• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New member from British Columbia

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Hi all. I picked up what I believe is an all original '86 M1008, less it's 6.2, recently. Looking forward to the wealth of resources and knowledge this forum offers while I put some life back into it. View attachment 891358View attachment 891359View attachment 891360View attachment 891358View attachment 891359View attachment 891360
Welcome to the Outfit!

Looks good. Nice sheetmetal for sure.
Now all you need is a powerplant...

You might want to go download the TM's (Technical Manuals) for your new-to-you truck.

Last edited:

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your pictures (the background) is the only way it seems i ever got to do the daunting task of leaving Edmonton for Vancouver at least twice every winter across the Canadian Rockies and mostly 2 lane for those that havent and always on top of snow and ice ! Have you ever seen it all melted LMAO ????? Welcome Aboard !

Those pictures look like they were taken on 5 somewhere south of Kamloops on the NEW road i call it wide seperated 4 lane interstate !

Buck69

Your pictures (the background) is the only way it seems i ever got to do the daunting task of leaving Edmonton for Vancouver at least twice every winter across the Canadian Rockies and mostly 2 lane for those that havent and always on top of snow and ice ! Have you ever seen it all melted LMAO ????? Welcome Aboard !

Those pictures look like they were taken on 5 somewhere south of Kamloops on the NEW road i call it wide seperated 4 lane interstate !
Thanks, and yes, you nailed it! We were returning home (Terrace) with it from Kelowna. Pic was taken at a brake check not far out of Merrit a few weeks ago. It was -18 c that day. The traction and scenery was great.

Buck69

Welcome to the Outfit!

Looks good. Nice sheetmetal for sure.
Now all you need is a powerplant...

You might want to go download the TM's (Technical Manuals) for your new-to-you truck.
Thanks! The whole truck is in remarkable condition.
It is my understanding that the original 6.2's were not a desirable option. I have a 5.7 built at the shop I am going to try in it. May look to go another direction if I'm not happy with that result.
The truck is still under US title. Will need to go through a full inspection to transfer it to CA.
I did find the manuals and downloaded them. Was pretty happy to see them so joined/supported this forum.
Also ordered an OE manual to help me with any electrical differences.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Thanks! The whole truck is in remarkable condition.
It is my understanding that the original 6.2's were not a desirable option. I have a 5.7 built at the shop I am going to try in it. May look to go another direction if I'm not happy with that result.
The truck is still under US title. Will need to go through a full inspection to transfer it to CA.
I did find the manuals and downloaded them. Was pretty happy to see them so joined/supported this forum.
Also ordered an OE manual to help me with any electrical differences.
We have a member here going through the inspection process in Germany. That appears to be a "Royal Pain" to say the least. Their standards wouldn't allow a motor swap - so be sure to read up on the inspection process where you are!

I think I would be pretty irritated if I stuck in a new motor and discovered (after all that work) that it wasn't allowed during some sort of government inspection.

Last edited:

Buck69

We have a member here going through the inspection process in Germany. That appears to be a "Royal Pain" to say the least. Their standards wouldn't allow a motor swap - so be sure to read up on the inspection process where you are!

I think I would be pretty irritated if I stuck in a new motor and discovered (after all that work) that it wasn't allowed during some sort of government inspection.
Hmmm. Well thanks and yes, I will look into that before any changes to the original power are made. You are right. It would be a royal pain to have to back up my progress for the inspection after the repower.
The RPO codes list it at a Tier 0 emission level due to it's GVW. Never thought the fuel type and displacement could be an issue.
It is also missing the radiator, shrouding and some minor little things. The inside door panels don't match the dash. I would also like to add fuel capacity down the road. Was thinking of maybe just grabbing another truck for parts. There are a couple 2WD options with shot bodies that are relatively cheep that are available with running 6.2's. May have to go that route first if they don't give me the answer I am hoping for.
Thanks!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks