• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New M35A3 owner in Maine

Hello All, I wanted to introduce myself, I'm a new M35A3 owner in Maine. I purchased the truck from a private sale in Maine in September 2016, and came with M105 trailer, and an electric 16K winch already installed. Truck is I believe a 93 based on VIN. I have gone through all of the fluids and filters(still has 15w40 trans fluid), installed new MPT81s, replaced hand brake pads, installed new batteries, new LED headlights, installed a class V hitch, and put a aux. fuel tank in the bed. I've been lurking here for quite a while since I bought the truck learning what I can from all of you. Just wanted to say Hello and Thank You for what I have already learned! Jason.

Attachments

Thank you Guys, I really appreciate it. I'm sure you all know what its like owning something like this. I had to buy a new set of LARGER tools! Replacing the Michelin's to the Conti's was a bear!

pontiac62: Thank you! Whats your Pontiac? Bonneville?
cucvmule: You got it, its a GTO! I've had it since '88. 51K original miles. Before I purchased the A3 I finished a frame off on my 70 Judge. That was a 5 year project.
m38inmaine: Thats quite a collection you have there! Nice to hear from a fellow Maine'ah. Born and raised in Freeport, if you ever get down this way, shoot me a PM and look me up!

Katahdin

Welcome, nice looking A3! Has this deuce been to Autowerkes in Freeport per chance? I was working as a contractor at Beans and several of their employees told me to go look, but I never saw it.

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Jason,
Welcome from Kentucky. Nice truck, A3s are unique. Ouverson hubs and wheels look good w/ the CTIS deleted.

Welcome, nice looking A3! Has this deuce been to Autowerkes in Freeport per chance? I was working as a contractor at Beans and several of their employees told me to go look, but I never saw it.
Hello Katahdin! Nope, never been to autowerks. I have been over to NAPA thats just across from the Big Indian a few times. They have a show there in the summer every Wednesday eve. The guys with the hot rods and musclecars there didnt have any interest though. Its funny because I have a 30 Ford Tudor hotrod, and my two GTOs, after the lack of interest, I wouldn't even show them there! I bought the truck from a guy in Kittery who only had it a couple years and just drove it in parades and such.

Jason,
Welcome from Kentucky. Nice truck, A3s are unique. Ouverson hubs and wheels look good w/ the CTIS deleted.
Thank you Scar59! Good eyes, I forgot all about the Ouverson Lockout hubs I installed :) The CTIS was disabled/removed when I purchased. When I changed out the tires, I also put on the new turret vavle stems and got rid of the pipe that was there. The guy I purchased the truck from said it was like that when he got it. It was probably leaking and rather than repair, they removed. I'll probably leave it that way because I would have to get all the wheel assemblies /covers / balance weights, then try and diagnose when all together.

Hello Katahdin! Nope, never been to autowerks. I have been over to NAPA thats just across from the Big Indian a few times. They have a show there in the summer every Wednesday eve. The guys with the hot rods and musclecars there didnt have any interest though. Its funny because I have a 30 Ford Tudor hotrod, and my two GTOs, after the lack of interest, I wouldn't even show them there! I bought the truck from a guy in Kittery who only had it a couple years and just drove it in parades and such.
Forgot to Mention Katahdin, if you get back up to Freeport, Shoot me a note! The A3 is outside for the winter, but I keep her cleaned off when I'm around as best I can. I Do Not drive it in the winter, not getting any salt / calcium on this!

Last edited:

tobyS

Welcome and good luck with your A3. I have an A3 also, about to become a 4x4.

Were your tires checked that you took off?
Here is the problem with the A3...the tranny 4th and reverse clutch pack have a seal that wears out prematurely, lets it slip and then burn up the aluminum piston, sending friction fragments into the rest of the tranny. Motor oil is not good for this seal. I know you hate to hear this, but a preemptive rebuild, before the slipping starts is a good idea. The seals in today's kits have solved the problem of wear. How do I know??? Pictures of the rebuilt ready to go in.

I have a PTO that fits the tranny if you ever want to go that way. The flange mount works and does not interfere with the transfer case, where a shaft drive like the 939 series will not fit.

Have fun!

Attachments

Welcome and good luck with your A3. I have an A3 also, about to become a 4x4.

Were your tires checked that you took off?
Here is the problem with the A3...the tranny 4th and reverse clutch pack have a seal that wears out prematurely, lets it slip and then burn up the aluminum piston, sending friction fragments into the rest of the tranny. Motor oil is not good for this seal. I know you hate to hear this, but a preemptive rebuild, before the slipping starts is a good idea. The seals in today's kits have solved the problem of wear. How do I know??? Pictures of the rebuilt ready to go in.

I have a PTO that fits the tranny if you ever want to go that way. The flange mount works and does not interfere with the transfer case, where a shaft drive like the 939 series will not fit.

Have fun!
Thank you tobyS! The old michelin's tires were all cracked up on the sidewalls (all 7 of them). I was mainly concerned with the steer tires and going down the road, but thought it was a good idea to do all of them, AAA would probably have a heart attack if I called for help with a tire change :)

I have read some of the posts you were in on the Allison, I really appreciate the posts because it helped me out searching for answers. I was very concerned about the switch, It seemed like anyone changing from 15W40 to Dex III or trans synd was having reverse and 4th go, probably not related to go so quick...but it concerned me. What I would like to do is purchase a spare 545 in case mine takes a dump, but I think I would need more parts to adapt to the 545 to the 1545? I'm not sure what all is involved, but I'm interested in being ready. Do you do or can you steer me to transmission reputable work? PM me about the trans issues/swap/PTO when you get some time.

Awol

Thank you Guys, I really appreciate it. I'm sure you all know what its like owning something like this. I had to buy a new set of LARGER tools! Replacing the Michelin's to the Conti's was a bear!

cucvmule: You got it, its a GTO! I've had it since '88. 51K original miles. Before I purchased the A3 I finished a frame off on my 70 Judge. That was a 5 year project.
m38inmaine: Thats quite a collection you have there! Nice to hear from a fellow Maine'ah. Born and raised in Freeport, if you ever get down this way, shoot me a PM and look me up!
Nice truck, and beautiful GTO! I have a few Pontiacs myself.

tobyS

Thank you tobyS! The old michelin's tires were all cracked up on the sidewalls (all 7 of them). I was mainly concerned with the steer tires and going down the road, but thought it was a good idea to do all of them, AAA would probably have a heart attack if I called for help with a tire change :)

I have read some of the posts you were in on the Allison, I really appreciate the posts because it helped me out searching for answers. I was very concerned about the switch, It seemed like anyone changing from 15W40 to Dex III or trans synd was having reverse and 4th go, probably not related to go so quick...but it concerned me. What I would like to do is purchase a spare 545 in case mine takes a dump, but I think I would need more parts to adapt to the 545 to the 1545? I'm not sure what all is involved, but I'm interested in being ready. Do you do or can you steer me to transmission reputable work? PM me about the trans issues/swap/PTO when you get some time.

On the picture with the torque converter you can see an adaptor ring, that adapts to the SAE specification flywheel (not sure which one without researching). The 545 would need the same bolt pattern on it's face or one of the adaptors. Plenty of 545's are mated to the Cat 3116.

If the thing is working with what you have in it and you are not getting slippage in 4 or reverse, then stick with it. It's fruitless to make any change until a rebuild is necessary. Once you feel slip however, don't wait to ruin important parts if rebuilding the OEM is in the cards (or even selling key parts).

On the picture with the torque converter you can see an adaptor ring, that adapts to the SAE specification flywheel (not sure which one without researching). The 545 would need the same bolt pattern on it's face or one of the adaptors. Plenty of 545's are mated to the Cat 3116.

If the thing is working with what you have in it and you are not getting slippage in 4 or reverse, then stick with it. It's fruitless to make any change until a rebuild is necessary. Once you feel slip however, don't wait to ruin important parts if rebuilding the OEM is in the cards (or even selling key parts).
Got it, thank you tobyS!

tobyS

Good luck...

If I look up the SAE numbers I'll post them up. I'm kind of curious now and would like to know for 6 speed Allison 2500.

Good luck...

If I look up the SAE numbers I'll post them up. I'm kind of curious now and would like to know for 6 speed Allison 2500.
I believe the 3116 is SAE #2 and the AT1545 and AT545 are SAE #3. What I do not understand is what other adapters are needed for Lock-up to non lock-up converters, and why a lock up converter is needed on a military vehicle. I would think there's a parts list somewhere of the items needed to perform the swap.

Should I start a thread on this in the Deuce section?

pontiac62

Just caught up on thread. Mine was the lead sled 62 and 64 Catalina. The Gto was outta my price range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Man of few words

M1081 LVAD