• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Manufactured Power Steering Brackets

AlphaChicken

Notice: I received approval from Admin Warthog to make this post.

I'm back in the CUCV game after selling off a problem M1009 6 years back, and I noticed that I was missing part of the bracketry for the power steering pump on my newly purchased M1009. I then noticed that finding the big bracket and the small bracket was like hunting unicorns.

Anyway. So I've got a Chinese manufacturing contact that I use for my side business and their facility is capable of making new copy brackets. I'm trying to figure out if it would be worth while for myself and the CUCV community if I had them make a run of say 100 Power Steering brackets, maybe more depending on the level of interest from the community. I want to ask because I'd have to front the money for a new bracket for them to copy, the money for the custom tooling, and the money for each part. These will be plasma cut CNC bent/shaped parts. And much more reasonably priced than any rare oem parts out there. The best I could find for a new big bracket was $200 out of Germany when I can get them made and sell for less than half of that for a new copy bracket. Say $75. That's for a brand new bracket, not a rusty junkyard takeoff.

How many folks here would buy a bracket because at some point they will break on all of us.

AlphaChicken

Steel is Steel, and CNC is CNC. If made in the states it would cost 5 times as much. Believe me, I tried having parts made in the US and every CNC shop I contacted wanted 5 times the price that I could get from my manufacturer in China. You must not own a cell phone, seeing as they are all made in china. And how are you posting to this board cause I know your computer wasn't made stateside.

cucvrus

I have Chinese parts on every new Chevrolet truck I bought since the mid 90's. Made in China, Mexico and Australia. It matters not to me. I agree if the shoe fits wear it. Many good shoes are made in China. My Son joined the Marines in 2006 when he came home from Parris Island he had bags and uniform covers that were issued to him and were made in China. They were in Marpat camouflage. All made in China. They still hold clothing and still work. The back pack was made in China also. I still use it very hard. I have Chinese diesel engines on equipment also. I agree. They will work. I also agree that not all PS brackets will fail. Most failures are a result of incorrect belt adjustment and failure to tighten and loosen the bracket correctly. Many are missing the lower bracket on the pump. Still a hot item. Have them make the lower off set bracket also. I had starter support brackets made up. They can be cut to be used on the 28MT starter also. The 28 MT bracket is still available from GM. Good Luck.

AlphaChicken

Exactly. I had to search for hours just the other day to find the offset bracket. I could have those made up for a pittance. I tried to find the big bracket and I called a guy on Craigslist in PA who was parting out a CUCV and he wanted $250 for the bracket because he said they break often. That's the same sentiment over at Colorado K5 and Pirate 4x4. Pages of people talking about how to weld them back together.

cucvrus

I actually do weld them back together and make them stronger. But I only do it because I like fixing things that pothers toss to the side. I find more of a challenge making bad discarded things useful then I do buying new things. I am putting a set of paint cabinets together out of 2 large discarded under body tool boxes. They were brand new dented in transit and scrapped by the carrier. I used body shop hammer and dolly and fixed them. They will last 2 lifetimes in the role I repurpose them in. the bracket is and easy 2 hour fix with a welder and a small grinder. I found a new GM one yesterday while cleaning up my shop. They are double think at the pivot point slots when I finish and have a gusset at the center pivot mount. A flat washer placed behind the pivot stud also helps make them hold up better. Good Luck. Get the welder out and save a bundle.

AlphaChicken

I dig the DIY attitude. I do the same thing, but I don't have a welder (yet) so that's not something I could do. Also, since we'd be making the calls, with the help of the community at large we could modify the bracket design and make it much more durable.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If it worked as designed for 30 + years , why modify it at all?

Just reweld it and be happy for another 30 years.

cucvrus

Fixing a repairing is not modifying. It is fixing and repairing. I could weld up a bracket that would eliminate the OEM bracket completely. I have NOT had to build a complete bracket. And yes it lasted 30 years same as the entire CUCV system now that you want to talk time and reliability. I have the fortune of spare parts in my favor. And I manage the parts and decide what is scrap and what needs replaced or repaired on a per issue case by case basis. Nothing technical about a metal bracket. I would have designed the brackets with better adjustment attachments. The bolt and nut type are hard to access in this application. They work but most people misuse tools on a daily basis on CUCV's. I have yet to see one that other people bring me to fix that has every part/bracket in place and tight. I hope to not be stuck with a CUCV is 30 years. I doubt I will care about CUCV's. Let's hope not. You have a non valid point. I am saying fix the bracket if the need arises. Toss the bracket and replace it if you do not have the ability/inclination or equipment to repair it. I like to repair things. Not throw money and upgrades at something that still has usable life in it. I rebuilt many things that others simply toss aside. My point is if I have to explain that not sure where the problem lies. Also I seen some peoples welding so I know why replacing is the only option. Have a great day

Last edited by a moderator:

MarcusOReallyus

Steel is Steel, and CNC is CNC.
Eh, no. Steel is an alloy, and there are an infinite number of possible ways to make it. Some mixtures hold up, some don't.

Care to guess which end of that spectrum is cheaper to make and machine?

And CNC can be done right, and it can be done wrong, and there is a continuum in between those.

AlphaChicken

First. DUH.

Shall we discuss the finer points of steel selection in AR bolt carriers? I lean toward 9310 Steel as opposed to the milspec Carpenter 158. But I suppose we'd also have to delve into hardening methods to be thorough.

Second. My manufacturer runs 5 axis mills and the parts I have made are to the 10,000th of an inch. I've never had them stamp a part for me, but everything else has been spot on and I'm sure we could have worked out the particulars.

Last time I try to do something nice for people on the internet. Hope your bracket lasts a lifetime.

ridenby

Notice: I received approval from Admin Warthog to make this post.

I'm back in the CUCV game after selling off a problem M1009 6 years back, and I noticed that I was missing part of the bracketry for the power steering pump on my newly purchased M1009. I then noticed that finding the big bracket and the small bracket was like hunting unicorns.

Anyway. So I've got a Chinese manufacturing contact that I use for my side business and their facility is capable of making new copy brackets. I'm trying to figure out if it would be worth while for myself and the CUCV community if I had them make a run of say 100 Power Steering brackets, maybe more depending on the level of interest from the community. I want to ask because I'd have to front the money for a new bracket for them to copy, the money for the custom tooling, and the money for each part. These will be plasma cut CNC bent/shaped parts. And much more reasonably priced than any rare oem parts out there. The best I could find for a new big bracket was $200 out of Germany when I can get them made and sell for less than half of that for a new copy bracket. Say $75. That's for a brand new bracket, not a rusty junkyard takeoff.

How many folks here would buy a bracket because at some point they will break on all of us.
Hope you aren't thin skinned. If you make these I will take two. Thank you.
H

MarcusOReallyus

First. DUH.
:shrugs: You're the one who said, "Steel is steel." It's not, and apparently you know that. But there are tons of people out there who don't know any better than that. When you say things like that, how are your readers supposed to know that you are not one of those ignoramuses? Any why would you say such a thing when you know it's not true?

If you've already done business with this particular manufacturer, and so have a basis for trusting his quality, why didn't you just say so up front? :shrugs:

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
First. DUH.

Shall we discuss the finer points of steel selection in AR bolt carriers? I lean toward 9310 Steel as opposed to the milspec Carpenter 158. But I suppose we'd also have to delve into hardening methods to be thorough.
Second. My manufacturer runs 5 axis mills and the parts I have made are to the 10,000th of an inch. I've never had them stamp a part for me, but everything else has been spot on and I'm sure we could have worked out the particulars.
Last time I try to do something nice for people on the internet. Hope your bracket lasts a lifetime.
How did this conversation morph into AR bolt carrier steel?!
Steels Not even in same ballpark as a pump bracket.

Best CNC machines in China will not matter a bit if their not staffed with knowledgeable and experienced people.
Some things in China are made extremely well.
Most are not.
It is what it is.

Sensitive I see.
This is the wrong crowd to pout to.
Just saying......

cucvrus

Sir on a nice note I appreciate the thought. But yes just walk away. You are in a losing battle. If you did have them made they could be perfect and still have a failure. When I was younger I had a tin sign and it was a big sign with flags and presidents pictures. In the middle was the Iwo Jima flag raising. In Red White & Blue letters it said. Be American Buy American. It was a really nice metal sign. And in the bottom right corner the sign was marked Made in Japan. My Dad was a bar owner and Korean war vet. The sign has been lost in history. I still remember a lot of guys laughing about that sign. I never really understood it till I grew up. But I agree. China things are NOT as bad as they are made out to be. The current production vehicles are built with world wide parts. They are getting more use and mileage then the vehicles of the past. Many harnesses and parts are made in China. I think the first time I recall seeing ROC parts was on a 1982 Ford F150. The harness under the hood was made in Taiwan. Same goes for the newer Chevrolets/GM products. Many Chinese made parts. They are still decent useable vehicles. It is a mind set that is hard to change. And yes parts made in USA/China? Mexico are not always the best. But a P/S bracket is fairly straight forward. It is to hold and adjust a belt. I looked at them. If never available again. I could fab one up with flat bar a welder, drill and grinder. I would scout around and get a few alternator brackets to cut time and save work. They have some very useful slotted adjustment slots on them. But I thank you for the offer. I am a rare guy. I enjoy the challenge of making something from nothing. I save small dumb pieces that are very useful to myself and others. I have 3 trailer loads of scrap today. So I don't save everything. Have a Great Day. Thank you again.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks