• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New M422A1 owner

Just bought myself a Mite Bound to need some word of wisdom from the group here

Attachments

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mites, unfortunately, do not have the USMC 6-digit serial number stamped on the data plate, only the 4-digit manufacturers number.
Most M422A1s hood numbers were 30xxxx, the last four do not correspond to the manufacturers serial number.

If you want the original number, careful sanding down through the hood paint to see if there are remnants may be your only option.
If that fails, here are some originals to consider. The one indoors is in the museum on Camp Pendleton.

I've read several places that the Marines didn't use windshields or canvas tops in Vietnam, however photographs prove this to not be true, they were operated both with and without.

Cheers

M422A1 USMC Museum.jpg M422 Vietnam.jpg Vietnam 2.jpg Vietnam 3.jpg Vietnam 1.jpg

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's it!

The markings on the sides of the hood/bonnet and tailgate are 3" tall.
If you are going to put a spare tyre on the back, the markings move down to the bumper/fender, and are done in 2" letters and numerals.

I'll be working on mine again today (just got the engine power egg reinstalled after a clutch change), I'll take a picture of the back markings.

Cheers

That's it!

The markings on the sides of the hood/bonnet and tailgate are 3" tall.
If you are going to put a spare tyre on the back, the markings move down to the bumper/fender, and are done in 2" letters and numerals.

I'll be working on mine again today (just got the engine power egg reinstalled after a clutch change), I'll take a picture of the back markings.

Cheers
Thanks
Tony

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here is the back of mine.

I am about to swap out the small tail-lights lenses for the larger Gama Goat style ones, not completely original but much safer on the road.

Cheers

20230314_172028.jpg

Last edited:
Here is the back of mine.

I am about to swap out the small tail-lights lenses for the larger Gama Goat style ones, not completely original but much safer on the road.

Cheers

View attachment 893177
Not sure if I'm going for the spare tyre on the back or the Jerry can(it has the holes for it (did they fit can holders to the back or is it after market?) and I have an Alloy USMC fuel can that came with the mite! Seats are the big thing I would like to find as the one's in it are awful.
You never see them at shows in the UK and I think there are less than 6 here so be nice to get it right!

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
They didn't put jerry cans on the back as a general rule, but there may have been exceptions. I've not seen photos of any.
That said, it is your vehicle, do what makes you happy and don't worry about anyone else. If the holes are already there.... ;)

Original seats are apparently very difficult to find. You can see by the canvas backs on mine that they are not original (originals have metal backs with a diagonal rib).

I've been told that world wide there are only about 100 complete Mites, unknown how true that is.

Cheers

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
While rooting through my Mighty Mite image file, I found this one showing Mites in Vietnam.
It's not very clear, but does show how the markings were applied on the tail gate when the spare wasn't mounted there.
I can't make out the emblem between the USMC and the vehicle number, but it looks like it could be an FMF-PAC (Fleet Marine Force-Pacific) shield.

Cheers

Vietnam c.jpg

While rooting through my Mighty Mite image file, I found this one showing Mites in Vietnam.
It's not very clear, but does show how the markings were applied on the tail gate when the spare wasn't mounted there.
I can't make out the emblem between the USMC and the vehicle number, but it looks like it could be an FMF-PAC (Fleet Marine Force-Pacific) shield.

Cheers

View attachment 893362
Thanks for Adding Rory I want to add a red marking of some sort especially to the front to break up the slab look to the front.

KallyLC

Is this the one that was up on EBay for ages? I kept seeing it myself and thinking it was a neat bit of kit, just a bit rare and unusual so seemed like it'd be a nightmare to find parts for.

For your sake, I hope i'm wrong. Would certainly be something different to see at some future vehicle shows.

Y
Is this the one that was up on EBay for ages? I kept seeing it myself and thinking it was a neat bit of kit, just a bit rare and unusual so seemed like it'd be a nightmare to find parts for.

For your sake, I hope i'm wrong. Would certainly be something different to see at some future vehicle shows.
Yep thats one of them there is another on there that has a kubota diesel fitted! Bits do seem to be scarce but aren't most military bits these days! Land rover wolf bits are getting hard to find now which is scary. Hoping to have it at least running and driving for Capel if not Tanks and Trucks

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks