• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Member Engine Help

ironworksfab

Hello guys,
Just wanted to say Hi from Pennsylvania. I am a new member who just bought his first Deuce. I have been reading up on current posts and reading all the TM's I could on this awesome machine. So my question is this. The Deuce I bought was a 1970 Keiser with winch and the LDT-465-1D engine in it. When I bought the truck it was in running codition. The guy I bought it from drove it up for me and delivered it. Everything seemed fine up until I drove it for the first time. Now I am an engineer currently and was once a mechanic as well. When I took it out on the road it had almost no power at all. No black smoke when I put the pedal to the floor nothing. It would pull maybe 45 tops and would slow down that I would have to downshift even when going up a small incline on normal roads. So anyway I got it home broke out the TM on the injector pump and started wrenching. I got it to idle fine correct fuel delivery pressure and what not. Then when I had my head in there after I shut the engine down I heard this hissing. I followed it and found out it was coming from the oil cap? A slow steady hissing noise when I took off the oil cap. Is this normal on these engines? From my experience it tells me there is a leak somewhere but from where? The engine is off and there is no air in air the tank system. Could this be a blown head gasket? I thought the boiling coolant might be forcing itself through into one of the cylinders where the valve was slightly open and i could hear the hissing noise. I am not getting any white smoke from the exhaust when idling. I had a few puffs of white smoke yesterday when I really got on the pedal, but then again the engine was still warming up and the temp was well below freezing with wind gusts to 50mph. Not a good day to be working outside :grin:. Any input you guys would have would be greatly appreciated. If anybody is in the Myerstown PA area and needs any heavy welding or fabrication needs done on there deuce I would be glad to help a fellow member out. I have a small fab shop in the myerstown area. Thanks again guys and I appreciate all the help.

Zach K.
Ironworks Fabrication

m35tech

Ironworksfab, check your Fluids, coolant, Oil, make sure theres no water in your oil, at first it sounded like your turbo went south, second what are your gauges showing when the engine was started, oil pressure, and then when the engine is running/driving oil and temp....

Barrman

You stated no air in the tanks, but if you just had the truck running, there should be air in the tanks. I point that out so my next statement won't sound stupid. The air compressor uses engine oil for lubrication. It then drains back to the engine oil pan. If you compressor has bad rings and lots of blow by, air from the tanks could be getting past the check valve (Which really doesn't start working until you get 30-50 psi) and then be getting past your air compressor rings into the engine oil pan.

Check your intank fuel pump and all 3 fuel filters. Even if you get clear good looking fuel out of the drain, you could still have clogged up filters. Pull them, replace them, clean out the cans and see what happens. NAPA 3511 is the primary and NAPA 3512 is the secondary number. You need two secondary filters.

My truck started up with just the push of a button in OKC the first time I saw it. It also screamed to 2500 rpm in 5th real fast with a M105 in the bed and another hooked to the pintle. 50 gallons of WMO and a 400 mile trip later the darn thing wouldn't even hit 45 on a flat stretch empty. I have replaced both secondary filters once and the primary filter 3 times now. It runs better each time.

ironworksfab

Guys,
Thanks for all the information and replies. mistaken1 thanks for that link for the engine manual I will take a look at that today. Yesterday I drove her for about 1 hour and felt a little more power coming back. The temp guage just started to climb above 150 which tells me maybe the thermostat is stuck open? It was about 37 degrees yesterday with no wind and driving for an hour should heat it up to about 180? am I correct? I am going to change all the primary and secondary filters on it today. I did drain them but only got good fuel out of the drains no rust or anything. The guy I bought it from had a 80/20 mix of diesel to WMO so I am thinking they need changed. The oil pressure is holding at about 60psi when idling and about 75psi when driving on the road. M35tech I hope the turbo did not go out on me it seemes like it is ok but I can't be sure without pulling it off. Does anybody know what the steel fitting on the bottom of the turbo is for? it is about 1" in diameter and exits along side of the fitting that goes into the crankcase. The hose that goes into the crank case is there but this other fitting does not have a hose on it. is that just a drain? there is some oil residue on it but it is not dripping. On the headgasket subject. I did have it idling yesterday and had the cap off after it warmed up a little. I did not see any air bubbles in the coolant and no noticable smell of antifreeze in the exhaust. I will try all the things mentioned above. Thanks guys for all the info.