• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New member from Atlanta GA - looking for MV to pull a single car trailer

Dollar Bill

Hello all, I am looking for some kind of military vehicle I can use to pull a single car trailer.

My buddy has a M1028. Looks good and seems to have enough oomph to pull a 10k GVW trailer.

I restore and show old Cadillacs. These weigh between 5,000 to 6,600 pounds. I don't as yet have an enclosed trailer so I am looking for one of these also. As one of my cars is 22 feet long a 26' trailer eight feet wide would be about right.

I have no interest in getting something like every other PU or SUV on the road. My buddy's M1028 looks good, however the gearing is a bit low at 4.55. I will be mostly on expressways.

I know zero about MVs, but always liked them. Which CCUV or ??? would work for me? And where would I find one?

Appreciate any help,
Bill

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Any of the CUCV's M1008, M1009, M1028 you may not be happy with. The 6.2l diesel is not a powerhouse when loaded with a trailer. In fact you will be moving up hill with a heavy load at 30 mph or less in the mountains. The CUCV II may be an option but they are not as plentiful.

If you got a 900 series truck either cargo and or tractor with an A2 which has the 8.3 turbo engine you might be happier but still you are not talking a speed demon. You would have to outfit a hitch for normal ball style trailer or get a pintle based trailer.

If it was me I would get a M931A2 tractor, remove the 5th wheel and put a small M105 bed on the tractor. Then get a pintle hitch based trailer.

Dollar Bill

Swiss, thank you for the reply. the M931a2 tractor looks like a monster! Would it take something that big to pull a 10k lb trailer? Maybe I am overreaching and need to be thinking something more mainstream.

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Another option is a CUCV with 4:11 axles and a turbo install. Will do alot better on the highways for sure. What about a suburban clone? I have seen a few of those done, and a gasser might work better for you for this description. But......depending on how far you have to go, can't arrive with more ooomph than a 5 ton. No one will miss that arrival......

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is a good reason why you don't see hotshot haulers and others using military trucks for over the road hauling.

Go mainstream or build what you need, your choice.

3dAngus

10000 pounds is a lot of weight. You are talking civy trailer with military truck if I understand it right. Most military trucks have 24v electrical systems. What kind of braking system does the trailer have? I'm usually more worried about braking than pulling. Good luck with it, whatever you decide. And give us some pictures when you get it all worked out.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
So, I've had Mules, Jeeps, Deuces, CUCVs and even a 5-ton.

And I loved 'em all (except the CUCVs rofl).

But you'd be so much better off buying a used Cummins Dually.

Excluding Mules and Jeeps for obvious reasons, you come to CUCVs.

1009's won't cut it because they're half-tons and too short. The 3.08 gears can be changed but not the other stuff.

The 1008s and the 1028s are 4.56 and no overdrive. If I had one, I'd do an NV4500 swap but it would still be waaay underpowered, no a/c, etc. Not to mention you're stuck with standard cabs.

Deuces are 50-60mph, 7-10mpg, hot, slow, take a mile to turn around, are standard cabs, will require a lot of maintenance (in comparison to a modern pickup), you'll wear out tires really fast, etc.

5-tons are more of the same, except some of them are a little faster.

The issues with the 24V system are manageable but a hassle regardless.

I have no interest in getting something like every other PU or SUV on the road.
While I understand that sentiment and in my youth, used it as an excuse to drive any number of phenomenally impractical daily drivers (340, 4speed, 4.10 Duster, etc.), the real reason that everyone is using the same equipment is because that's what works.

MV's are cool and awesome and I love mine but I accept them for what they are. They aren't highway trailer haulers.

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
I've trailered a couple of vehicles with my m1028. Is it the preferred truck for towing cars? Definitely not. Will it do it? Yes, but I wouldn't take it on the highway, or anywhere there is a decent amount of hills. I used my 1028 to tow a blazer a couple hundred miles from upstate NY (55mph max roads, and almost all flat ground), and it made the trip no problem. I didn't buy the truck with towing in mind, but I don't have anything better to use (and don't need anything better because I rarely tow that much).

If I were you I would look for something with more power that is capable of highway speeds, and there aren't many MVs like that (except the CUCV II, and LSSV).
DSCN0800.jpgDSCN0796.jpg

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I currently own a M1008 that has a turbo. I'm going to install a 700-R4 overdrive into it. I tow some trailers like a M105 with it from time to time. That's only 2700lbs. It does fine. But I'm gear limited. Even with the turbo and 37" tires. Cruising speed it only 65mph.

I've also owned a 4x4 Dodge 2500 with a cummins. Course I had done a lot to it. But it was a dream to tow stuff with. Might have had something to do with the 484rwhp it would put down. :mrgreen:

If you absolutely want to pursue this path, I would say a M1008/M1028 would be a decent platform. But if I'm going to haul stuff all over the place, it'd get a 5.9 Cummins and a NV4500 or NV5600 swap to make it useful. (As well as AC, sound deadening material, stereo, and likely a harness swap to simplify things.)