• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New M817 Owner

Neophyte

Steel Soldiers Supporter
**** is this truck cool!! We'll use it for many utilitarian needs, but having considered a Kodiak or an L8000, is there any other way to go?

I have a gazillian questions after reading the manual, but a few things I have no idea on:

1. The oil and air pressure gauge are exactly the same......is this correct (i.e. shouldn't the oil gauge have a lower limit for it runs at lower psi).

2. At full air pressure, I'm reading 90 psi. For highway trucks (semi's) the normal range is 100 to 125 psi. Is the system regulator set to low?

3. I couldn't find an alcohol tank.....is this only on the "winterized" 809 series?

4. The useful load states 10,000 Lbs in the manual........though this truck looks like it could easily handle more? Safe range on this? A "non heaped" bed load of gravel is 15,000 Lbs......would I be over doing it?

5. The tires I bought it with are the 16R20 XZL's........any known issues with higher CG (vs. obvious)...?

Thank you gentlemen

Attachments

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Welcome

1-----according to the 211-20p, the gages ARE different

2-----my 819 run almost 120

4-----that is a off road load, 20,000 highway

5-----those 1600s will REALLY cut your power with a heavy load, 1100s/1200s would work best for HEAVY loads

Last edited:

Danger Ranger

Looks good, glad you read the manual, and glad you posted a pic right off. Thats a good start. Now we need more pics...lol. Enjoy, it looks good.:popcorn:

dozer1

Welcome to the site and enjoy the truck! What kind of wheels are on it? hemtt or combat wheels? I got a m817 too, but haven't used it yet. It's a loooong story, but this is your story. Do you plan on using it around a farm or commercial use? It's all a matter of personal opinion, but I think the M817 is the coolest lookin 809 series truck. Albiet not a very big dump box on them and just the weight of the truck alone makes it kinda expensive to licence, still they have some utility use. That is what sold me on getting one of them. By the time I get mine going, I will wind up having a gazillion questions for you..[thumbzup]:beer: here is a thread of what I did last winter http://www.steelsoldiers.com/5-ton-up/65019-m817-dump-truck-project-begins.html this winter has been much less impressive..

Neophyte

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I actually read your entire post before buying and came to the conclusion I need to buy "fully refurbished" for my "1st one". I'm sure I'm like alot in here (type A, always got a project going, never enough time).....and what your doing is amazing!! If I had the time and patience (i.e. sit still for more than 30 minutes), I would love to do a body off restoration on a MV.

I have hot rods (Mustang, Chevy II) I've done this with......but with young child now/activities....I'm out of time. So, I told myself (owning a 2nd home/farm) I need a dump truck to use around the farm for many basics......mainly doing grunt work to clear my head weekly (i.e. the justifications we go through for all of our "wants" vs. needs)......and bought the M817 ready to go.

The cool factor on this vs. a more practical F800/L8000 or the like was to much to pass up. My chevyII puts out 700hp at the wheels.....and that is something to see. But a Military Dump truck with 53" tires, 8.3L engine......c'mon......what guy didn't play with dump truck's as a kid (and wishes they could find a way to convince there wives they need one of these now).

I know in here I'm absolutely safe.....for any member has exactly the same look in their eyes when it comes to MV's.....with the "I wonder if a 20 Ton winch will fit on the front" look.

I used to fly Radio Control aircraft (the big stuff).....and after crashing a C-130 with a 12 foot wingspan (and about $15,000 into it)......I moved on to things I could insure......and were on the ground.

Glad I found this sight......and hope to contribute.