• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New M880 Owner needs suspension advise

BlackPanther

Hi I'm new to this site but I've had my M880 a couple of years now. Last year I replaced the front leaf springs and the new springs, like the old ones let the truck ride on its front bump stops. Is this right because I cant figure it out and the handling isn't that great. Sorry if this is a dumb question, but apart from lifting it I'm not sure how the stndard truck should look, we dont have many of them round here. Thanks. JB

BlackPanther

Hi Bob, Cheers I'll have to try and find those couple of inches, but as the springs are new I'm hoping I wont need an extra leaf yet.

Hi Blazerboy, thanks for the welcome! Yes I hope I can find out why my truck sits on the stops and as it was made over there I figured someone might know what it can be. I've only ever seen one other M880 at a car show, they seem to be rare in the UK.

BlackPanther

One thing you guys may be able to help with, are your front leaf springs Happy or Unhappy? I mean do they have a "U" shape or a "n" shape under the weight of the M880? My brand new springs are fitted and already bending upwards, so it looks like they are worn out, this is why they are touching the bump stops. I thought about fitting longer shackles to move the spring off of the bump stop, but the spring would still be bending "the wrong way". I hope to see another M880 this weekend at the American car show at Northampton, and will check what their springs are looking like.

zout

Something also to keep in mind while you look at the stop pads. This also sets up driveline angles correctly for the axle and chassis to be at the correct heights. There is a set height for this - but for this particular unit I am not sure of the correct distance - but somewhere around to where you can make a fist and put it between the pad an spring. Air bag suspension also has a specific height it must be to set up the proper driveline angles.

If these are not correct as far as angles you can be prematurely wearing out u joints - seals - and worse case senario you differentials themself.

There must be a TM that should give you the proper distance for this setting.

I was not much help.

BlackPanther

Thank you for that reply though, you are of course making a very good point which I'll have to think about if I end up "Bodging" up a fix for it. You can imagine how nasty it drives sitting on the front stop like it does, but will have to be careful how much I change the gap.
Thank you for that reply.

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok
1st pic my M884 plow / work truck
these springs were bad and had minimal clearance from the bump stop from years of plowing, so I added an "add a leaf" from JCWhitney to support the extra weight. the extra leaf is the 2nd from top.

2nd pic my M882 parts truck
original wore out springs, less weight of steering box, battery & front bumper.

unable to get pic of the M880 with 36" humvee tires, it has the extra leaf on springs that were decent to begin with.
Unless you put lift springs on, the fronts are fairly straight not a "u" or "n" shapes

Attachments

Last edited:

BlackPanther

Thank you for the pictures Bob, they do help alot. I replaced my complete springs so was expecting a "new" look to the suspension. I can see that straight is the way it should look. I will compare your pics with my suspension and see if I can find any differences.
Hi Lacoda56, I will have to find some adjustment to get the springs clear of the bump stop and a couple of inches sounds like the desired amount.
Cheers.

busbart

I realise that this is an very old post, but since this is a problem where many a M-880 owner runs into, i'd like to share my 2 cents...

To me it seems that there is nowhere nothing written about the spec's for these springs.
but spring basics says that to work at it's optimum, the spring shackles has to have a "certain" angle.
that angle determines the amount of travel upwards and downwards.
and if you then have a look at the situation at our Dodge's front springs, you see that the position, which I think that the springs had when they left the factory, is slightly "U" shaped instead of flat or "n" shaped.
I also take into account that the Engeneers at Chrysler have thought at a little driver and passenger confort, so the springs were intentionally made a little "weak" so to not rattle out the GI's false teeth..., and Time did the rest... because with that heavy cast iron engine leaning on it for more then 25 years, you'll see the results!
Almost any Dodge (sure the M-880 series) that i have seen has it's front spring leaves in the flat or "n" position.
I also like to mention, have a look at the spring shackles when your springs are in the above mentioned positions, they just don't have much "travel" left in this position, can you imagine how it can be with a pair of proper spring packs installed?
I'm sure it will benefit the steering and handling!

well, i hope this helps?