• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New M931A2 to add to the Steel Soldiers Fleet

Scarecrow1

Nice purchase I can only hope you have as much fun with yours as I have my 923A1. You may find you don't even have go anywhere they are fun just to work on or just play with. I blame it on my mom for giving me Tonka trucks as a kid . :)

Tornadogt

Ok where to begin, we left new years day for Fort, Bliss El Paso from San Antonio in the rain with more bad weather in the forecast. Arrived in El Paso at 8:30pm got a hotel room just outside the base and settled in for a long night. We really picked a winner for a hotel room, the room was nice enough (motel 6) but the woman in the room above us apparently just caught her husband/boyfriend cheating on her and making sure everyone else within screaming distance know how much of a ________ he was until 2:00am in the morning. I didn't care much I was to excited to sleep anyways. Spent most of the night looking over the TM's and reading forms on Steel Sodiers. We woke the next morning to 30 deg. temperatures but at least it was dry. We couldn't pick-up until 9AM, after driving around the base for about an hour we figured out the GL lot was moved to the other side of the base. With a quick phone call and proper directions we were in the lot staring at the massive truck we just bought. Next we open the hood and start going over my check list, small water leak (loose hose clamp) everything was looking good until we got to the fuel tanks, empty........... We did bring fuel jugs but didn't fill them....so back on the road not to far just down the road but more time ticking off the clock, we know it's going to be a long drive back and it is looking like some of it will be in the dark.. after putting 10 gallons of diesel in and the GL guy (very nice and helpful) brought a Humvee and slave cable to give our battery a boost. Step by step getting all the air out of the system took almost 2 hours. BUT once it fired and worked the last bits of air our sounded great.. quick check of the air brakes and transmission and all looks good..Loaded up the tools. Right turn signal wasn't working but I took a chance and said lets roll......Just getting back to the hwy was amazing all the looks from the little people down on the ground was great. A quick fuel stop ($245.00) and on the road we go... first 50 miles or so were pretty ruff.. but as the tires and everything got warmed up it smooth out a bit. With 80mph speed limits and a truck doing 63 mph at 2100 it is a long trip from El Paso. We had the storm behind us the entire way, roads in front of us were dry and clear.....perfect timing made it back at about 1:30 am ( a few bathroom/food breaks on the way) Never shut the truck down 11 hours on the hour meter when I pulled in. Looked it over when we got home (noise coming from the motor) nothing major sounds like an exhaust manifold leak (looked at it today seems some compressions is coming out from around an injector) no problem easy fix. also seems to have a small leak from the right steering knuckle and front pinion seal nothing I can't handle. All in all I am very happy with the truck and the experience... can't wait to starting working on it ..... thanks again everyone for the help.. photos attached,I hope they stay in order.
IMG_0207.jpgIMG_0217.jpgIMG_0220.jpgIMG_0224.jpgIMG_0227.jpgIMG_0234.jpgIMG_0235.jpgIMG_0242.jpgoverspeed.jpgxHomeInspection.jpg

Last edited:

Tornadogt

looking over the mileage it looks like I got right at 10 mph at 2100 rpms and 63mph pretty steady, there were hills and some steep up and down grades along the way...

agazza2

looking over the mileage it looks like I got right at 10 mph at 2100 rpms and 63mph pretty steady, there were hills and some steep up and down grades along the way...
Great to see you made it back ok. Seems like they would have had some fuel in it since they said in the GL Ad " Starts with jump. My 931A2 seems to also have a slight noise, sound like the air-pump coming on then going off. Need to get a tube and listen as it sounds like it is coming from around the injector area too. I remember 471 miles to "San Antonio sign" very well " thinking about how many more miles I had to go across this long section of Texas with not very many places to stop along the way. Yours maxed speed is the same as what mine will do (63mph and 2100rpms). At that point you just wait hoping it will shift once more to give you a few more mph :)

Would like to see you write up your diesel line bleeding procedure for others to follow if they need to when picking up there vehicle. One day I would like to come and take a look at your M931A2 since we are close. Are you going to bring it to any of the car shows in San Antonio?

Scarecrow1

Well it seems like the woman above you in the motel really gets around . She may have been in New Castle Delaware around Thanksgiving . Her yelling and cussing gave her away but this time at least she was in a room and not the parking lot. Great truck I almost bought a tractor too but, I knew with my health I would never be able to covert it with a bed and such. Glad the trip was long and not problematic with engine or body failure Send some more pics on your project you know how we all love pics

Tornadogt

Its funny the things you notice once you get one of these trucks.. just a few miles a way there is a large truck salvage yard. You can see it from the hwy, I never payed much attention to it until this weekend where I saw what looked like a whole row of Military trucks. I will be stopping in there today maybe I can get my hands on a Bed..Hard Top, and anything else I might just have to have......... if it is a good source of parts I will post the contact information here ....

highfavor1004

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not to hijack the thread, but M931A2 does it still have the spragg transfer case? how do they handle in the mudd or off road compared to the M818?