• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New M37 Owners!

PJSM37

On Saturday my girlfriend and I picked up something a little different for both of us.

We should be getting it cleaned up and running within a couple weeks (hopefully!)

It came with a bed full of stuff- new doors, fenders, lots of patina :) It came with the winch, a trailer with a generator, pioneer kit with all tools.

It was redone "to taste" in OD green with some add ons - We are pretty sure it was a Air force blue truck originally.

Does anyone know why there is nothing printed on the ID panel?

The reg. says the vin as 800 and the years as a 63?!

http://uploader.meinwirt.com/files/78/M37%20Dodge/P10101200.jpg

http://uploader.meinwirt.com/files/78/M37 Dodge/P10101199.jpg

http://uploader.meinwirt.com/files/78/M37 Dodge/P10101188.jpg

http://uploader.meinwirt.com/files/78/M37 Dodge/P10101144.jpg

http://uploader.meinwirt.com/files/78/M37 Dodge/P10101111.jpg

Last edited:

Tanner

Congrats on the 'new' M37 & welcome to Steel Soldiers!

Looks like ID plate may have been replaced at some point & left unstamped - look for chassis numbers about 3/4" high on left frame rail in front of steering box; numbers will be on 'vertical' face of chassis rail, and will stretch out about 4"+ in length of the string of numbers - this is chassis/vehicle number. Numbers may have been painted over during the trucks' life, or may be gunked up with dirt / oil covering the numbers...

'Tanner'

CGarbee

Congratulations!!

The dataplates are reproduction (or later stock) replacements (one can tell from the screws used to attach them, ones from the factory had brass rivets...).
The VIN number assigned at the factory was stamped on both the dash dataplate and on the driver's frame rail right in front of the steering box. On the frame, the letters are about an inch tall and lightly stamped (more than likely, you will need to do some serious wire brushing to find them). Use of these numbers will allow for more accurate dating. Use what is on the registration paperwork for your title so that you can keep the paperwork easy...
If a '63, it will be a B1 model and should have (or have evidence) of a spare tire mount over the driver's door, a longer shift lever (but you have to know what an short one looks like to tell the difference), and a transmission fill plug on the passenger side.

I see that you have a winch and one of the early hard tops (converted from the 2.5 ton truck) that are both very desirable. :)

Some info on these trucks can be found at my website: www.garbee.net/~cabell
Some more info and discussion can be found at www.g741.org

You already know that you can get help, and support, here. [thumbzup]

PJSM37

Hi guys, thanks for the kind replies. It looks like it will have some rust. We are hoping the worst of it will be contained to removable parts.
We arent 100% sure what the deal is with all the electronics, pretty sure most were just added for the look. Interesting enough though, the truck does not have 3 seats, It appears that it has two singles and a storage bin. The bin, has all the winch info on it and it also looks like it has all the same layers of paint (with hints of strata blue under it) so we guess its original.

We have yet to really dig into it. We are waiting to close on our house in order to bring it home.

The truck we were told was owned by a man who was a military buff who took the truck to many local parades years ago. Its been sitting for about 10 years where you see it.

Nickathome

It looks like it will have some rust. We are hoping the worst of it will be contained to removable parts.

Interesting enough though, the truck does not have 3 seats, It appears that it has two singles and a storage bin. The bin, has all the winch info on it and it also looks like it has all the same layers of paint (with hints of strata blue under it) so we guess its original.
They all have a little rust. If stored outside, the cab will have some damage, especially the cab under the windshield. Mine was all eaten away in that area.

These trucks weren't supposed to have 3 seats in the cab. One driver's seat and one bench seat. There is room for storage under the driver's seat and a small amount of room next to the battery box. Any other "bins" were add ons and aren't original to my knowledge..

Last edited:

CGarbee

Somebody has been working on your truck... The dataplate that you show in the picture is not from a M37.... When you get a chance, take a photo from outside the door looking in that shows the seeting arrangement. It will be a lot easier to see what you have going on.

Nickathome

Unfortunately I can't view your picture from my work computer so I can't see the box you're talking about, but again it sounds like an add-on to me. I've never seen an M37 with a storage bin between the seats.

Mike_L

PJSM37,

Welcome to the forum. Looks like a nice spring project, after you get moved in to the new house, of course.

Don't forget to get over to the G741.org site and put your truck into the database once you get the correct frame number.

Yep, looks like you got quite a discovery process ahead to figure out what was added and what to keep.

Good luck and don't hesitate to ask questions.