• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Member from Arizona

CMC Pete

New guy from Arizona, and I could use some assistance on a tire/wheel question.

What would be the appropriate tire/wheel combination that I could install on my CUCV without having to use a body kit. The 4:56 gears and 55 mph is is
brutal on the engine, and hopefully I can find out if 31's may fit on the truck and help out with the rpm. Other wise, I am considering 3:73's but the local GM dealer informed me that the rear carriier has to be changed for that application8).

Any ideas would be appreciated. Picture of my CUCV coming soon. Thanks for the help!

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the site. Lots of new people in AZ lately.

I too am wondering what the largest tires to put on a CUCV pickup without cutting the fenders or lifting it.

CMC Pete

It is a M1008, use to belong to the Navy from Mobile Inshore Unit 12 out of San Diego. I am finishing it up to look like the CUCV's back in the day when they were issued to the Seabees. Picked it up in Barstow last year through the GOV Liq. auction site. Have a buddy back in Port Hueneme, Cali. that confirmed the last duty staion for this vehicle.

CMC Pete

Really appreciate the input, I may run by one of the local tire and wheel suppliers and see what may work. Thank you again!

Pete

jimmy-90

Hey welcome to the site and yep this a good place to ask questions and find info about cucv related stuff. Im running 34X10.50-16 super swamper LTBs with no lift at all and NO FINDER TRIMMING either as you can see in my avatar/profile pic over to the left of this post. The truck still accelerates pretty close to the same and the increased tire size makes sustaining 55mph alot easier on the motor. If you decide to get into the 33 1/2 or 34" tire range be sure to get skinny ones otherwise they will probly rub when you turn the wheel.

CMC Pete

Thanks for the information, what kind of wheels? Military? I had considered looking about to see if the early HUMVV wheels would work, however they are usually 16.5. I did see a few of the M1008's using that set up over in Camp Fallujah, however they did rub some up front. They sure looked awsome!

ALFA2

CMC Pete, Welcome to the site, you will find all the info you need to get your truck going here.

As for wheels, with stock rims, 31" are normal 33" can be fit, but depend on how settled is your suspension, as in sagging springs.. There are several members here that have used and are using HUMVV wheels on their trucks, I believe they use a spaces to do it without tire to truck contact. I do not know how big a spacer...

Possibly, someone with a 1008 will chime in to help.

Thanks.

ALFA2

CMC Pete

Thanks for all the support and welcomes that I received so far. No doubt I will receive a lot of good input on the wheels. Seems trivial, but I never would have thought that I would have bought the CUCV, especially with some of the trouble that I saw on these in the past. As for the wheels, ****...I bet we ditched at least 6 sets before we ripped out of Iraq....guess I should have sent them home. As for the tires, we could not run the bias..we had a conex full that we sent down to Camp Morell in exchange for the new radials. Not to mention all the stuff that ended up buried or burn't at the landfill. Think my next project will be a duece and a half. Just gotta figure a way to get one from Barstow, or find something roadworthy in New Mexico if the price is right. Pete