• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New M35!!!!!

panzerbob

So the wife finally gave in to my obsession, and I bought a military vehical. I picked up a 1954 m35 duece, w/6 cyln gas engine for $400!!!!!!! from a vet friend of mine. The truck is in great shape, just had an engine rebuild, all fluids changed, carb rebuilt, ect...

the cons are that it does NOT have the wooden sides for the caro bed, troop seats, bows or canvas for the bed, and the tires are non military. It runs great, and really only needs those and a paint job to be restored!

this is my first duece, so I have a few questions. first, I would like to restore this to a mid 50's paint scheme, where would I find onfo on how it should look? Next question is that obviously my vehical is not eequiped with any safety gear, like seat belts. how or do any of you install seatbelts and still remain "correct?"

Thank you, and I'm sure this will not be my last post requestig help getting this beast ready for its first show!

2LT Gabriel Peterman, OD
Commander Det 1 1115th Trans
New Mexico Army National Guard

JDToumanian

Welcome!

Sounds like you got one heck of a deal!

Troop seats are not a big deal... Boyce Equipment or Thompson's Militaria, both in Utah, should have them. The trick is finding them relatively close to you because shipping would cost much, much more than the parts themselves.

For seat belts, MWO 9-2320-200-35-1 (available in the Technical Manuals section on this site) covers installation and will show you what you need. I've seen complete seat belt kits around, on eBay and at MV shows. I got a NOS set in the box for $60 at Tower Park back in April, they usually seem to be more expensive than that.

I dunno about your paint questions, but someone else will surely chime in...

Regards,
Jon

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome aboard and congratulations on your first military vehicle! I am sure you'll be after another before long. In terms of how it should look, I recommend checking out David Doyle's book the Standard Catalog of US Military Vehicle (I believe that is the correct title...I don't have it in front of me). That book includes things about markings and paint. Your truck would have been semi-gloss with stars and hood numbers, I believe. In terms of safety, I know the MVPA does not deduct points during judging for any safety related items that were not standard back when the vehicle came into being. I know that most of the M35s had lap belts added after they were built. It should not be difficult to find a set. In terms of installing them, perhaps, someone on this list might have some pics. Or, you could take a look at someone else's truck that has the seat belts already installed. Good luck and have fun!

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Welcome to Steel Soldiers! :beer:

I've paid $25/30 on ebay for complete sets in used, but nice condition.

Easy to install. I believe the driver's side is different for spring ride and non spring ride seats.

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
A 1954 M35 would be painted FS595A 24087 or FS595A 24084 (same color, just different numbers. As Bruce so kindly mentioned, painting details are covered in my book (sold in the Classified portion of this website as well as at various bookstores).

You will find the gas engine much quieter than the Multifuel-powered trucks you are used to.

Best wishes,
David Doyle

panzerbob

thanks for the input, it gives me a place to start in the restoration project. I will post pics as soon as I get them transfered over from the camera

panzerbob

I didn't figure that there were any "correct" seatbelts for that early a vehical, but I would like to put the seatbelts for the A2's in it, better than breaking the windsheild with my head!