• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New M211 Member

SturmTyger380

What makes me feel stupid is that I knew better. I have rebuilt over 8 different kinds. The hardest was a 1984 Honda CRX.

On the M211 I took one of the idle screws out of the spare carburetor that looks like the one from the M211 but the base is different. Maybe from a Comet? The idle screws were a different shape. I used that an it controls the flow more than the original one.

Alan

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ya got me all excited again. Are we going to get to be there when you fire it up? A little video maybe? 8 years sitting makes the anticipation of a running 302 just that much better. Wish I could help.

Who knows, maybe you struck on a modification that makes her run sweet with twice the fuel mileage.;) No worries, you'll get er'.

SturmTyger380

I am following that start up process I posted awhile back. I have the plugs out and put the squirts of marvel mystery oil in the cylinders. I charged up the two batteries I already had so I have 25 volts. I checked it with a meter. I took jumper cables and hooked the batteries directly up to the starter switch and the ground of the starter. I jumped up in the drivers seat and pulled back on the start lever. I expected the engine to turn easy cause the plugs are out. The engine gave a half a turn and quit. I went back out to check on the connections and the starter. The starter was smoking some. I tired again later and no movement just some more smoke. So I am guessing a new starter is needed.

Any one have a good source of a good starter?

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Get a bar on the crankshaft and turn it backwards and then forward. I hope you do not hear a big "thunk". Had a block freeze once and break out a chunk of cylinder. Also had a valve hang open and stop the starter once. Dropped a nut down the intake once... Good luck.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Rollie the Goalie mechanic cautioned me on the starter hook-up. I'll follow up on it but if it hasn't spun in a while it might need some special hammers. There's another note somewhere about shocking the generator and it's on a tech tip sheet I can dig up tomorrow if someone doesn't get to it first. When I had my starter re-built the cost was around $200.00 from Cooper Bros here in Edmonton.

Usually I try and post a link to the TM page because no one likes the "read the TM's guy"....so my apologies in advance of no links but Jatonka and G749 search will net the TM's you don't have.

The battery connection on page 272 in TM 9-8024 shows:

Battery #1 Positive to Battery #2 Negative........Battery #2 Positive to Starter Switch........ Ground from starter to (Figure 144. says "ground on dash") which ties to Negative on Battery #1 (Ground on Dash)

That 302 should have spun over easily. Can we "bench (vise) test" the starter? Beat it with a 50's blues theme rubber hammer before tearing it down or shipping it out. Something's not right but if the starter hasn't whirred in a while, she might need some tlc. Be sure it's getting 24 volts!!!
I MUST include the starter removal info on page 273 par. 151 which begins:

Starter

a. Removal
(1) Remove right front fender (par.304b).

Last edited:

Section8

Hmmm. Hendersonds remembered motor issue sounds familiar?
Did you by chance own a robins egg blue M135 once? LOL!
NOS parts are always nice to see. Glad there are still some out there.
Could be the starter worm gear is out of sync or has a broken tooth or two. Causes the starter to jam and burn itself out.
Had an old Chev 1500 do that once.

USMC 00-08

Today the Postal Service brought my Christmas present! NOS G749 Airpack rebuild kit!
Wow! Where did you find that?! Do you mind saying what you paid for it?

I just finished my airpak rebuild this evening using the 5 ton rebuild kit and piston conversion. I sure hope it works.

SturmTyger380

It started by me winning a soft top bow on e-pay for $15. I talked to the guy on the phone up in Illinois about a friend of mine driving down from Chicago to pick up the bow.

He was telling me how he had sold his truck. So I asked if he had any left over parts. Sure enough he had the air pack kit and an NOS gas tank sending unit.

That was the only brake kit he had. I paid $125 for it. About what you would pay for the 5 ton kit. I guess the lesson here is just keep asking folks about stuff.

SturmTyger380

Just got back from the Aberdeen flea market in Maryland. Look what I found among a pile of pipes and parts in a big box on the back of a trailer!

G749 Mufler.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks