to say.

I know this model has more horsepower and a little increased capacity for pulling. I’m curious how this humvee would do in a truck pull. I’ve always wanted to enter my 1 ton pickup, but it is my only vehicle as of now and was always afraid about messing it up and not being able to get to work. Not that I want to mess up my humvee, but if s**t happened, no big deal I’ll fix her, I can still get to work (to afford the repair!) I know they’re really not meant to do that but I have seen a few on YouTube that were supposedly stock and did ok. Just curious.

Another question I do have that has been weighing on my mind, and I know you’re not supposed to talk about it on the forums, and I apologize in advance for this but I know nowhere else to go to actually talk to people k knowledgeable in this... how the heck do I get this thing registered so I can drive in on the road just like my pickup truck. I live in Pa. my head is literally spinning from what I’ve read online. Some sites say it‘s no big deal, and others basically say it’s impossible. I just want to get it registered to where I can drive it to the store or to work whenever I want. We don’t even have to talk about it on the forums, I would be happy to PM about it if anyone can guide me.

thanks for everyone reading and I’m forever grateful to anyone willing to give this newbie some tips on owning a beast like this.

thanks,
Jay
Hi Jay,

I personally think you would have a lot more fun driving your truck around on the road and rumble along down the dirt roads. Then maybe through a creek or two or three... Maybe I am just old, but I just can't quite understand pulling another truck backward and potentially tearing up gears or a transmission. Figure that sort of excitement could cost you 25% or as much as 50% of the cost you just paid to guy your new HMMWV.

There are plenty of folks in PA with these trucks on the highway. Hopefully some of them will chime in on their results at their local DMV's. You might start looking now for insurance. That will be your next fun adventure. Expect to be told no. Ignore that and keep asking for insurance, There is an insurance forum here - and it is done by state - to give you useful information for YOUR state.

Tim Mullaney

greatjay

Hi Jay,

I personally think you would have a lot more fun driving your truck around on the road and rumble along down the dirt roads. Then maybe through a creek or two or three... Maybe I am just old, but I just can't quite understand pulling another truck backward and potentially tearing up gears or a transmission. Figure that sort of excitement could cost you 25% or as much as 50% of the cost you just paid to guy your new HMMWV.

There are plenty of folks in PA with these trucks on the highway. Hopefully some of them will chime in on their results at their local DMV's. You might start looking now for insurance. That will be your next fun adventure. Expect to be told no. Ignore that and keep asking for insurance, There is an insurance forum here - and it is done by state - to give you useful information for YOUR state.

Tim Mullaney
Hi Tim,

Thanks for the reply. I know for sure I’d love driving mine on the road and off it too more. I actually want to give it a little tlc and check it all over and start using it as a second vehicle. I hear from a lot of owners if you just take care of these, they will run and run and run. Hoping that’s true and I get a reliable vehicle out of this. I hope for what I had to pay! But she’s in really good shape and you get what you pay for I guess.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Hi Tim,

Thanks for the reply. I know for sure I’d love driving mine on the road and off it too more. I actually want to give it a little tlc and check it all over and start using it as a second vehicle. I hear from a lot of owners if you just take care of these, they will run and run and run. Hoping that’s true and I get a reliable vehicle out of this. I hope for what I had to pay! But she’s in really good shape and you get what you pay for I guess.
Agreed!

I can remember being a youngster and smoking the tires was the thing to do... Don't know if you have ever heard of a "swear jar" or not, but I fashioned something similar. It was the "burnout jar" and that was how I bought tires. Eventually I made the car go faster, but as I did that I broke parts. Transmissions, axles, ring gears, drive shafts and universal joints. Eventually I needed more power.

More Power! Home Improvement Fire.gif

Then it got really expensive because as I created more power, more things broke behind the engine. It was a vicious cycle but I loved every minute. If you are willing to spend what you just spent several more times over the next few years - you can do it. :cool:

I think your ideas from other owners about taking care of her and treating her gently will keep you and your new truck happy.

Tim

greatjay

Agreed!

I can remember being a youngster and smoking the tires was the thing to do... Don't know if you have ever heard of a "swear jar" or not, but I fashioned something similar. It was the "burnout jar" and that was how I bought tires. Eventually I made the car go faster, but as I did that I broke parts. Transmissions, axles, ring gears, drive shafts and universal joints. Eventually I needed more power.

View attachment 845548

Then it got really expensive because as I created more power, more things broke behind the engine. It was a vicious cycle but I loved every minute. If you are willing to spend what you just spent several more times over the next few years - you can do it. :cool:

I think your ideas from other owners about taking care of her and treating her gently will keep you and your new truck happy.

Tim
lol I had to get rid of my swear jar. It cost me too much to have one.

Action

Do you mean you need a speedometer? Or do you have the speedo with a missing odometer?
There is a 60mph and an 80 mph. Look at the speedo cable dangling in the dash. If it is electric, you need the 80. If it is a mechanical shaft that sticks into the speedo, you need the 60.

If you think there will be issues in your state, get a title from GP. Then just take the paperwork in and try to transfer to your state.

M1165A1

Jay is your truck an M1165 or M1165A1? Is the serial number over 300,000? It makes for a number of mechanical differences vs. the slightly older M1165.

greatjay

Do you mean you need a speedometer? Or do you have the speedo with a missing odometer?
There is a 60mph and an 80 mph. Look at the speedo cable dangling in the dash. If it is electric, you need the 80. If it is a mechanical shaft that sticks into the speedo, you need the 60.

If you think there will be issues in your state, get a title from GP. Then just take the paperwork in and try to transfer to your state.
Yes the speedometer. And from my understanding of this model it takes the 80.

greatjay

I’ll have to get the oil leak figured out, it’s not bad but I don’t want it leaking. If I recall don’t the pcv valves on these tend to gunk up and cause a slight oil leak?

I just hope the steering issue isn’t bad. They say there is heavy movement in the steering linkage and play in the steering wheel. I’ve heard a lot of people have to replace idler arms and steering arms when they buy these, not sure if that’s my problem or not considering I haven’t even seen it yet, let alone crawled under and poked around.

All in all I don’t think I got a bad truck. I would like to keep it as original and basic as possible. Only thing I would like to add is some form of am/fm/Bluetooth radio of sorts for those long drives to work. Guess I gotta get something with some decent kick to be able to hear it in the cab lol. I’ve seen some players people have mounted in interesting locations. If I remember though humvees don’t work on 12v, so I guess I’d have to get a voltage converter.

Ive also heard about people swapping engines and trans for a Cummins or duramax and Allison transmission. I’m not sure if I’d want to do that. One one hand sure the added spring in the step would be nice, but on the same hand I’ve heard there are way more electronics in those than what’s stock on these, and I just feel like that could be possible points of failure. Plus I wonder how the rest of the drivetrain would handle the boost in horsepower and torque.

Last edited:

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
have You even taken possession of the truck? The list of things needed to check is quite long, I can’t stress getting a knowledgable person to go over the truck, all fluids changed etc…I receive in new trucks weekly, not a single one
is like the last, they have all been used, abused and odd parts removed, I’ve found That the newer 11 series trucks “not m1123’s” having not been mothballed and just turned out after turn in, are especially subject to previous parts removal.
Not sure why folks bid and buy a truck they have no idea if whether or not they can get road titled, unless of course it’s no big deal, but to not perform due diligence before you drop over $30k, at least make sure you can road title it where you live, the biggest issue with these later model trucks is the model yearl many states require emission, so the later model will never pass as the are no OBD2 port like a civilian vehicle, but again…it’s state specific. As a shop, I unfortunately see this far to often and it’s quite a let down for many new owners.

thoner7

have You even taken possession of the truck? The list of things needed to check is quite long, I can’t stress getting a knowledgable person to go over the truck, all fluids changed etc…I receive in new trucks weekly, not a single one
is like the last, they have all been used, abused and odd parts removed, I’ve found That the newer 11 series trucks “not m1123’s” having not been mothballed and just turned out after turn in, are especially subject to previous parts removal.
Not sure why folks bid and buy a truck they have no idea if whether or not they can get road titled, unless of course it’s no big deal, but to not perform due diligence before you drop over $30k, at least make sure you can road title it where you live, the biggest issue with these later model trucks is the model yearl many states require emission, so the later model will never pass as the are no OBD2 port like a civilian vehicle, but again…it’s state specific. As a shop, I unfortunately see this far to often and it’s quite a let down for many new owners.
I know this is an old thread but your point about emissions testing is a good one.

does anyone know when this testing started nation wide? Aka- what year humvees would be exempt in all 50 states?

in 1998/1999 Cummins went to the VE pump on the 5.9 to comply with stricter emissions. I think they switched again around 2006/7? How far back does one need to go to be safe?

thoner7

I know this is an old thread but your point about emissions testing is a good one.

does anyone know when this testing started nation wide? Aka- what year humvees would be exempt in all 50 states?

in 1998/1999 Cummins went to the VE pump on the 5.9 to comply with stricter emissions. I think they switched again around 2006/7? How far back does one need to go to be safe?
Answered my own question:
Does my car have OBD II?
All 1996 and newer model year gasoline and alternate fuel passenger cars and trucks are required to have OBD II systems. All 1997 and newer model year diesel fueled passenger cars and trucks are also required to meet the OBD II requirements. Additionally, a small number of 1994 and 1995 model year gasoline vehicles were equipped with OBD II systems. To verify that your vehicle is equipped with OBD II, you can look for the words "OBD II" on the emission control information label attached to the underside of the vehicle hood.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Emission testing is on a state by state basis, in Texas only vehicles belonging to owners in certain counties need to be emission tested.
The cutoff is any vehicle over 24 years old and also all motorcycles and all diesel vehicles are exempted.

thoner7

Emission testing is on a state by state basis, in Texas only vehicles belonging to owners in certain counties need to be emission tested.
The cutoff is any vehicle over 24 years old and also all motorcycles and all diesel vehicles are exempted.
TN used to be like that, by county, but recently the State did away with that law so now there’s none. In NY they test everyone but I’m not sure if their cutoff.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks