• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New M38A1 Project

NE-Okla.shooter

Howdy!

Just took ownership of a M38A1, from my father. He used it on his place for a runabout field Jeep.

Initial plans are to restore it (hobby not show quality) with my 2 boys (ages 7&9). Thinking parade and cruising with some trips to the mountains vs. 100% authentic.

I've been cruising Kisser Wiley's and YouTube for inspiration. Will post pictures if I remember to take them.

C.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Very nice... I had a neighbor that lived behind my mom and dad's house out off Albemarle Road here in Charlotte. That kid was about 4 years younger than I was - and his dad and grandpa had a jeep similar to yours. I spent a lot of summers riding hundreds of acres of pasture and woods. We changed oil, we did a lot of small fixes and we even tried a paintbrush paint job. That turned out pretty crummy - but we did a lot of prep work - and our base made a decent primer. Kept us out of trouble for weeks :cool: Years of adventure as we grew up and went off to school...

Your boys are going to remember that for the rest of their lives...
Especially when you are hanging out in the right seat while they learn how to drive it little by little.

Congratulations!

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sweet Jeep! Random observations, you have a M38A1C recoilless rifle windshield on it, but no tailgate, so you do have a M38A1. Had radios as evidenced by the 4 square bolt pattern on the left rear quarter panel. Great wheels for boonie bashing. Good luck with it, doesn't look like it needs a ground up restoration since your dad took such good care of it.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Very light demand for the "C" windshield. I would be tempted to buy a repro bare frame and swap over the hinges, wipers, hardware etc. Have your local glass shop install a single piece safety glass rather than fool with the ancient two piece glass rubber and twin glass panes.

DeetFreek

Sweet Jeep! Random observations, you have a M38A1C recoilless rifle windshield on it, but no tailgate, so you do have a M38A1.
A little perplexed by your comment NDT, no tailgate would make a C. Now in my case, a tailgate was fabbed in by a PO, so it could stand to reason it was added later to keep random bits from falling out the rear lol.
20210815_123049.jpg

Either way, nice looking rig Shooter! Welcome aboard and have fun with it.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A little perplexed by your comment NDT, no tailgate would make a C. Now in my case, a tailgate was fabbed in by a PO, so it could stand to reason it was added later to keep random bits from falling out the rear lol.
View attachment 848722

Either way, nice looking rig Shooter! Welcome aboard and have fun with it.
OK what I meant was " A M38A1C would have had the rear panel cut out as if the Jeep had a tailgate, and your Jeep has the factory fixed rear panel"

DeetFreek

OK what I meant was " A M38A1C would have had the rear panel cut out as if the Jeep had a tailgate, and your Jeep has the factory fixed rear panel"
Alrighty, now we're cookin with gas! I smell what you're steppin in! I get what you're laying down! I can't think of anymore lol

I didn't want to assume, so that's why I commented.

Bill Nutting

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You have a lot to work with there Shooter. You and your boys are going to have a lot of good times working on and driving that 38. Welcome to the site… Please keep us posted on you journey.

NE-Okla.shooter

Had some time yesterday to pull it out and document some more. Looks like engine was rebuilt in '67 according to the plate.PXL_20211023_203449734.jpg
And I knew I was going to need replace fuel tank, but didn't remember the tub pan being in such terrible condition.PXL_20211023_204733864.jpg
Lastly the wiring is completely shot, more to follow.

NE-Okla.shooter

Didn't mention on my introductory post, but this will be my first resto project handled by myself. Assisted on a few as a kid and teenager (but that was 30+ years ago,).

Going to start the project documentation (binder) this week and start tallying up the systems and pieces to be addressed. Any guidance or thoughts for helping would be awesome.

Appreciate the support, wish us luck!

C.

NE-Okla.shooter

I got this pan almost finished up today! View attachment 848821This was what I started with a week-ish ago.View attachment 848822
How bad off is your tank?
Don't know yet, thinking I may try electrolysis to remove the rust and see. I have a ultrasonic thickness gage that I can measure the through thickness from the outside. But am also contemplating an aftermarket fuel cell and building my own custom support in the pan area.

Rainman 31U50

Hey Shooter, I started my '53 M38A1 about the same time as you, just found this forum the other day. I'm in central Oklahoma. I've removed ...well everything and am in the process of refurbing what I can. Good luck on your project.

NE-Okla.shooter

Hey Shooter, I started my '53 M38A1 about the same time as you, just found this forum the other day. I'm in central Oklahoma. I've removed ...well everything and am in the process of refurbing what I can. Good luck on your project.
Good to know there is at least one other in the area. I'm working on mine in NW Oklahoma ( BIL is letting me use his equipment barn).

Had a job opportunity open up a couple months back and have put the build on hold through the Spring. Will be back at it this Summer though.

Wish you well on your build!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks