• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New M923A2 Owner

acme66

On the soft top, you might try a canvas or awning shop near by. Mine was separating from the plastic, rotten stitching. Brought it to them and $20 later we are back in business. It was a straight seam so they just ran it *brrrrrrrrap* one shot and done with the largest, most frightening sewing machine I had ever seen. Even helped put it back on because the truck was 'cool'.

On your numbers issue... it is *possible* that I once witnessed a dash-plate serial number modification because the DMV didn't like the number already there. It is also *possible* that this idea came from the nice DMV lady who *might* have said "are you there are not two zeros in front of that? There should be two zeros there, you NEED to go back and find those two zeros. Understand?" She was right, we found them. DMV rules and the helpfulness of their workers vary by state so take that as it may. I would have no problems adding a manufacture date of whatever benefits you the most. I go through a fair number of inspections operating mine commercially and never once have I been asked to prove the age of the truck, nor can I think of a reason to. I operate in the Wild West out here so I have no idea of the realities beyond my own.

Ken

todds112

Thanks Ken, we are in a really small town here and our local title office is pretty laid back. I know if I just told the gal, it's a 1990 and explained why she would accept that. I'm worried after they send it on to Boise, that's were the issue would be.

GP's title department is still working on it. They are supposed to call me first thing Monday morning with some type of resolution. I think it's surmountable, hope so anyway.

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Heck, if they let me go preview it, I guarantee it would have a 1990 stamped right there on the data plate.:roll:

I'm sure by the serial number, someone, somewhere could verify what it is. I called my local title office and they were iffy on it. They referred me to the state. The state was equally iffy and said I would have to contact my local motor vehicle inspector. Then it "might" qualify for a "limited" title or a title with no manufacturer on it like a custom built project car or something. I'm sure any of those would do wonders for the re-sale value if I decided to part with it.

I thought all of the A2's were either '90 or '91. I don't see the big deal. Maybe the inspector wouldn't either. Just don't know if it's worth the hassle.
I've got a 92 A2. You only have ten days to remove it, the SF97 isn't going to get to you in 10 days anyway. I've gotten SF97's months out from when I pulled the trucks home. Just have your GL invoice/bill of sale and insurance. I drove and have had another driver drive them home without registration, except for the wrecker I had towed, couldn't get the time off to retrieve it. Less than 200 miles? It's a breeze. I'm kind of confused, the form for the SF-97 lets you put in all the info including year, did that change?

Last edited:

todds112

I've got a 92 A2. You only have ten days to remove it, the SF97 isn't going to get to you in 10 days anyway. I've gotten SF97's months out from when I pulled the trucks home. Just have your GL invoice/bill of sale and insurance. I drove and have had another driver drive them home without registration, except for the wrecker I had towed, couldn't get the time off to retrieve it. Less than 200 miles? It's a breeze. I'm kind of confused, the form for the SF-97 lets you put in all the info including year, did that change?
Don't know, this is my first auction buy. They just said they couldn't issue a SF-97 without a model year??:shrugs: I'm going to go for it regardless. Truck just looks too nice to let it get away. Maybe since they're still new at this they are just over thinking it. I was more worried about down the road after the recovery.

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't know, this is my first auction buy. They just said they couldn't issue a SF-97 without a model year??:shrugs: I'm going to go for it regardless. Truck just looks too nice to let it get away. Maybe since they're still new at this they are just over thinking it. I was more worried about down the road after the recovery.
https://www.govliquidation.com/account/main?cmd=reqSF97 Go into your account, go into forms top of the page has request SF97. Fill out the form and put your year in. Frankly I'd wait until you have the vehicle and done as much research as you can. There is no hurry in requesting the SF97. The only hurry you need to worry about is getting the vehicle off base. Like I said, I've had vehicles sitting in my yard for months before requesting the SF-97. I've even screwed up the info on SF97 requests and had to send back the sf97 and get a new one(another $60). You really don't have any choice, you can't just cancel the sale regardless, you'll pay a big penalty.

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Unless the rules have changed, you Cannot request the SF97 until the truck has been removed. The folks at GL have no idea what to put on the 97 until you tell them. Go get it, take care of the papers after you get home. It will be FINE, just stop overthinking the whole process. The year of manufacture ultimately comes from YOU to GL, that's just the way it is. Now go get it and stop worrying. If you need a year for your insurance, its a 1990. There now you know.

Plane Fast

He said he bought it from GP not GL. Different animal!

P.s. I bought from both GL and GP. (Over $30,000) With zero issues! Knock on wood! Great bunch on both sides. I will say there will be a learning curve with GP and rolling stock.

Last edited:

todds112

Yeah, it's GovPlanet. They have been very nice so far and are trying to work something out. Here's how mine went:

You get the email you won the item, it directs you via link to their site. You click on the checkout process and it takes you to different steps. One of the steps is asking if you want an SF97 or title (if applicable). Then it generates your final invoice with the total and directions for submitting payment. I never got the "ask for SF97" choice. That's when I called them and was told they couldn't issue one on my item. I told them that I thought it was kind of crappy it didn't clearly say that on the auction listing and I wouldn't have bid on it had it done so. The rep agreed with me. He has been working with their titling department to work it out. I have 3 business days to wire the funds. Monday is the last day. I expressed I may not send the funds and would challenge them on any "penalty" due to the misleading listing. Supposed to get a call Monday from them to see what they've come up with.

For others, if you look at their listings, you see something like, "1991 BMY M923a2 5-Ton Cargo Truck" there are some they will say, "BMY 923a2 5-Ton Cargo Truck". That's it, that's your tip they don't have a model year for that one. I told the rep it should clearly say in the listing that no SF97 will be issued. He did agree with me on that. There are a few that say, "5-Ton Cargo Truck". Those clearly say in the listing they are unknown manufacturer and will only get a bill of sale. I expect a lot of these issues will be worked out as GP moves forward.

todds112

The saga continues...

I went to the bank and transferred the funds to GP. Trying to keep within the 3 working days. I had faith it was not as complicated as it appeared and GP would sort it out.

I spoke to a not-so-nice Vehicle Inspector in Idaho about the situation. She assured me she's been doing this for many years and every vehicle made in the US has a 17 digit VIN#, even military ones. If there's not, then this vehicle just can't be registered for road use. I told her I knew of many of them that were titled and registered and just changed the subject to the SF97.

I was told there was basically NO WAY I could register the truck in Idaho without a SF97. She did say there was no reason (in her opinion) they couldn't issue a SF97 without the model year. We could confirm the model year later...with the 17 digit VIN that HAS to be on the truck. Ugh.

Now I'm getting worried...again. I called GP back, they did not call me like they said they would. Rep said again, they were told, "No model year...No SF97". He said they are still waiting on titling department's resolution.

I'm almost into panic mode now. I call the bank back to see if the funds have gone through. Bank says they can try to recall the funds. I tell them to go ahead and try. About an hour later I get the payment confirmation from GP.

This evening I call GP again seeing what the status is. Apparently they have been dealing with this issue all day from alot of unhappy people in the same boat as me. I told them I recalled the funds as I am not sure at this point they are going to be able to resolve the issue. The rep assured me they want to solve it and are working hard to do so. They don't want to give anyone the run around and want me to be able to get the truck and title it.

So now, here I sit, eating Tums like Life Savers. Why did I have to be among the first to test the waters? Will the bank be able to get the funds back? Will GP really solve the issue? Will I send them the funds back...if the bank does get it back? Will I die from a bleeding ulcer before the situation is resolved??

This much I know: I should not have sent the money until they were absolutely sure and guarenteed me (in writting) I would receive a SF97.

:lost:

Amer-team

Go for the truck. From the photos, you got a pretty nice one. There will be a way to get it titled. Your state doesn't title older vehicles with a bill of sale? I bought an M54 from the city and they had not gotten a title from the government, so they wanted to void the sale, but I took the truck anyway. They gave me a bill of sale. The state issued me a registration and had to wait 3 years for title, but it isn't driven that much and it is fun anyway. It is properly licensed and insured and used for parades and historical presentations. Have never had law enforcement look at it twice, except to admire.

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your idaho inspector doesn't know what she's talking about as far as 17 digit vins on military vehicles.
Well that clinches it for me, I won't be bidding on GP.

Last edited:

mcmullag

She is incorrect about the VIN/serial number on military vehicles. I deal with a large DMV office here and only one or two workers out of the 15 there know how to force an ex military vehicle registration through the state computer system. Best of luck to you. I am on my 4th 6x6 cargo truck and I register them as a recreational vehicle and advise them I just use them for parades, which is true.

Plane Fast

I would not stress about it. One you have them admitting the listing was vague about titling. The money back guarantee may be the avenue to get your money. I would say give them a chance to get it resolved. The whole point was to get you a truck you can enjoy. :smile:

If you live close to the truck. You may be able to help them find the date. You will need a 9 and a zero steel punch. You know, to scrap the paint off!;-)

Last edited:

FloridaAKM

If this was a civi truck, there would be a problem with the VIN; being a military truck, you have to wade thru the system until you find that golden person who is enlightened enough to get you your SF97 & your title. I had a problem with a truck I got that had the VIN plate demilled by uncle sugar. Listening to the guys here with their large amount of experiance & knowledge, I was able to get it all together & get a title for my truck. Once you get thru this roller coaster ride & get yout truck home, it will all be worth it. Do get your truck home or all is for naught!
I would not stress about it. One you have them admitting the listing was vague about titling. The money back guarantee my be avenue to get your money. I would say give them a chance to get it resolved. The whole point was to get you a truck you can enjoy. :smile:

If you live close to the truck. You my be able help them find the date. You will need a 9 and a zero steel punch. You know to scrap the paint off!

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I spoke to a not-so-nice Vehicle Inspector in Idaho about the situation. She assured me she's been doing this for many years and every vehicle made in the US has a 17 digit VIN#, even military ones. If there's not, then this vehicle just can't be registered for road use. I told her I knew of many of them that were titled and registered and just changed the subject to the SF97.
So what does she do with all the vehicles that where made prior to 1982 when the 17 digit VIN went into effect? Most of them had anywhere from 7 to 13 digits.

She must be spending too much time in Colorado buying that wacky weed. ;-)

todds112

Your idaho inspector doesn't know what she's talking about as far as 17 digit vins on military vehicles.
Well that clinches it for me, I won't be bidding on GP.
Yeah, I knew it was going to go downhill after that. She sounded like one of the stereotypical bureau-bots. No inflection in voice, no hint of wanting to help, just straight recitation of policy. I'm sure it's a tough job and you deal with a bunch of angry people, but at least "act" like you care.

I hope GP pulls it together. I will say the customer service rep I've been talking to is very nice and seems to be trying. We did talk about military vehicle collectors in general and I explained there would be either many repeat customers if they are able to get their stuff together, or they would stay away in droves. He agreed and reiterated they want to be successful and reliable. Hope he's not just talking a good game. We'll see I guess.

todds112

Update: Talked to GP again today. They are having a meeting tonight or tomorrow to discuss this issue. It looks promising in the rep's opinion. They have been "schooled" on how GL did the SF97's and may be going with something similar. Sounds like they have been getting a lot of "guidance" from experienced GL buyers on what they should be doing. Any fellow Steel Soldiers giving them an ear full?

At this point I'm letting myself see a flicker of light at the end of the tunnel.